1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

God Sued in America

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070919/tod-us-justice-religion-offbeat-f62056d_1.html

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A court in Nebraska is being asked to cast judgement on the ultimate judge -- God.

State lawmaker Ernie Chambers filed a lawsuit Friday against the Almighty -- acknowledging he/she goes by numerous aliases -- for causing "fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes, pestilential plagues" and other alliterative catastrophes.

The suit, Chambers vs God, asks the court for a "permanent injunction ordering defendant (God) to cease certain harmful activities and the making of terrorist threats" which affect innumerable persons, including Chambers's constituents.

It asserts that God is "the admitted perpetrator" of such acts and said that God's omnipresence gives the local Douglas County District Court jurisdiction in the suit, adding that God's omniscience eliminates the need to issue a formal notice of the lawsuit.

Chambers told local media he filed the suit to make a point about frivolous lawsuits frequently seen in US courts, citing a recent one against a judge.

He asked the court to award him an unspecified summary judgment against God, or, in the alternative, issue a permanent injunction against God engaging in the damaging acts cited in the filing.

Neither God nor his/her spokespersons could be contacted for comment

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm afraid God's omnipotence will allow Him to obstruct the course of justice and get away with it.

Seriously, though:

I can only hope that Chambers' point is well taken!

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The fact that this type of lawsuit made it past the court clerks only proves one thing: Just how stupid and asinine our court system has gotten. Taking this suit seriously will only cause people to lose respect for the court system.

However, if someone will pay my expenses I will gladly appear as a spokesperson for God. I do have some qualification. I can also think of a couple of other people on this board that should appear at least as amici deus.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    As a practical matter; how did the plaintiff conduct service of process with the big G? I sure hope his public defender filed a motion to dismiss due to improper service.... :rolleyes: :p

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    When the court system is used as a shield against taking responsibility for one's actions, or as a mechanism for revenge that ends up costing the "winner" of the case her livelihood anyway, then you know it's seriously broken and in desperate need of reform. Unfortunately, I doubt this case will generate more than a few laughs for Jay Leno, et al.

Yet another example of the truth behind the saying, "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." Maybe God will skip the motions and respond with a cataclysm or two - that should shake things up (no pun intended!) a bit!

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

But wouldn't that be an admission of guilt? :p

Anyway, that seems more than a bit absurd. Even from a legal procedure, under what law do you sue God? Local, federal, international... or do we treat Him as an "enemy deity?"

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I don't think the defendant will be making an appearance.

But Seriously, there are a lot more stupid lawsuits out there. If a guy committing a Break and enter trips, falls and gets hurt and can sue the victim for every penny he has, there's a problem...

8. Montresor

Media:
  9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Interesting, I expected a "speak to my lawyer" note. Unfortunately, finding the right lawyer might be a bit of a problem - there are all too many pretenders for the position.

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Pfff.

These celebrities all think they are above the law.

Just because you are the subject of a very old book...

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Here's my question: God is entitled to an unbiased jury of His peers, right?

12. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Bloody finally.

Hope they give the bastard the death penalty.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Certainly. But Jack Nicholson can usually get out of jury duty.

14. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The legal system over there is just priceless.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Too late - Nietzsche already passed that sentence, but died before it could be carried out.

16. Gnarfflinger

So if they are suing God, he must exist. What if some of these other things us religious people are telling you is true? Further, are they suing the Father, the Som or the Holy Ghost? The first commandment, thou shalt have no other gods before me, implies that there may infact be other gods, but what if the other gods you get as a jury are real jerks? What if their first question to the defendant is to ask why he hasn't destroyed the world regularly? They could likely rule in favour of the defendant...

17. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    This depends on whether you cling to the Aristotelian point of view or not. Using Boolean reasoning, when making an argument about "X", "X" need not actually exist. ;)

18. Gnarfflinger

So that's where all those purple moon monkey arguements came from...

19. Montresor

Media:
    I'm pretty sure you can't sue an entity that doesn't exist. So either God exists, or the lawsuit doesn't. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.