1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting the find traps/open lock ability on a monk

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Yoshimo's Heart, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Hello all been a while. My question is whether it is possible to get the use thief ability to open locks and disarm traps with a monk.

So I was just thinking that if I recall correctly in BG1 Tiax had to have his use thief ability button in his special abilities due to having too many abilities to fit on the bottom bar. If that is the case then there must be a special ability somewhere which will let me add that.

Regardless of method is it possible? I sure hope so. I also wish there was a way to add the IWD evasion ability to the monk but I don't think anybody has done a mod for that yet.

EDIT: Also is there a way to get 17+ con bonus to hp on a monk without using shadow keeper to directly modify my HP?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Resourceful

Manual says that they can't disarm traps or open locks. If they dual-class to a Thief they could alter the ability buttons at the bottom of the screen.

3. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I do not believe the game engine will allow me to dual class a monk. Oddly the monk class in 1e (that the BG2 monk is heavily based upon) did have open locks and remove traps.

4. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

I forgot that stupid BG2 rule that dualling is only possible if the result is a valid vanilla multi-class combination.

5. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I hear you. I always want to play a monk/thief, bard/fighter, bard/thief. I also wish that singing did not end while you do melee attacks.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Why would a monk be able to pick locks and disarm traps? It has nothing to do with the class at all.

7. Ishad Nha Gems: 7/31

Resourceful

You could say the same about Rangers casting Mage spells, it is just First Edition silliness.

8. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

I believe the original book series and character that the 1e monk was based upon made use of skills that are well represented by thief skills such as unlocking locks and disabling mechanical devices. Later on the more Asian flare was emphasized.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    You can edit hpconbon.2da in near infinity to enable extended constitution bonuses. Just edit the "other" column to make it match the "warrior" column. This will cause all non-warrior classes to benefit from extended constitution bonuses. I've done that for it my install, and can verify that it works. Candidly, i am surprised no one has ever added this as a tweak pack component. There's only one minor issue, and it really is very minor. The engine assumes that non-warriors will not get additional constitution bonuses when computing their hit points for level 1 -- and only for level 1. Mages, for example, automatically get 6HP for level 1, even with an 18 constitution. In other words instead of having 62 HP (28 HP for being a level 7 Mage + 28 due to the Constitution bonus + the extra 6 HP every newly generated SOA or TOB character gets), a newly generated level 7 Mage, created on easy with an 18 constitution, would only have 60 HP. No big deal.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, no -- there is not a similar table you can edit to do this for exceptional strength. You'll still need SK, NI or DLTCEP for that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Thanks that helps one of the issues I have! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.