1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Historically innacurate movies

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Takara, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    What really winds me up is when movies change history to suit a direcotrs/makers agends. It really infuriates me in face, since I really enjoy history.

For example, U-571. That movie is totally fabricated. The operation to capture an enigma machine was purely run by the British. Why was this changed? To make it more enjoyable to Americans.

Now in itself that isnt bad, but people who know little of histroy will accept the film as fact, and that really gets to me.

Other movies that have wound me up for historical innacuracy are Braveheart, and the Patriot. Both gross exaggerations, or alterations of history. Also, Troy was an alterstion, but it was of the Illiad, rather than established fact. (feel free to correct me on that one)

So I was wondering, do you get just as angry as me? Also what are the movies that really annoy you on this subject?

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Oh, i sure get mad at those movies, darnit!
    It just annoys me how they can just simply "change" whatever they really want to and sell it as a historical movie.
    Troy's the best example right now. They could film a movie in a Zoo put Pitt along with a few other famous actors in a cage with gorillas and sell it off. Couse if you want to know what really happened you better not watch this movie named Troy.

About Braveheart... I didnt even know it wasnt the way it happened. There are also lots and lots of folks who dont know either. See, if we look at it this way this is just another political (not to mention cash-making) move to promote what the leaders want. Just like it was in Soviet Union, when there were these "Heroes" of the people, who were everything "that", its just the same here. There's this one chap who does everything right, of course he's an american with tight jeans and leather jacket, possibly smokes cigares, is 25 years old, a vietnam veteran in '80 saving whatever (a particiular planet of course).
    Gee!

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

U571 really gets to me, the fact that its changed for some American glory just really bothers me. I don't mind Braveheart so much, as I actually enjoy it a fair bit, but showing the Scots as a howling bunch of barbarians is annoying.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    In this respect, Braveheart is one of the worst offenders in disregarding historical fact. But I have not seen U571, so I can't comment on it. The Civil War movie, Glory, is one of my favorite historical movies, but is also an offender in this regard, but not to the extent of Braveheart. IMO, Glory is nevertheless an outstanding movie.

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

the movie: Julius Caesar. a very inaccurate movie about his life.

another movie about Verkingtorix played by Christopher lambert, can't remember its name, it was so weird.

Both movies were historical incorrect and the directors had added some very weird stuff. the worst one was the one about Verkingtorix, because they had added some magic and a fat Julius Caesar.

Bravehart and the patriot never bothered me, it was just movies about Mel Gibsons hate to Englishmen ;)
    but why oh why the they change the british heroes to Americans in U571?

6. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I'm one of those who nitpicks the accuracies of a movie if I know the actually history behind it.

Gladiator is another movie to add to the list. So horribly inaccurate. I think that the only thing that was accurate was the costuming.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Along with Braveheart, Mel Gibson also committed crimes against history in The Patriot. I'm not English but I would be pretty peeved at how evil he paints the English to be in both of those movies. In both films, his heroes are forces of good because they go around killing dastardly one-dimensional Englishmen.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While that clearly seemed to be his intent in Braveheart, speaking as a man who doesn't know much about Scottish history, I disagree completely about the Patriot.

The only Englishman they really painted as evil was that one general (played perfectly by Jason Isaacs, can't remember his name in the film). He went to great pains to depict Cornwallis as a decent, proper, duty-bound gentleman, and you'll see many english soldiers in the movie whom were either unsure of themselves, questioning (at least in expression) the brutality of the one general, etc. If you'll remember, in one scene the English soldiers are treating the wounds and feeding injured Colonial soldiers when they're ordered to kill them by the one evil general (and you clearly see them hesitate because they know it's wrong, yet they don't dare disobey the general).

From what I've heard, the Patriot's history is more accurate than not, but I'd have to do some heavy reading to be sure. Regardless, any historical movie has to take some liberties with the facts for the sake of movie pizazz.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Although I agree with DR mostly here. It's not so much the images of English 'brutality' in The Patriot that knocked my duck off. More the battle scenes at the end. Never would the Red Coats be so disorganised. And that film put way too much emphasis on the colonials. It's the French that won that war from what I know of it. Bloody French always a thorn in our side back then.

Braveheart though. Jesus, that's atrocious.

I can't watch it for 10 minutes before I get people shouting at me for moaning about the whole incredible innaccuracies of it. The intelligent people on here etc. who actually bother to question it, know how stupidly inaccurate it is. But you will get people who watch it and assume that it's akin to a documentary.
    No wonder the Scottish always have this hatred of us and love to see us lose at things etc.

