1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HD Issues

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hey.

I've hacked my old PII to pieces some time ago (I somewhat ended up needing the hard drive it once had), and I've been trying to wire it to another computer... but there's a problem.

I wire the thing to an IDE cable, pop the power in, and all goes well... but when I turn on the power, the LED under the damn thing repeatedly flashes five times, and the comp simply refuses to boot - basically, I'm stuck with a black window and a stupid white bar flashing endlessly. Nothing's written, just the damn bar flashing, and nothing else happens. Just the black screen and flashing bar.

I know the damn flashing LED means something... but I have no damn idea as to what it means.

The drive's a dinosaur - a Quantum Fireball EL 5.2 GB. Normally I couldn't care less about this old piece of trash, but I happen to need some of the data it contains, and I'm kinda screwed.

I've checked and rechecked the jumpers, and according to the drawing on the drive, all is fine... so what's the deal with this dinosaur? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I can't help you with the no booting problem, but I can give you another idea. For just over $20 you can get an external USB to IDE 'dongle' that lets you connect a bare IDE drive to the USB port of your new PC. It comes with a power supply to run the HD and the adapter usually powers from the USB port. The newer models can do parallel IDE and SATA. I own a couple (one PATA and one PATA/SATA) and they work well. You have to be sure to set the HD to 'master' and be careful plugging in the adapter into the HD so you don't bend the pins. The adapter is handy to use old HD's as backups - kinda like a tape drive.
    Here are some examples:

link

[ October 10, 2006, 15:22: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    The best advice I can give is to go to the manufacturer's website (or contact them) and see if you can't find out what the flashing LED means.

Failing that. Chas's suggestion is a good one. Just because it can't bood doesn't mean it's dead. The MBR or some other crucial boot file just might be corrupted. Hooking it up as an USB drive just might cure your problem. The Bytecc BT-200 (top of the page Chas linked to) is actually the one I've been thinking about buying. :thumb: :rolling:

4. Disciple of The Watch

I brought the HD to my buddy who's been dabbling in computers for some eight years, and we triple-checked everything: jumpers, IDE cables, yet the damn thing isn't even detected, which leads me to say it's probably busted. It's not the MBR, because the drive would still be detected, and it's not. The damn LED flashing five times maddens me... WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Contact the manufacturer...or go to their website and look around for a manual for the drive.

Failing that, you could always throw the drive at a brick wall. It won't fix the problem, but it *will* make you feel better! :D :rolling:

6. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    One question, does the BIOS even start with the messages on the screen and such, or does the LED immediatly start flashing?
    If it is the former then I can't tell, but if it is latter then I think it is a power problem.

When the BIOS detects some simple errors like multiple active partitions or conflicting MBRs, it writes a message to the screen.
    But it doesn't, that could be because the CPU hasn't even started executing the BIOS code.

Basically what happens on startup:
    1. Power unit starts up and checks all the voltages, if that goes well then a pin is set on the CPU.
    2. CPU loads the BIOS code from ROM and starts executing.
    3. BIOS writes messages to the screen and detects amongst others the MBR and with it the active partition.

Apparently, the system doesn't even get further than 1.
    What I'd suggest is that you check if the PSU can handle the system, maybe unplugging some other devices while leaving the Disk plugged will give some more clues.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Everything works well, until the BIOS gets to the detection of IDE drives... my other HD is detected in a split second, the other one (the one that has my data) doesen't detect at all, and there's this annoying LED flashing underneath it.

The comp still can boot and start Windows thanks to the healthy HD, but I cannot access the other drive. Trying to wire it on it's own IDE cable changes nothing - it's just not detected, be it slave, master or standalone. I'm dropping by my old school this week, maybe one of my old teachers could lend me a hand with this issue. Failing that, I have sharpened my nice, shiny axe. :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

8. Disciple of The Watch

Quick follow-up - brought the hard drive to one of my old teachers, and he inspected it closely. He says it's not the innerwork of the HD who's busted, because it still runs just as great, although the plates rotates a pretty slowly... he suspects the problem lies with the circuit board of the HD, and believes that just swapping them will allow my hard drive do resurrect for as long as I need to backup all critical data I had. But he says that it might not work whatsoever... but he happens to have one of those hard drives of the same model than mine laying around, so it's worth a try.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.