1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Genesis

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, May 16, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ricky Gervais is taken in by Genesis...

This is extremely funny, Gervais' dry, sarcastic humour absolutely slaughters me. Worth a watch. Thought I'd put it in AODA as it's bound you get your NOG's and your Gnarff's mardying with "he doesn't know what he's talking about!"

Great stuff though, comments on this video and genesis welcome!

2. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

The wrong Genesis. I was expecting Phil Collins :( .

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was thinking Star Trek the Wrath of Khan

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

it was damn fun, and imho he does have a point about the whole snake thing

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, the passage is actually implying that the snake used to have legs. Ironically, there is some evidence that they once did. This is the problem when you analyze jokes. Nearly any joke, once analyzed, ceases to be funny.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    The bit where he's on about creating man and woman kills me. It's his face and the way he delivers it. Pml. "Gonna make her out of dust?", "No, one of your ribs", "You can't do that.. ah!" :lol:

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, this REALLY does fit into Whatnots, so, moving.

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Meh, the Peter Gabriels area was arguably better IMO. In fact most fan agrees.

By the way; pretty funny video there mate :lol:

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    :lol:

Good one, BA!

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I find this just as offensive as the joke about the first profession!

Ok, here goes, there's a doctor, an engineer, and a politician drinking at a bar and talking about the first profession ever. Oddly, they're all Christians, but don't worry about that. The doctor says it was when God took the rib out of Adam to make Eve. He says "There you have it, surgory, and anesthetics, too! Medicine was the first profession." The engineer looks at the doctor and says, "How can you say that? Don't you remember when, in the beginning, God made everything out of chaos? That's engineering. Engineering was the first profession." Finally, the politician chimes in and says, "Who do you think made all the chaos?"

Ok, so maybe its better in person, but I like that joke.

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Like WotW, I was thinking "I didn't know Ricky could play drums and sing?" :lol:

As it stands, there seems to be some issue with me and YouTube today - I've spent five minutes reading these posts, and the clip is not loading at ALL. :(

But I know enough of Mr. Gervais' material to know what he says on this topic to be giggle-worthy. :)

In closing, two points:
    @flix - well, better or worse, the band was much more popular with Phil behind the drums and mic, than with Peter, so :p

@NOG - just to hammer that vaguely "a blank, a blank and a blank walk into a bar" joke into non-funniness, technically the first "profession" where someone was PAID to do something for someone else would have either been FARMER ("help me harvest this grain and I'll give you some") or HUNTER ("help me kill that <ancient herbivore> and I'll split the meat with you"), so double :p

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Popularity doesn't necceseraly means better. I know this is a matter of taste, but most genesis fan (or rather fanatic) I know agree that the Gabriels area was better.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Bill Cosby did some Genesis based routines, and they were funny without being offensive. Until I see Mr. Gervais performing his routine (which I can't do because I'm on Dial up access), I can't fairly comment.

14. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, after defragging my HD and rebooting my PC, router and DSL modem, YouTube seems to cooperate a little more...

...but then it stops at four minutes. :confused:

But what I have seen of Mr. Gervais' bit is as funny as Bill Cosby's take on Noah (the only religious skit I've seen of his)

EDIT: After trying to link around in YT and find a clip that doesn't die after 4:11 for me (I think it's just my PC/OS/browser/etc because it's happening for DIFF clips that are longer than 4min), I found this. :jawdrop:

Well.....um, maybe Ricky could help Mike and Tony out... :whoa:

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    He's absolutely hilarious. That kind of dry sarcasm cracks me up. Look for more clips from his Animals show.

"As you know I'm half French, half English.. don't get me started on the French.. please, just don't get my started on the French.. they know about Animals, they ****in eat most of 'em! So yeah, I am half French, half English so I have characteristics of both.. so I am crap in bed, but at least I've got bad breath"

When most comedians sort of copy someone else, I don't really know anyone similar to Gervais.. really funny style!

By the way, Jaded Empath, where are you from if you don't mind me asking mate?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.