1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heretic no longer

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Aikanaro, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, not quite, but I am finally going to get my hands on a 3E PHB. Paying ridiculous prices in really freaky shops does get you what you want :D

At Christmas this year I will finally be able to cast off the title of heretic (though I am rather fond of it, maybe I should keep with 2E...)

But wait, I shall still hang onto my 2E goodness, because there is no way I could possibly afford to buy any of the rest of the core rulebooks. So maybe, just maybe I can still get thrown on a burning stake by Oaz. :grin:

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh, no, your heresy has only toned down a bit.

Get 3.5E

;) :p .

3. Register Gems: 29/31

3.5E is really bad, I'm glad our group didn't upgrade from 3E.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

In fact, I think it is 3.5. 3E is easier to say (or think) :D

5. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    NOW that pure herecy, 3.5 crap edition was intended (spelling?) from the begening and the 3.0 team Didn't even know about it! All of the change are subtile that almost every good DM did from thre start, and Myself I have already buffed Ranger, and made a special rule for bard.
    And some rule change are just stupid, no more Alchemy skill but rather Craft: Alchemy, or even everybody can Tumble, and their is a feat for Tumble, ah? I though everybody could use the skill tumble even with rank 0? Also the new weapon system is just crap...

Whad'ya say? Shall we make the ¨Society of Protection of 3E¨ or even the ¨I hate 3.5 fan club¨ or maybe persecute every heretic who bought 3.5?

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Hey, it's not all bad. I liked the revision of Harm, Heal, Polymorph, Haste, Monster skills/feats, and other stuff. It's not all bad. A lot of the stuff people get worked up over is pretty minor.

7. Ofelix

Media:
    grrrr, must resist NOT to persucute............ must resist........... Urging to persecute rising....rising....

Haa! Feel better, fine with me but I hate, no loath, no dispice (spelling?) , no I have a total aversion ,yes that's the word, to the 3.5 crap edition.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

*Is having the sudden urge to run back to the safety of 2E*
    At least no one will rant on about how bad it is while I've just paid money for it ;)

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Oaz, whatever shall I do with my complete set of 1E books?! /me blinks innocently

Bail on 3.5E - it's just heading to where Rolemaster has already gone, anyway. So speaks the true heretic...

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That is bull crap. See this review by Monte Cook, one of the makers of v3.0. He clearly says: "Even before 3.0 went to the printer, the business team overseeing D&D was talking about 3.5. Not surprisingly, most of the designers -- particularly the actual 3.0 team (Jonathan Tweet, Skip Williams, and I) thought this was a poor idea. Also not surprisingly, our concerns were not enough to affect the plan." He, and the others of the 3.0 team were aware of the revision when they made v3.0.

V3.5 may be different than v3.0, but most of the changes they made are good. The v3.5 books are easier to read and get information from. I have been playing v3.5 since the books were available and it has my full support.

11. Ofelix

Media:
    I read the review a long time ago and memories from it was unclear, look like I made a mistake. Thanks to point this out :thumb: . Anyway I stay with my opinion, 3.5 is bull, I hate it, not for the change, but for killing 3E they gave it almost no change of survive. Anyway 3E didn't need change. I'm sure the 2E fan were insulted when they changed they beloved 2E, BUT 2E was made in 1989 (if I'm right) and 3E came out in 2000 so their was eleven years between the change. However the difference between 3E and 3.5E is very slime only 2 or 3 years of difference. The feeling I got from Wizard of the coast is that they ¨oblige¨ to get 3.5 since all new core book will be 3.5 and that well 3E is now scrap and you've spend money for nothing. But the worst is that many rule change were a good addition but the 3E system had a good balance without those rule, and the way they were made almost all change could be made. So 3.5 change rule of a system easily change-able (don't even think this word exist^^) that don't even make sense IMO. I'm also sure that when 3E came out the 2E community felt the same, but eleven years and three years IS a rather big difference.

12. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

What's wrong with Rolemaster? It was the best system I ever played. That D&D is getting more like it is a good thing, unless you like the old four choices of fighter, thief, elf, or dwarf.

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I agree completely, BigStick. My point was supposed to be, why do we need 3.5E D&D when Rolemaster already BTDT, and better?

Hmmm... suburban Chicago... you don't perchance still play Rolemaster out there, do you? One of the guys from our old gaming group is there now...

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

3.5E, in several years, will become more popular than 3E. I'm willing to take a stab that 3E is already more popular than practically any other RPG system, such as Rolemaster. More people playing it means more good people to play with, and less people to convince to switch to another sort of system (which is apparently not an easy thing to do).

3.5E is nice to learn because people will take up on it, because several years later, a 3E rules book will be hard to come by, so new players' best bets are to pick up 3.5E.

It's not about which system is "superior"; that's a subjective matter. But it is nice to have more players of the system you use. Not only can you have more players (or DMs) to find, but there will also be a bigger support for that system, meaning that more people will be willing to help you with game rule problems, DM blocks, player creativity, and so forth.

In short, 3E is better than 2E because more people play 3E. 3.5E will become better because 3.5E will be played by more people than 3Eers.

15. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Rallymama - I haven't gotten to play any RoleMaster for about 15 years. I only ever found two groups who played it and have long since moved away from where they were. I miss my Warrior Mage, and critical hits/misses. I actually got started in that system by playing SpaceMaster in college, but that was long, long ago and far, far away...

Oaz - You are exactly correct. D&D is "better" because it is playable. It's been designed and re-designed, to be easy for people to learn and play. That helps make it more popular. The best game system ever invented is absolutely no good if nobody will play with you. ;)

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Oh my, Aik... it looks like I am ahead of you :D I got meself the 3E PHB, DMG and MM. :D Of course it's not the "updated" version, but it's the reason for their being nice and cheap :D

After browsing them a bit, I feel like crawling back to 2E as well...

Now, I wonder if I can force some people to game with me in RL?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.