1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good news out of Iraq

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Darkwolf, May 23, 2005.

1. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] I thought that maybe, after all the doom, gloom, and conspiracy theories tossed about here, some might like to read about the progress that is being made in Iraq.

Probably not, as it is much more fun to gnash our teeth and wring our hands, but just in case:

A roundup of the past two weeks' good news from Iraq.

[ May 23, 2005, 21:49: Message edited by: Darkwolf ]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I didn't read once where he said things are going splendid. All I read was an account of the progress that was made in the last two weeks.

Funny, I point out the fact that there is actual verifiable progress being made, something that is never reported because it doesn't sell copy, and the first response is the typical gloom and doom, disjointed, pieced together, taken out of context editorial that doesn't actually contradict anything that my link stated. :rolleyes:

I wonder when the post that states that Chrenkoff is just a hack for the Bush Administration will show up.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Even though he originally claimed otherwise, Arthur "Good News!" Chrenkoff get's paid for his work for OpinionJournal.com - that in itself isn't special - journalists don't work for free, very rarely so, even when Chrenkoff claims he merely maintains a 'blog'.

Funny enough, even though working for a site titled OpinionJournal (sic!) he comments that he "doesn't do any commentary". Instead he says, "I just save people the effort and present in a convenient form the other side of the story"

His talk that he merely tries to "redress the balance" is palpable nonsense.

The simple fact of presenting a highly edited selection of media and US government stories on Iraq under the heading of "Good news from Iraq" is itself a form of commentary. The idea that leaving out the "bad news"--part of the reality of what is happening--is merely "redressing the balance" is a joke. There is a difference between journalism and trawling the internet in search of good news with a dragnet.

One example: What Chrenkoff and his eager readers seem to lack is a sense of what is important, and often go to absurd lengths to find positive news; summarizing a depressing CSIS report as simply "Iraqi Optimism Endures but It Is Fragile" is a beautyful example of the latter problem.

While CSIS itself notes that "although Iraq’s governing institutions lack adequate capacity and negative trends dominate security, jobs, and services like electricity and sewage, Iraqis themselves remain optimistic" Chrenkoff argues that "whereas the fragility of Iraqi optimism is a function of continuing violence and reconstruction pains, the American optimism is under the constant assault from the negative media coverage."
    :hmm:
    If these negative trends ("continuing violence and reconstruction pains") do in fact exist--an element of the report that Chrenkoff does not dispute--then the media is reporting appropriately, and Americans are merely reacting naturally to the bad news.

If that is so, where is the need for 'the other side of the story'?

:spin: Spin anyone? :spin:

His blog is a transparent project of propaganda posing as a site of unbiased information, while he is not neccessary a 'Bush hack', I don't know enough about him to say that, he is undeniably a rightwing spinmeister out to sell that war. On behalf of whom I don't know, and I know enough to not care. It doesn't matter.

[ May 24, 2005, 09:45: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.