1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Governmental Idiot of the Week

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by chevalier, Dec 2, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Imagine you are the Tal of governments and you can give one Idiot of the Week plaque to the government figure of your choice. :D

Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present Poland's minister of infrastructure, Krzysztof Opawski.

Reason: Trying to introduce a special car tax for each kilometre you drive in your car. Yes, this is going to require a special counter to be installed in your car. Another brilliant idea is collecting passage fees for using bridges and entering city centres in your car. Yeah, this means checkpoints blocking the traffic until you pay and the barrier goes up.

Clearly deserves an IotW.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I would've thought that nice fellow who rigged the elections in the Ukraine would deserve the plaque.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I should have the IotW plaque cos i never win anything :(

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

:lol: He's a waste of space.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Does the Polish discussed have problem with traffic? Singaporean government did this long time ago, but in a more high tech way (a cash card reading device in car, when the car passes certain sensor, it will deduct money), to limit traffic entry into central city and encourage people to use public transportation.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

My vote is to Paul Martin. I don't know what he's done this week, but he's an idiot...

7. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

My vote goes for the Rosa Meriläinen a member in the Finnish green party. she went and cried to the press about her pervious drug abuse but then in court she denied it all. Go figure. :rolleyes:

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I second that; She gets brownie points for the skirt incident, but that weed thing is just stupid :D

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If this had been running a few years ago, my hands down pick would have been Stockwell Day.

The then Reform Party renamed itself the Canadian Alliance. A party that far to the right is never going to get my vote, but I digress ...

Anyway, at some point the party decided that Preston Manning was getting a little ... old, and coming across as a little too ... stick in the mud? So the party decides it wants someone more youthful to increase the party's appeal with the more modern votership. And their selection ... Stockwell Day, who by all accounts looked pretty attractive scooting up to dock in his tight-suit on a water-skier. However ...

A certain lawyer defended somebody charged with abusing a child. Stockwell Day made the public insinuation that the reason the lawyer did so must be because he was himself a pedophile. Hello Mr. Day? Never heard of a right to a fair trial? The constitutional right to counsel when you're charged with an offence?

The defence lawyer promptly shot back that he was ordered to undertake the accused's defence. It wasn't a matter of collecting a hefty retainer, or deliberately making the streets less safe. The court placed him under an obligation to do so. Dear ol' Mr. Day, at least from what I remember, refused to back down.

The defence lawyer ended up suing Mr. Day for defamation. Quite the public backlash that produced. Eventually things got to the point where his own party was dying to shove him out of their top spot.

For all my vehemence at his antics back then, somehow I think that was one of the better things that could ever have happened for Canada in retrospect.

[ December 03, 2004, 10:08: Message edited by: Beren ]

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thankfully the real political nutcases more often than not shoot themselves in the foot. One should start getting worried when they manage to avoid or if they do blast their foot but no one cares.

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

On general principles, Boris Johnson - MP for Henley-on-Thames, for every week of the year.

In fairness, buffoon may be a slightly better description.

12. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

The per mile tax really isn't all that innovative. If you think about it, most of us already have one, and least indirectly. Does your gov't charges a tax per liter or gallon of fuel? Bingo, the more miles you drive, the more tax you pay.

By the way, the state of California has been investigating using GPS to track driven miles. Don't be surprised when Proposition XXX comes to a vote to require it be installed on every car.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Ummm, Chev, have you ever heard of odometers? Every car I've ever seen has one already, and mileage is reported on our annual car registration form. It would be a very simple matter - over here, at least - to do the math and send a bill. Additionally, in this state every car gets an annual safety inspection. It would be equally easy to incorporate the tax into the fee for that service.

Also, there are some high-speed, limited-access toll roads on this side of the country (take a ticket when you enter, pay the fee when you exit; the automatic reader teekc described can also be used). IF the tolls collected are commensurate with annual maintenance costs, this is an effective way to remove upkeep of that particular highway from the state budget and place it on the people who use it (even occassionally) instead of those who don't.

And most bridges that I've ever used are toll bridges. Same reasoning - have the people who USE them pay for them. Yes, there are traffic backups at rush hour but what else is new?

IMO there are many, many more deserving candidates for Governmental IotW than your guy. Sounds to me like he's simply trying to implement systems that work very well elsewhere in the world.

[ December 03, 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

@Darkwolf,

Those GPS systems have been discussed in Britain too. I think currently it's been quietly hidden away because of the outcry on privacy rights. The government would be able to know every single move you make.
    I expect it to re-surface after Blunket gets his Identity cards pushed through parliament.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would normally advocate the obvious choice of Bush, although giving him the IotW plaque would be far too kind in this case. Seeing as how he has been and will be president from January 2001 through January 2009, even giving him a plaque for Idiot of the Month or Idiot of the Year would be too kind. He's the front runner for Idiot of the Decade.

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    He's a Grammatical Moron candidate as well. ;)

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Aldeth, I'd have a problem with that. Give it instead to the people who voted him back in, or the Democrats who couldn't field a halfway decent ticket against him, but not to Bush himself. As much as I disagree with many of the courses of action he's pursuing and the advisors he's surrounded himself with, I sincerely don't think the man is truly an idiot, or out for nefarious purposes (with the notable exception of the war in Iraq).

Please don't anyone bombard me with links to his past indiscretions or communications foibles. I won't read 'em.

18. Gnarfflinger

Whenever I read about George W., I see Roger Abbot from the Royal Canadian Air Farce ending his skits with the line "God Help America!"...

19. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Beren - I think getting rid of Preston Manning was probably more due to the party trying to cut its losses after the CCRAP fiasco. Coming up with that name was a decision truly worthy of an idiot of the week plaque.

20. Gnarfflinger

So they replace one GIotW with another GIotW. No wonder we're still stuck with Martin...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.