1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Geneva Conventions

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Kartiel Darkstar, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kartiel Darkstar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Do you think that these rules are good bad or neither, voice your opinoins here.

[ November 19, 2004, 02:34: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Good, with a "but".

I think they are somewhat flawed, but necessary nonetheless. They are framed for a Western view of the world and the rules of engagement, and as such are somewhat ethnocentric. That said, there needs to be some restriction on human behaviour during wartime to avoid even more excessive abuses and violations - especially since we've had the ability to destroy the world for the last 60 years. Anyone who's played BG1 (or read Nietzsche) should know this quote:

"He who fights monsters should take care, that he does not become a monster himself..."

War is rotten. It's not meant to be pretty, and you aren't able to think about the people shooting at you as otherwise decent, caring individuals much like yourself. The Geneva convention at least provides some assurances that not all humanity is forgotten in wartime, as does the existence of a body to try those who violate it.

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

It is meaningless. It is only enforceable upon those who choose to honor it, and as is well demonstrated by the actions of the insurgents in Iraq, it does not turn the world against those who violate it regularly. Hell, half the world celebrates every atrocity committed by these lunatics.

We live in a new era, and some of the rules of the old era have to be revised.

That doesn't mean that I think that civilized nations shouldn't try to wage war with as high a code of humanity possible. But if a side chooses to booby trap themselves, surrender falsely, or play dead or incapacitated only to pull out a machine gun from under their robes, the shouldn’t expect a whole lot of quarter.

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@ Darkwolf: Good point - I should have added "somewhat obsolete" to that list of criticisms. It can only really apply to a war between nations or identified factions.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't think insurgents are concerned about the 'geneva convention' (due to their nature) but it is very necessary for an (official) army to observe and obey these proceedures.

If you take the example of N.Ireland. Bush actually said that N.Ireland needs to shut down its army bases and have peace talks with terrorists. I don't see the US doing the same thing with Iraqi insurgents or Osma Bin Laden.

The USA has always critizes N.I's policy of dealing with terrorists which is much less harsh than the USA's treatment of civilians abroad never mind terrorists!

Don't forget that N.Ireland and Britian are allies to the USA and they fought side-by-side during the World Wars (though hollywood movies seem to think that Britian had a small part and NI no part at all) and now Iraq and Afghanistan. Supporting these N.I terrorists is a big insult to Britian and I am sure the famalies of the victims of the Omagh bombing and Docklands bombings will agree.

If we must observe the 'Geneve Conventions' and more so must the US.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Tell me about this new era and answer my two questions because I don't understand your sweeping critique:
    • Tell me what rules don't work anymore, and why.
    • Tell me what rules need to be revised, and why.
    I'm breathlessly expecting your reply.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely good. No doubt in my mind.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.