1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

GOP heckles Obama as a "Liar" before congress

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it is safe to say GOP partisanship has spun out of control, reaching entirely new lows during last night's speech. From last night's address:

That was state Rep Joe Wilson of South Carolina, breaking centuries of tradition and civility to bring the TeaParty nonsense off the streets and into the halls of congress. I guess he just couldn't help himself. To my knowledge, such an intemperate outburst is unprecedented in our history. Wilson quickly made himself scarce after the speech, but later issued the following half-apology:
    Notice that he doesn't seem to know (or care) that the President was in fact telling the truth, and that it was in fact Wilson himself that is full of crap. The claim that Obama's proposals will insure illegals has been routinely debunked:
    I'm starting to wonder when the current incarnation of the GOP will run out of sharks to jump.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It was really a new low for the oppostition (among many). It speaks for itself.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Is there any literature out there that shows what qualifies an immigrant as "Illegal", as it pertains to Medical coverage that is? That could make a big difference in the meaning of Obama's speech when referring to no coverage for Illegal immigrants. If they are here illegally and have children while here, those kids are not illegal, correct? If so, IMO, that is a big fault in our system and a drain on the rest of us.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It appears Mr Wilson knows "how to spot a lie" when he hears one:

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmem...sons-emotions-got-the-best-of-him.php?ref=fpb

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    According to what Obama said, the government would get into the insurance business, so those insured would be paying for their coverage, not the general taxpayer. Not that I want to encourage illegal immigration, but if they're paying for it, why should I care?

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's true BTA. Obama said that under a public option, the government would not be using taxpayer money to subsidize the payments. They would be limited to what they could pay out by what they took in.

However, Obama DOES support subsidizing those who cannot afford insurance. What happens in a case like Blades raises - if an illegal has a child in the states - would they be able to apply for coverage for their child? (Note, IMO we should already have universal coverage for kids - it's not their fault that their parents don't have health care.)

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

By not caring and letting it happen, your legitimizing them being here, which is wrong. They need to go through the motions as the rest of the Legal immigrants did to be granted citizenship. Like your distant relatives did in the past. You can't have your cake and eat it too! They should not be covered. IMO, no way do we give Illegals rights to Healthcare or any other privileges for that matter.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    The title is a bit of a misnomer, and DR's initial post seems to encourage the mistake. This was not the GOP opposition response. This was one guy. The rest of the GOP almost immediately called for him to publically apologize (right alongside the Dems doing the same). He did. Further sanctions may follow.

The guy's an idiot. You do not burst into the President's official speech to Congress with something like that. Even if you believe it, you wait until he's done and then object in due order.

The Great Snook likes this.
  9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Notations mine, for quick reference and block-quotorama avoidance. :)
    1) Perhaps I should have added "Rep" after GOP in the title, but the rest of my post makes it clear I'm talking about this one guy. I don't mention or reference the official GOP response at all, and I'm sure most of our SP readers are bright enough to read it as such. So no, it's fine the way I wrote it and I think I'll leave it.

2) I think you know perfectly well that Wilson simply said out loud what every single Republican in that hall was thinking. They have all been saying as much in their rhetoric for months now.

3) And they called on him to apologize because he broke decorum and made the GOP look like a pack of jackals, not for standing up to Obama or for not having his facts straight. Sorry, but I'm not giving them any points for calling for an apology. They've been whipping up animosity in leiu of constructive participation in the reform process for months now, and this outburst was bound to happen in one form or another eventually. Wilson was wrong on the facts then, and he's wrong on the facts now, and this didn't stop him from calling his President a liar in front of the entire world. THAT is what he should apologize for.

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    NOG, there you go again, letting facts get in the way of a good story. :D

I agree with everything you posted.

Even if everything Rep Joe Wilson said is correct (and only time will tell) it was in bad form.

11. Blades of Vanatar

I disagree Aldeth. If the illegals are from, lets say Mexico, let Mexico foot the bill. Why should we? They are not our citizens. If Mexico can't provide transportation for their citizens, should we? No way. Illegals shouldn't have any rights, since they are NOT US citizens and should not be allowed any monetay liberties that we, the taxpayers should pay for. The only way to stop illegal immigration is to draw the line. But no, we make more and more allowances and exceptions instead. Craziness! Too many bleeding hearts here in the US these days....

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    You're welcome to show me where I don't have my facts straight, or, you can just shut up.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I said we should provide it for the children - not the illegal parents. And the children ARE our citizens.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Your right Aldeth, they are. But why? That's what I don't get. Legislation allowing that opened pandora's box for immigrants. What were they thinking? Man, I hate squatters and that is just what illegals are, squatters! They have no right to be here, let alone try and stick children on us as well. I wonder how many of them have children once they get here for the sole purpose of staying, not giving one ounce about the welfare of the child, let alone even having any love for it. That type of action is Sickening to me. I'm all for having kids, but for the right reasons.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    DR, I'll agree with you that it was only for the decorum bit that the GOP asked him to apologize, but I think that's all that needs an apology. The commment on it's own may need explanation, examination, and even retraction, but not an apology. Unless, of course, you think it's inappropriate to question the President's statements.

16. Blades of Vanatar

I think some good will come from Wilson's stupid comment. Maybe, just maybe, it will help to get it all out on the table now, so Congress can come to an agreement on what Bill will pass. Of course both sides will have to give a little, just like any other Bill, but this just might be the door opening for something to happen in the next few months, we'll see.

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    When you have no idea what you're talking about, like Wilson, then yes. In a position like his, until you are sure your facts are in order, you should really just shut the hell up.

And let's get this straight: he did not simply question the President's statement. He called him a liar. I think you'll agree there's a rather large difference, both in the seriousness and substance of such a charge. Calling someone "wrong" and calling someone a "liar" are worlds apart.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, that's now an immigation issue. My comment involved the laws as they currently stand, and that they are, in fact, American citizens. Heck even if someone from a foreign country is taking a vacation in the US, and they give birth here, that child can claim US citizenship. In the case of a vacation, the child would obviously go home with the parents, but later in life he can claim to be a natural born US citizen, and move here.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Yep, I'm getting off topic, sorry Aldeth.:) You are right about the laws as they stand today, though I think they need to be changed. But that for another forum.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd be glad to. You posted

and NOG correctly pointed out that it wasn't the GOP it was one guy.

NOG (No Other Gods) likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.