1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gleeful moments of gaming

Discussion in 'Playground' started by joacqin, Oct 11, 2003.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you ever had moments in gaming where you have danced around in glee and worn a smug smiles for days? I had one a couple of days ago when playing Civ3: Play the world. I played on a huge map of Europe with only 7 civs all in all. I was Germany and started out in Britain. My isolated starting position was both an asset and a hindrance in the beginning as I was alone on the isle and had no one to trade techs with so when I got mapmaking to build me some longships I was quite a bit behind the others technology wise but I still managed to settle northern France and with some creative trading I soon caught up in the tech race.

Russia has been the dominant actor on the world stage for most of the game with a huge Empire spanning from Hungary in the east to Spain in the west, crossing over all of Central and Southern Europe. At the start of the industrial ages when I had just got infantry and artillery I had started to mass a bunch of troops to cut a swath out of the Russian empire, namely most of France and thereby cutting the Russian in half. Things didnt go as planned. The Russians attacked me before I did them but thankfully my military was mobilized and I had my infantry and artillery on the Russian border, unfortunately the Russian had infantry to, paired with vast amounts of Cossacks. A WW1 style trench war took shape with my tight stacks of infantry and artillery pounding the Russian border cities to ruins without being able to take them and the Russian cossacks wreaking havoc on my territory but unable to penetrate my infantry defended cities. I finally manage to take one of their cities after many many rounds of slaughter and the Russians accept my envoy, peace is reached but I have to pay the Russians a 100 gold, a trifle but still galling as I was the offended part.

In the following years of peace I discover the secret of mobile warfare and build my precious German panzers. I quickly build a large force of them and deploy them on the continent to wait for the moment when I am ready to strike at the Russians and pay back for the humiliating peace. A superbly perfect moment arrive as the Russians declare war on the Romans, who have an empire almost as large as the Russians situated more or less along the borders of the old Byzantine empire. To get to Roman territory the Russians have to cross the English. I rub my hands in anticipation as I wait a few rounds for the Russian army to move all its forces as far east as possible. When I deem the moment is correct I give the orders to my panzers to attack all Russian border cities simultaneously. My forces cut through the defending Russians like butter and it takes three turns for even the first feeble counter attack to arrive and by then the taken cities are firmly entrenched and my panzers rolling on already knocking down the gates of Moscow. Now when peace has just been reached and Russia is paying me 300 gold per turn I have succeeded in my plan to cut the Russians in half, gaining an immense amount of territory and crippled the Russians forever.

I just get this smug smile just thinking about the Russian high command, having devoted all their forces a long way from their empire and then having an unstoppable foe falling them in the back. If it had been real their faces must have been a priceless sight. Even in game it was hilarious, seeing their huge stacks of cossacks rushing over the continent to atleast try to stop the tanks. Perhaps it is just me as a civ freak that find stuff like this satisfying and gleeful but I am sure you people have stories of your own about various games when you have been full of glee about what the opponent does and you can exploit or anything at all than makes you feel smugly superiour.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In Age of Empires 2 with a friend. Me and him were allies and were kicking the arses of everyone. He was sending a rather large army through my borders consisting mainly of trebuchets. When we was in the centre of my city he betrayed me and destroyed it all in a few seconds.

Unknown to him I had a massive amount of trebuchets defending his city. These went into his city and somehow he failed to notice that his city was under attack until there were about 2 buildings left. By this time it was too late.
    The revenge strike didn't actually help me much, but it felt good. And in 20 minutes or so our empires were reduced to a few buildings on the corner of the map, where we continued fighting each other with a lack of resouces.
    But the important thing is that I got my revenge! :D

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    You like AoC Aikanaro?

That game rox. I play more than I do BG2.

I recently left a clan that was one of the most dominant in the UK.

If you want to arrange some games just PM me and ill be happy to train you up :cool: ....

... Or get my arse kicked :rolleyes:

[EDIT: Back on topic

Some of my most memorable moments of gamning were figuring out how to beat Kangaax on my own (probably not such a great achievement but it felt good :p ) playing through PS:T - that game is so cerebral its amazing, really makes you think. Many, many moments from the perfection of FPS that is Half-Life (sequel due out for xmas!). And quite a few more... :D

Gaming just rulez :p

4. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hummm, aoc, now that DOES bring back some memories.

My favorite moment has to be from that game, when I finally got above 1900 in rated DM. I was like, "YEA!!!"

