1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gibberlings as a race

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kuemper, Jan 2, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Can anyone point me somewhere on the 'Net or post here about gibberlings? All I know is from BG games, but I need some more insight into their society(?) and habits(?) and my Google search kept giving me the Gibberlings 3 mod group. :bad: TIA. :)

2. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

The only time I remember seeing Giberlings was in the monster manual 2nd edition. They are extremely unintelligent and chaotic just running around in hordes destroying the counrtyside. In old school D&D if a gibb had a level in something something strange is going on. I have yet to see the gibb in 3 or 3.5 though but I will keep looking.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Excerpts from the Monstrous Manual, p.149:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, would it be too out there to think gibberlings performed 'ceremonies'?

I'm trying to explain why they were (in BG) around a small tower in the Wood of Small Teeth, sitting on a mound of bones and hanging around a blood-covered wall (area where you find Lena and Samuel). The last 2 could be expained with it was eating time, but what about that tower?

5. Felinoid

Very. As for the Tower, you could just as well ask what they were doing near Laurel the paladin, or a dozen other places. If they're not killing or eating, they're looking for something to kill or eat, or else they're sleeping.

That's how I justify meeting gibberlings in the day, anyway. Stumble on a burrowed gibb, it smells meat and wakes up to attack. Being in groups just means that there aren't any easy prey nearby for them singly.

6. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

And why does that make them sound so powerful?

In BG, they are one hit to kill, if you come back. I think they should've been as hard as Ankheg, and you'd have to run away from them!

7. Felinoid

They are powerful...by the hundreds. Individually they're easy to take down, but even kobolds could overwhelm you if there were enough of them. The difference is that there's supposed to be hordes of gibberlings, where others come in much smaller groups. Compare the "No. Appearing" of kobolds (5-20) or goblins (4-24) to gibberlings (40-400), and you can see what I mean.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It was probably not technologically feasible to animate 400 gibberlings in BG. Maybe you were just lucky that you only came across a few scattered loners.

9. Felinoid

They could have done goblins instead. Basically the same thing, and more usual to boot.

10. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Always found it strange that BG1 never had goblins or orcs, the two most common enemies in fantasy settings ?

Personally i was more curious about the "Diseased gibberling" iirc. that one always confused me, diseased ? did he walk to much in the sun ?

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gibberlings are funnier than goblins because of all the gibbering they do. Goblins take themselves a bit more seriously.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.