1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting a new computer on the cheap

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Drew, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've got $500 I'd like to drop on a new CPU. (Just the CPU. I don't need new peripherals.) I already have legal copies of the software I need and plan on building it myself. I need some advice on where I should be getting my parts and what type of system I should be building. I intend to use the system primarily for gaming and graphics programs but don't need the system to be top of the line. (Obviously. Otherwise I'd be dropping more than 500 bucks.) I would give stability a higher priority than performance. Thanks for any help!

2. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Maybe list where about you are. Since I don't think you will travel over half the world for parts ;)

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

MSI Neo4 mobo
    AMD64 3500+ CPU
    And a used PCI-e card (GeForce 6600 GT or so).

Total: 400-450 €. In dollars it's just-and-just in your price-range and is probably the wisest purchase ATM. Also, their prices are supposed to drop during this month, so you might get a slightly better CPU if you wait a little while longer.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah and you could also get a used CPU. I wouldn't really trust a used motherboard. Most motherboards have some sort of onboard sound device, so you can put off the Audigy purchase till later or you can buy a used SB Live for a couple of bucks. You can't really get much better than Live, anyway. It's better than most of the new stuff and I know what I'm saying since I gave one away last summer. When it comes to disks, you're probably better off with speed rather than capacity.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Some websites I'd suggest:

NewEgg - I usually find the best prices here, with some of the lowest shipping costs.

Price Grabber - This sites searches all over the net for you to find whatever item you're looking for at it's lowest price.

As for building a new computer from scratch, I would highly suggest this:

Mobo: Abit IC7-G
    CPU: Intel P4 @ 3.4GHz
    RAM: OCZ 512MB @ DDR400 (PC 3200)

Now, that will put you right around $475 USD (without shipping). You might not need the ram if you already have a stick or two of DDR400 RAM. The motherboard is a rock solid mobo from Abit, and is the exact mobo I have. I would recomend it to anyone. As for the CPU, it *is* an Intel chip...so if your one of those AMD people, forget about the CPU and the Mobo...even though this CPU is pretty cheap right now, and it is very fast. But if you want to go a little cheaper, the Intel P4 3.2GHz and 3.0GHz are still pretty fast, and are cheaper too.

Hope that helps. :rolling:

6. Drew

Media:
    Thanks all. I also should have probably mentioned I live in Iowa city, Iowa. It looks like I'll actually be able to get a better system than I expected, too. I really do appreciate the advice and especially the links since I'm too lazy to shop around. :)

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I would not go with an Intel CPU. An AMD Athlon 64 will give you better performance and will probably be cheaper.

The hardest thing is the video card. Most good video cards will go for more than $500, but you might be able to get a GeForce FX 6600 or a GeForce4 for that price.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Even the cheapest GF6600 performs better than GF4. 6600 should cost about 100 bucks used, 200 new, whereas GF4 would cost about 50. Bought mine a few weeks ago for 100 and it's just waiting for the new comp. Of course, a used GF6800 GT might be a good deal too, if you can find one from auctions.

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, maybe if you have an Operating System that supports 64 bit technology...until then I stick with my, "AMD is crap! Always has been, and always *will* be!" rant.

There are Intel guys, and there are AMD guys...just like there are nVidia guys, and ATI guys. Put the two together and no one will ever get along. :rolleyes: :rolling:

10. chevalier

Media:
    Don't buy any GeForce 4 as it doesn't have hardware support of DirectX 9. For games, you'll be better off with a GF6600GT coupled with an Athlon CPU (those things have some special functions for games). Myself, I go with Intel, but old habits are hard to change. ;)

Note: Not all GF6600s are GT. Make sure it has GT on it or it isn't worth it. You may want to get something ATI-made, but I wouldn't take anything below Radeon 9800 and it must be noted that ATI makes crappy software (the hardware is probably better than nVidia's) and nVidia is way better in terms of compatiblity, avoiding problems, user-friendliness and the like. Unless my info is outdated. ;)

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

pricewatch.com

anything you want, you get them from cheap apartment based online computer company.

12. chevalier

Media:
    They have good prices for Radeon 9600XT. GeForce 6200 is cheaper and newer than that, but behind in performance. The prices for GF6600GT aren't bad but certainly not shocking. Don't buy any Radeon lower than 9550 (9500 was a great card but doesn't support the new things) or GF lower than 5200. Avoid anything LE (Limited Edition), SE (Speedy Edition = crap). XT is good for a Radeon (extended IIRC), bad for a GeForce (especially 5700XT sucks like hell, but 5900XT is almost as good as a regular 5900).

13. Drew

Media:
    Thanks all for the advice. Looks to me like the graphics card is going to be my second biggest investment. Kind of ironic, huh?

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Gainward GeForce 6600 256 Mt Golden Sample PCI-E = 120 €. Decend card.

And good news: the CPU prices have fallen. You can now get AMD64 3500+ for about 230 € and 3700+ for 280 €. Used even cheaper. :D

15. chevalier

Media:
    Is that GT or just 6600? You could get a GT for that price here.

16. teekc Gems: 23/31

one big thing i just encountered recently, if you play ff7 or ff8 pc version, it uses a 8 bit graphic thingy, the problem is, ATI card doesn't support that and nvdia wrote a little patch for that. you compare this aspect yourself.

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Can't you use your onboard monitor output then?

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Why bother when you can just get the PSX version, download ePSXe (emulator), and play on it with enhanced gameplay.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31

you guys missed the key point of my sentence

"ATI card doesn't support that and nvdia wrote a little patch for that"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.