1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good games you've played lately?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Name a few games lately that you've tried that you really enjoyed. By lately, I mean games that you've either discovered in the last year or so, or that have been released in the last year or so. There's really no need to mention games covered here.

Here's my most recent finds:

Tron 2.0: Being a fan of the original movie isn't required to enjoy this game, but it certainly makes it more fun for fans. This is one of the most enjoyable and visually pleasing first-person shooter/adventure games I've ever played. It has fairly low system requirements, great voice acting (stars from the original movie, along with Rebecca Romejn-Stamos each have major roles), a very unique inventory and weapon system...just cool all around. You can find it for $20 or less now at any major retailer, so I recommend picking it up to anyone.

Age of Mythology: Easily the best real-time strategy game I've ever played. Visually stunning, with interesting civilizations and very sensible gameplay setup. I can play this for hours and hours thanks to all the different landscapes and god-power combinations available.

My only gripe is that there are too few civilizations. I have the expansion, so I have an extra civ to kick around, but still...that's only 4! I would think there were certainly other civilizations in history with mythology rich enough to build a multi-theistic civilization on. Or am I wrong, and the Egyptians, Greek and Norse were the only civilizations in history to worship multiple gods? Some oriental civilizations would have been great, even native American.

---
    These are my major games in the last little while. I may add more later once the topic gets going.

2. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Max Payne 2 with the Cinema 2.0 mod. The action and visuals are simply amazing. The game is pretty short but is a plus cause it never seems boring or repetitive (*cough* Doom 3). The community on the web has tons of mods for the game to add replay value(you can even download a fps version of the game). Even the slick "DVD double movie" packaging is cool. If you cpu has a moderate amount of horsepower and a high performance g-card i highly recommend giving this one a shot. The Cinema 2.0 mod adds a better look for Max (no clipping with his normal jacket when aiming too high, im picky) great weapon additions and a revamped, more cinematic bullet-time mode with added music from bands like Type O Negative, Filter, and Sevendust.
    The story feels like a movie and Mona Sax is the hottest assassin i've ever seen in a game.
    The mod for an ultra-bloody version should satisfy the "goretooth" in everyone and the rag doll physics are the best i've seen. I've played the original Max Payne and MP2 is a great continuation of the story about bad things happening to good undercover cops-turned-fugitives. We can all relate to that right? :p

3. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

This is my major problem with games in the last year or so. I simply cant find a game that's good enough for me to play and not get bored within a few days.
    In most cases they're just to shallow with nice graphics, but too simplistic.

I do hope i'll like one you guy like.

4. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ultima 7 - been knocking around for ages, and I finally got round to playing it.

I love that world - there's so much to do, and it's so detailed! It was mainly the story that kept me going, since the controls and graphics are, shall we say, slightly dated by now. Even so, it's the best CRPG I've ever played.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hitman 2 - is worth taking a look at, I did very much enjoy it myself. The Graphics are good, and the plot better. I don't know how well known around the world it is, since it's a danish developed game.

WoW - A friend of mine is beta tester, this I a very nice game. You guys should realy look forward to this one

ToEE - This game just rox. Loves the concept around it. Loves to hate the bugs. I know it has a fora on this site, but I just loves it ;)

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Arcanum: had it from the beginning but never got into it. Now I did and I'm glad I did, supurb game. Maybe not the best graphics but a game with one of the best designed world/story I've ever seen in a videogame.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ultima 1 :D
    Seriously! The thing has been sitting there for years (I have the Ultima Collection, which I initially got because it had Ultima 7 parts 1 & 2 on it), and it just occurred to me to try it out. Finished it in just a few days, but it was fun.
    As for new games, I can't quite find any that holds my attention for more than 10 minutes. I guess I'm too attached to the Antiques :)

8. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree that Age of Mythology (AoM) is the best RTS game out there for the moment. I've been playing this game for months now and it only gets better and better :thumb:

Do you play AoM online Death Rabbit?

I've started playing Baldur's Gate again and IMO it's much better than Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal.

9. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

X2 - The Threat is great. Hmmmm, I might buy a new ship actually...

And I started a new game of Deus Ex 1 the other day and it is so much better than Invisible War!

10. Fiatil Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Probably the most hilarious game I've ever played next to Armed and Dangerous, coincidentally both by the same developers. Also trying to get into Arcanum, but the graphics kind of bother me, too diablo 2-ish.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hmm, Sea Dogs, System Shock 2, and Fallout - none of which are new in the slightest, but I got them all just this year, and they all fall on the good --> brilliant scale somewhere.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Sauron

what does the cinema 2.0 mod add?

for me:

Max Payne 2 for PC! (not ps2)

Samurai Warriors for Ps2 is pretty awesome if you're into that kind of beat-em-up gameplay and japanese history. cinematics could use some work though.

Nox. an older game in a fantasy setting but i liked it.

Soul Calibur 2 - the ultimate game to play with friends while drinking, loser straights haha.

I've been trying to finish onimusha3 and drakengaard for the ps2 but im losing interest...

13. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Enag

I said some of the things it adds! :confused:
    How about you go to www.levels4you.com and find out fo' yourself...they have tons of cool mods for mp2. Go check it out :)

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

oh, right. my bad dude. thanks.

15. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Splinter Cell. It is so good. I've been wanting to play it since ages, and had it since ages, but never got round to playing it, what with "just one last solo with this uber halfling assassin"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got around to playing it, and I finished it, and it was great.

Also, I picked up FF-X a few months ago, which was the first FF I every played, and I loved IT!! It made me go buy FF-7,8 as I just kept wanting more of the Final Fantasy experience.

My save game troubles apart, FF-X got me hooked to the Final Fantasy series! :D

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Call of Duty
    The single player was great, especially the AI in situations where they would perform flanking manouvers at non-scripted events. The Multiplayer is also pretty good.

Gothic II
    Never played Gothic I but it didn't stop this game from being just dandy. Very nice graphics and good to see the non-English countries producing some good games.

18. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Knights of the Old Republic: Most people will know why this rocks. If not, I suggest you play it now.

Burnout 2: The best arcade racer ever. Crazy crashing, excellent sense of speed, nice cars. Could use a few more tracks. Burnout 3 looks even better.

Kingdom Hearts: Sounds stupid but is very fun to play. Plus beating the tar out of Jafar and Ursula is outstanding :)

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Might and Magic 8. Thought I should try to replay M&M 6-9, and I found it most logical to start with 8 :p . My first CRPG experience ever was with Might and Magic 6, and I just like these games even if they're crappy in many ways.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Warlords IV. Yes, it is kind of cheezy. But it is as addictive as the previous three. Because of my back injury I can only sit at the computer for short periods of time, and so a turn based game is working out pretty well for me.

The graphics are great (if it was still 1998) and the sound track is awesome (if you like rehased synth and highly derivative Wagner), but it really is just plain fun, and I got it on sale for 14.99 in US dollars - can't beat that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.