1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Graner guilty in Iraq prisoner abuse case

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Jan 15, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seems it took the jury only about five hours to decide that following orders wasn't a great defense for the ringleader of the Abu Ghraib sadists.

Link: http://www.yahoo.com/_ylh=X3oDMTB2MXQ5MTU3BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEdGVzdAMwBHRtcGwDaW5kZXgtaWU-/s/20821

Looks like he can get 17 1/2 years max.

So, what do y'all think is going to be the sentence, do you agree with it and do you think that 17 1/2 (if given) is not enough?

My take is that this kind of sadism by someone in a position of authority over helpless prisoners is about as heinous as you can get without physically murdering them yourself. I think 17 1/2 years sounds about right.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] He's been made into a scapegoat to appease the US media and the general US public. He'll get a few years at worst somewhere in a cushy prison, and that will be it. And I'm quite certain he'll be considered a war hero by everyone around him. So one man is going to "pay" for all the killings and crimes commited in Abu Ghraib. Meanwhile, the real architects of what happened in Abu Ghraib will be free to design future "liberations" of "terrorist" countries. But they've learned an important lesson in Iraq - better to kill than to let the media get their hands on any photos of modern "interrogation techniques" employed by the US. Not that it made that much difference that they have, considering the damage control propaganda successfully minimized the impact of the few pictures released into the public in the US, but still. Don't forget that the really bad ones were never released. So I don't think we'll be seeing any hard evidence of torture on the part of the US again any time soon.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tal, on the one hand, you're right about the policy makers skating on this. However, you're a bit wrong, IMO, on the scapegoating issue. Soldiers have known for a long time that it's not OK to follow orders to commit war (or any other kind of) crimes.

Thus, the fact that this was condoned and pushed by the powers-that-be is disgusting, but the fact that this guy and his cronies decided it was OK to obey the orders (assuming that they were explicit) or go with the "suggestions" is just as bad. If the guards at Abu Ghraib had the morals of my 7 year old (not my 4 year old, she's kind of sketchy), there is no way that they would have done this no matter what they were told.

Soldiers need a reinforcement that "I was just following orders" is not a get out of jail free card. They are required to exercise individual discretion and I don't think it's all that hard to say something along the lines of "Y'know, I don't think that torturing my prisoners is really where it's at. I'll take a pass."

My $.02.

4. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

It's not so easy to refuse to obey an order from a superior officer. There are many quiet--and not so quiet--ways in which you will pay for such refusal. Maybe a few will take warning from this scapegoating, but only the punishing of everyone involved would really put a stop to it, and that's not happening. Most soldiers will continue to take the easy way: obey orders and hope you get away with it.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    egad, Stanford research showed that anyone in that position would have done the same thing...
    They'd probably only give him 18 years because the crowd would else lynch him.

Uhm, hello? The army? Their superiors are responsible.
    "I was following orders" IS an out-of-jail free card, because if they resisted, they would be insubordinating and locked up without a trail, and nobody would have heard of the situation.

And besides, the torture would have his reasons, maybe one of the prisoners would snap and tell all about his friends, and that would save a few hundred lives, it's always better to sacrifice 10 for a 100.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I couldn't DISagree more with that type of thinking. Especially when you DON'T KNOW whether sacrificing these 10 will save anything (it very rarely does these days, it seems)

As for dmc's initial question, I agree with Tal. Propaganda did an excellent job in minimizing this to the extent that, a couple of months later, no one was talking about it. When the time came to vote, no one bothered to remind people that one of the presidents they were voting for had tolerated these events happening. And the next time this happens, no one will bother remembering it's happened before.

8. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    how about sacrificing 1000 to save a million? or 10000 to save a milliion? Where do you draw the line? At what point does it become unacceptable?

I dont think it is ever acceptable to sacrifice lives for others. Otherwise, who the hell are you trying to save?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Others have already pretty much expressed what I wanted to reply, so I'll just add that I don't believe Abu Ghraib "just happened". Something on that scale doesn't just "happen" without anyone high up noticing it or doing anything about it unless it was deliberate and encouraged in the first place. Ragusa posted a longer explanation to this effect in one of the previous Abu Ghraib threads here (anyone got a link?), and I thoroughly agree with him. In war, people don't just keep the same mentality and morality that you can afford in the warmth of your home. That all flies out the window. It all gets down to way more primal and basic instincts and cruelty, and people simply lose touch with what is acceptable and what isn't. In war, anything is acceptable, because it's only winning that matters. The entire history of humankind will verify you that. History is written by the winners, and only with the advent of mass media the real circumstances are penned down also by others. Prior to that, all you got was the winner's version of the story.

So pushing all the blame squarely on Graner is a classical example of scapegoating. He's no more guilty than a hammer you would use to smash someone's skull. Soldiers are tools wielded by those truly in power. They have more inherent will and principles than a hammer, yes, but uniformity and obeying orders are two of the key principles of the army. The worst penalties come from disobeying those principles. Soldiers can't really afford to keep the same principles they had prior to going into the army once they've been in for some time. It's the responsibility of their superiors to oversee and determine to act with conscience.