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i reached 2k in rated, all on custom scenario's though. :D tek was...irritated when i beat him lol. :( i havent played the game in a long time since my sister broke my cd :mad: .

back to topic. My most memorable moment is when i beat LoS_QuAzZar 1v1 in hero fest. He had sent some jans in to get rid of my sherrifs, and i had about 200 sherrifs and about 150 jans, i sent the sherrifs to be my meat sheild and ripped him apart with my jans, and then i got to his castle and started hitting on it, then i got pushed back and we were at a standstill for about an hour, and then i finally got trebs and khans, only about 30 seconds before him and won. I was smiling for days since id beaten the best.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

In Natural Selection (a first-person shooter):

I was a skulk, wandering around the empty corridors of Eclipse Station. Like all skulks, I could walk along the walls and even ceiling. My enemies, the marines, had tech and weapons, us, the aliens, had claws, bites and different evolving forms. So, there I was, a louzy skulk, wandering around the corridors. Ya, no big surprise, I found a marine. Chomping him to death was no option, since he was fully teched up HA-man.

Regular marines are small and weak when compared to those; they shoot with light-machine guns and run around in happy circles when the aliens attack. HA's, on the other hand, do not need to jump and hop around: they smash through everything they can find with heavy-machine guns and granade launchers.

You guessed it: I didn't even think of attacking him. Na-a, no chance in hell that *I* would stick *my* arse before his 100-bullets-per-second gun; I liked of my arse without extra pepper, thank you very much. Unfortunately, he had already noticed me; staring at me through his heavy breath-mask, armored with plates.

"Ooohkayyy... now is good time to leave..." I decided, but to where? I was standing in middle of a corridor, behind me just a solid wall and the only way out was through the three corridors choke-point -from which I had happily wandered in, and which was now blocked by the HA-man.

He pulled his weapon, the massive machine-gun, aimed... I ran as fast as I could around the walls -literally.
    "Click, click"

:lol: The poor bastard was out-of-ammo! Maybe I wasn't wasted just yet... Still, heavy was a heavy, and a skulk had no chance against one. He did not waste another second to the empty clip, and pulled out his battle-knife, attempting to re-shape my currently very-well-formed-and-handsome-body. As he closed in, I retreated. Closed in-retreated. Until I hit the wall. So, with my so-alien-butt against the wall, and a heavy closing in with heavy "thud-by-thud" from his footsteps, I was out of ideas.

Nowhere to go, I did the last thing I could: climbed up the wall and to the corner. Now, imagine this: a small skulk cornered to a ceiling corner, a heavy with a knife, jumping like hell and trying to hit me in vain. :D So, I opened the chat-channel:

"LOL! Poor bastard! Can't hit me, can't ya?!"

He made another vain attempt to hit me. Thud. He missed once again.

"What's the matter? Got too much around the waist, eh?" :lol:

He stopped for a second to stare me. Not an emotion showed through the breathing mask. A gorge , one of my team-mates and one of the builders, came from behind a corner, glanced at the back of the HA-man, then, very-very quietly, left.

"Maybe if you jogged around a bit you could lose some weight? Hehe..." :D

At this point I received the only chat-message I had had from him thus far...

"Stop teasing me!"

Laughted like hell at that. :lol: Knowing that he could not do anything to me, he started to zig-zag away, but, unluckily, he had wasted too much time and one of my team-mates, a fade -one of the best shock-troopers of the aliens- blinked in to the corridor like from nowhere.

Without any bullets or back-up, the heavy was soon wasted. Laughted to the end of the match. :shake:

7. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. When I had to fight the Beholder with little more than arrows and low-force magic... and won. Also, in the same game, when I ran the gauntlet successfully.

Then, in my Alpha Centauri demo, when I took over the whole map except for my Spartan allies, who promptly turned on me. I defeated them then, too. Conquest is so fulfilling ! :p :D

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Vampire the masquerade, when i played that for the very first time, i didn't realize the value of the Aikurn sword, and i sold it the first chance i got.

Later in the game, when the timetable shifted to London 1999, i ended up without any weaponry in the Society of Leopold, and i had to fight my way through 3 levels with only a pair of brass knuckles, against guys with machineguns, flamethrowers, shotguns, bottles of holy water, tasers, etc.... but somehow i managed to get out of there in one piece. :D

9. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Halo for the pc. Single player game, at one point I was going up against a force of Covenant. One of the Grunts threw a plasma grenade at me. Only problem was that he missed. He actually stuck it onto an Elite right in front of him! The Elite starts chasing the Grunt, the grenade goes off and takes out about twenty enemies. :D It was, in a word, hilarious.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.