1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gens?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Blades of Vanatar, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I was downloading some old games from various abandoware sites(Ultima and M&M series, all of the SSI oldschool games, etc... and came across "Warsong", a Sega Genesis game from way back when. I belive it is a Langrisser game for the US. Someone converted this for PC. I downloaded it, clicked on the GENS icon and opended up the Warsong.bin file and I was playing. Just had to reconfigure the keyboard settings to my liking, took a whlo minute to do so. Awesomeness!:)

Does anyone else know of anymore of these console games that are available w/out having to use an emulator? Specifically, the Shining Force games or possibly Final Fantasy 1-4 and FF-Tactics? I also enjoyed the 7th Saga on Super-nintendo as well.

2. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

It is a Langrisser game (awesome series). I don't know of any other converted games; but I can provide you with a good emulator for use on a console (PGEN is for PS2 and works great) if you want.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

PGENS? I 'll have to google it, unless you got a link handy?......;)

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Blades, GENS is an emulator. What you actually downloaded was an emulator with a rom in it. You could take any other genesis roms* on your computer, move them the the same directory as your Warsong rom (good strategy game, by the way, but the story line was cheesy as hell) and play those games as well using the version of GENS you downloaded.

As for the PS2 port of PGEN, even on the most recent version, Warsong is buggy as hell and the fan-translated sequel doesn't work at all. Shining Force has a fairly serious conversation bug (the game registers all player responses as "yes") and Shining force 2 doesn't work at all. Most of the Phantasy Star titles I checked work just fine. ;) There's a decent SNES emulator for PS2 as well and, yes, a good portion of the SNES games you mentioned will work.

Of course, to make any of those emulators work, you'll need a way to run homebrew apps on your PS2. http://sksapps.com/ is the best place to look for emulators to run on your PS2 -- and they can also give you detailed instructions for running PS2 homebrew. You don't have to modify your system to run homebrew. If you're serious about pursuing this and need any help, feel free to send me a PM.

* ...and probably master system, sg 1000, sega cd (these would be iso images rather than rom files), sega 32x, and game gear roms. Depending on your version of GENS, they'll all work, although you'd need to download some bios files to make the Sega CD and 32X files work.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  5. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Soft modding the PS2 is pretty easy. There is a method to burn uLaunch onto a CD or by adding a modified file to the memory card so you can start the FMCB elf that way.

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Just putting Ulaunch on a cd isn't enough. An unmodded PS2 will not recognize and play such a disk, and it won't boot. To get Free MCBoot (for the uninitiated, the MC stands for "memory card") onto a ps2 memory card, you'll need a modded system, a Memor32 memory card, swap magic or another "swap trick" exploit, HD Loader and the independence exploit, or Action Replay. I'm sure my list missed an exploit or two, but the point is that you'll need access to some method of launching homebrew in order to get Free MCBoot onto a memory card.

7. Shardnax Gems: 6/31

Veteran

Blades, if you need the files required and an explanation of how to do it let me know. Basically you need a cheat device or some means of moving a modified file from a flash drive to the memory card and a PSOne game. Drew, obviously it won't recognize it, otherwise piracy would be common.

You can always go to SKS Apps and follow the guide there (it has pictures :D). They also have all the files you need to do it and a good selection of tools and emulators (PGEN is there too).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.