1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

God, could they ever make Drizzt films from the books?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kenshiro, May 2, 2002.

1. Kenshiro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I read that was a rumor, given the hyper-success of LOTR, but God, as much as I'd LOVE to see it, how could you? I don't mean making it, get Peter Jackson again and a couple hundred million and you could do it, but I mean there's about 11 Drizzt novels, the Drow Trilogy, the Icewind Dale Trilogy, the Legacy-Passage to Dawn set, and Sea of Swords. Face it, unless you pull a freaking James Bond, you couldn't do it, unless you started from The Crystal Shard and showed Drow Trilogy flashbacks(Episode 1 Style LOL). And on that subject, WHO IN GOD'S NAME COULD PLAY DRIZZT? Any ideas?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Who said you'd have to do it by the books? Or any book at all? They could just make a new story up, something fit for the movie. Or start with the basic 3 books (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn). That'd be easy enough to make into a movie.

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hope they're made by the D&D movie crew, now that's quality. *nod self*

4. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

I've thought a lot about it (I'm crazy about the Drizzt series) but I don't think they could make movies about Drizzt. For the Underdark sequences, how would they show it? The pitch black would get frustrating quick, and if they just made it partly dark, most people who know nothing about Drizzt would lose interest quick.
    *Spoilers* On top of that, none of the books really FINISH. The Dark Elf Trilogy ends with Drizzt coming to the surface, the IWD Trilogy ends with the conquering of Mithril Hall, and the Legacy-Passage of Dawn series ends with the return of Wulfgar (I don't know how Sea of Swords ends, as I haven't read it yet). It'd be weird to just do one series, since there's no real "closure."
    PS- it would really suck if they did it like James Bond, with Drizzt constantly being portrayed by different actors.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Don't hold your hopes up for Drizzt movies being so popular you'll have a whole slew of them. And if they could transfer LOTR to the screen, I'm sure they could do it with Drizzt too, one way or another.

6. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

If they do it like James Bond, twenty movies and lots of time in between, show me an actor that'll not get old during that time.

7. yappie! Guest

because they all end in cliffhangers, and Sojourn in a decent ending..they would be perfect movies!!

Homeland: Ends with Drizzt leaving Menzoberranzan(?).
    Exile: Ends with Drizzt leaving the Underdark and experienceing the sun for the first time.
    Sojourn: Drizzt finally finds a home, Mithril Hall with Bruenor and Cattie-Brie IIRC?

It would be *SO* good.

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I was thinking... How would you portray the Drow? I mean there were people who claimed that the 'black' riders of LOTR were negative racial stereotyping. Now imagine a whole race of dark-skinned humanoids and (almost) ALL are EVIL. Same with Duergar.

How would you do it??

9. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

There prolly would be some dumb schmucks sueing the studio of the Drow Elves. Idiots.

I think you could make it into a good movie, but you would need a dang good director, as well as keeping Salvatore close on the project.

I would like to see good movies on each of the Drizzt books, as long as they do it right :)

10. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

They could make them glow in the dark purple :p

11. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31

Yeah, but that would piss off the "homosexual" population...
    You can't do anything these days without offending someone.

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Homosexuals glow dark purple? New one on me.

There's be other problems - how come that the drow society is dominated by women? Most societies are dominated by men, and the one exception is evil - how could you ever exlain that one?

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Lloth - goddess. Evil. Female spiders are bigger, dominate over male spiders. Sometimes kill and devour them. Need I say more? Lloth's clerical powers are only given to women.

14. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

:rolleyes: Geez Tal, I know that. I'm just saying what kind of questions would be asked by hypocritical politically correct lunatics.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Since when is matriarchate considered politically incorrect?

16. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

[​IMG] :toofar:

The fact that the said matriarchate is EVIL cold be considered politically incorrect by SOME (not by me BTW).

I'm just trying to point out some problems that I would forsee if someone did try to make a film of the Drizzt books. (quite apart from the fact that LOTR is setting completely new standards for fantasy films and that any future fanatsy films will have a hard time keeping up).

17. Taluntain

Media:
    I think you're seeing problems where there are none. :heh:

So what if they're evil? It's not as if there aren't thousands of movies about evil people out there. It's not like evil is un-PC. Especially since the hero would be good in this case. How much more classical of a fight between Good and Evil can you get?!

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Clearly we have a conflict of opinions here. And since one of them is the admin, he wins by default :p

I still think I am right, though - political correctness is going far too far these days :1eye:

19. Taluntain

Media:
  20. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG]
    of course! nearly all lego men appear to be chinese ;) (except the tie-fighter pilots who for some reason are black).

never believed in true 'good vs. evil' myself :evil: :holy: i think it can always be argued down to a difference of opinion.

now Tal and werewolf, which of you wants to be the evil one?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.