True, Graner could have refused, faced court-martial, been dishonourably discharged and you'd never have heard of him. But it wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever, because the next soldier, or the next after that, would have gone along with it, and the situation would be identical, only the soldier's name would be different.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Graner seemed to like his job at Abu Ghraib
    Sweet guy ... but then, with someone elses words:

11. Morgoth

Media:
    If it doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter. Now does it?

The group?

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's pretty tough to disobey orders, but there's a difference between reluctantly following orders and enthusiastically doing so.

In this case, it appears the latter applies, so he's getting what he deserves. If the former was true, then I still think he should be punished, but perhaps not as severely.

But in either case, I agree with other opinions in this thread - he's being used as a scapegoat.

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Good for the group. I dont think the person who gets sacrificed will be all that happy about it though.

Would you be happy to be sacrificed for a group you've never met?

If you take that thinking to a personal level, would you sacrifice a member of your family to save the lives of 20 other people you've not met?

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Nice sum-up. He got 10 years for it.

15. Morgoth

Media:
    @Takara, if it comes to ourselves and family then it becomes all personal.
    But if we take a person that has no emotional attachments to anyone and serves only the group by leading it, then he would sacrifice the 10.

Think of the Aztecs who saved the world every day by sacrificing their young children, prisoners of war, and themselves..

We are getting off-topic aren't we?

16. Ziad

Media:
    @Taluntain: I'd say it's not so much "bad things happen in war" as "people decide to do bad things in war, then use the war as an excuse".

Not to mention he didn't even bother answering the question.

This is nuts.

Oh yes, and the Groucho Marx quote is excellent :D

:yot: Morgoth, thinking of the Aztecs I don't see people who "saved the world" with sacrifices. I see people who murdered innocents because THEY TOUGHT they were saving the world. Now, replacing "Aztecs" with "US government"...

Even assuming they are saving the world and they are correct about their supposition, I'm with Takara on this. The law of larger number just doesn't get me any satisfaction. Was it OK to drop two A-bombs on the Japanese and kill several hundred thousand CIVILIANS in order to MAYBE save the lives of a million US soldiers? Nope. Sorry, that excuse just doesn't make it any more justifiable. Was there anything else that could have been done? I don't know, but that STILL is not a good excuse to justify slaughter on that scale.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    First of all, I don't believe that the people up there ever have no clue what's going on in war prisons. Even if so, if they really have no clue about how their minions are pleasing themselves, it only shows that perhaps they shouldn't be up there...

Now, I don't believe that the soldiers are oh so unwilling tools in the hands of the CIA and the officers. Whoever does what they were doing maybe doesn't necessarily know what he's doing, but surely knows what he's doing to another human being. That's quite enough for me to put someone behind bars.

Another problem is that yes indeed, we do have an excellent example of scapegoating here. Just imagine what would have happened to Garner if he had refused to obey the orders. Perhaps the same what is happening to him right now.

But, if he actually obeyed an order, why aren't we watching his commander on a trial on the TV? I would like to see the bastard dishonourably discharged after the same manner as his underling is going to be. But this will never happen. Dishonourable discharge is not for guys who started their military career at a rank already higher than the little people will ever get.

Ah, and the personals of intelligence agents are secret, so it's already a crime to identify one, so you can't do that. Bad luck, you can't prove one ordered you something. But if you tried to protest...

And who's going to believe that? I'm seriously in doubt here.

OK, why hasn't the lieutenant's trial started yet?

Funny thing, the oh so noble Major won't say the same about the lieutenant and the intelligence agents.

The officers didn't care and were left comfortably alone, the intelligence agents had their "softening" done, and the minions had their part of fun. Everyone was happy. But only the minions are accountable (not like they don't deserve their sentences).

Last news: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20050115/ap_on_re_us/prisoner_abuse_graner_31

[ January 17, 2005, 00:19: Message edited by: chevalier ]

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I hope they lock him up with a really big dude named Bubba, who will do all kinds of cool things to him in the coming 10 years.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Ziad, call it whatever you want, the point is, there's no such thing as a "clean" war, especially if the invading side claims it is leading one. Even if Bush really had the most altruistic reasons possible for invading Iraq, that war would never be "clean" even for his side. And, as I explained, I'm convinced this wasn't one soldier's idea anyway.

20. Ziad

Media:
    Tal, I must have somehow misworded things somewhere, because I was trying to make the same point you just did (see my comment on Bush and elections in my first post)

Yes, they do deserve it. But I find it disturbing that people higher (sometimes much higher) in the hierarchy are still running loose, without any fear of sentence, because the scapegoat has already taken all the blame. This is as sure a sign as you'll ever need that something similar will occur in the future, and probably with the same leading officers too. And again, the scapegoats will be the grunts... and so on.

And of course, let's not even dream of something being done at THAT level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.