1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heroes of Might and Magic 4

Discussion in 'Playground' started by christopher_c_pitzer, Apr 8, 2002.

1. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

OK, this thing has been for over a week. Has anyone played it yet? How does it rate with HoMM3? Is it worth the $45 investment?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's worth it. Can't really compare it to Heroes 3, but the Heroes feeling (addiction) is there :).

3. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yeah buy it.
    It sucks that some buildings blocks other buildings though.

[This message has been edited by Tasohan (edited April 08, 2002).]

4. total Guest

45$ is too much by my opinion, but if you cant wait, then there isnt any choice.

As I said before, i didnt expect very much, but i expected better graphic in battles and much more new units, not less (if im not wrong, and not counting upgraded versions in 3rd part)

I played one XL map with my friend, but that was all, i didnt got addicted as before, maybe i am immune after three parts :)

It is interesting to try out new stuff, but after that it is same as before, as always!

[This message has been edited by total (edited April 11, 2002).]

5. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I was disappointed, big time. I've been playing countless hours of HoMM from the very first version of the masterpiece. I loved the interface, I loved the ingenuity of the whole game concept, I loved the system and I loved the graphics (in all episodes - this game does not need 3D!).

Now, the fouth incarnation. Interface. What crawled up the 3DO peoples' butts to make such an ugly interface? On 800x600, the game looks about as good as boiled carrot - nothing can be seen, the game screen shakes as the hero moves overland, and boy, 'tis slow on PIII700/128/16. "No," think I, "there's light in the end of a tunnel" and I switch to 1024x768. Yippie! Interface still in unproportional, the game is slower, and I cannot see a single detail of the screen, since the fonts are downscaled. The ministry of health must ban this game, for the people will have their eyesight killed.

Did I mention it was slow? Not all of us keep their machines on the latest level and divorce with their 'top-of-the-line' vid chips every 4 months. And all HoMMs were good on system requirements, and even the 'advanced' third part ran very well on P166MMX, when 450mHz were well around.

But I think, "A HoMM fan will find a sexy thing in this game!" and go on playing. Castles. Were the designers drunk to mix Inferno and Necropolis castles? Of course, some cataclysm, chaos and all that, but mix those? Or mix Dungeon and Stronghold? No, gentlemen (and ladies). That ain't good, that smells like "we wanted to finish it fast, so we gave the users this pferdscheisse" to me. Bad, bad. 4 levels of units? Carramba! Don't tell me that every level has different units. They overblock each other in a lot of cases, and what we have left is equal to two normal castles, buy dysfunctional and with less profit. Oy oy oy. Graphics are so off the HoMM theme. Sorry, but it does look like the Age of Wonders rip-off, and it was a long time ago. Caca.

Game mechanics. That defeats the whole idea of HoMM. My units can go by themselves? My hero is nothing more than a unit herself? Deja vu, and AoW was called a shameless HoMM3 ripoff at it's bright times...

No multiplayer? Updates? Good for them, and it better be some enormous update, to update all of the nonsense they packed this game with.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.