I say that though. But I could name countless films where the same has been done to the Germans. Who don't deserve their reputation anymore either. Hollywood, it seems, has 'Must be English or German' in its 'baddy' criteria for movies.

*sigh*

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess so - but for every historical movie that bashes the Brits or the Germans, there are plenty that bash America. Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai are two that come to mind that don't make us look particularly honorable, however accurate or fair they may or may not be. Same with any movie dealing with the Native Americans really. We screwed them, and we know it. There isn't a single industrialized nation on earth with a squeaky clean past. You want to make an omelette/nation, you gotta break some eggs/people.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What about Life of Brian? :grin:

12. Takara

Media:
    My problem is with the American depiction of the British in the American war of independence. We are portrayed as evil mudering tyrants, whereas the colonials are honourable freedom fighters. Unfortunately there are always degrees of truth. People just never bother to look for them. Yes the British didnt treat the Americans too well. They were cold, brutal and arrogant. But they were not how they are portrayed. Also the colonials were no saints. There were imcidents where one colonial brigade murdered an entire town of pro-British Americans, and other acts of brutality.
    Now, anyone with interest in history will look up the facts, and not go on a hollywood picture, but many do. I feel insulted when pictures portray my country in this way, as they will believe it. Like with Braveheart. William Wallace was a nasty piece of work, but that's glossed over as it was a movie about "freedom" Something the Americans have a hard on for.

It's like the movies portraying the IRA as the freedom fighters, rather than terrorists who liked to kill innocent civillians. The Devil's own springs to mind.

On a side note, I didnt know Gladiator was based on history. I just took it as a movie and nothing more. Also I really liked Glory, but I dont know how much was altered. It says it's based on Shaw's letters, but I guess based on gives a fairly loose meaning.

13. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The battle of The Cowpens is the unnamed battle in the film the Patriot. The Patriot is really an interesting case. But not because it was an especially good film. It is, at least, in my opinion, and as others have suggested, another Mel Gibson bash at "English tyranny." This goes all the way back to Gallipoli. Here are some helpful links on the Cowpens:

http://www.patriotresource.com/factfiction/battles/cowpens.html

http://www.nps.gov/cowp/batlcowp.htm

Also, the French were instrumental in the Revolutionary Cause. But they were not present at the critical victory at Saratoga. Nor were they are part of Washington's well executed attacks at Trenton and Princeton. But they were an important part of the Yorktown campaign, which saw the surrender of General Cornwallis.

Here's a good link on Saratoga:

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/MilSci/BTSI/Saratoga/

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Pearl Harbour. But then I don't think anyone took it seriously.

15. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

U-571: This movie is not just ahistoric, it is outright awful and illogic. One torpedo hits a destroyer in the bow an the whole thing blows up. Please, come again? Did they ever hear about armor plating?
    Then again, it wasn't a real destroyer, but a fake one. Some trading vessel with a few wooden gun turrets and superstructure.
    And where did Jon Bon Jovi go, anyway?

Pearl Harbor: Another really bad movie (well, it's a Bay). The army got two fighters in the air. This is correct. But they were both shot down, damn it! Just think about it: That piece of **** would have ended a whole hour earlier if they'd made it historically correct.

13th Warrior: Nice, entertaining movie, but the historic mistakes make me cringe. Has anyone ever heard about an arabic learned man who does not speak a word of latin or greek? (But learns norwegian in less than a day. Yeah, right.)
    Banderas plays a poet who can read, write and had lessons in sword-fighting, which indicates that he had a good upbringing. Such a man would have had lessons in the two mentionend languages, because all the important texts were written in greek or latin.

Vercingetorix: This one is hilarious. The requisites look like they were inspired by 'Asterix & Obelix', the comic books. 'Nuff said.

16. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Takara, I don't think Gladiator was a true story but it has historical facts, such as how gladiators were treated, how Rome became a republic and such. Maximus is a fictitious character... I think.

@Fabius Maximus, the 13th Warrior is non-fiction. It is based of Michael Crichton's best-selling novel "Eaters of the Dead". That pretty much gives the author the right to creat a learned Arab who have "strange" linguistic skill. :D

I see that a lot of Englishmen are complaining about unfair depiction of their heritage. When was Hollywood fair? I mean, if you watch all those war movies in Vietnam. Vietnamess are always the bad guy when in fact Uncle Sam has no business there. Russians are usually portrayed as cold hearted killers. In Black Hawk Down, a bunch of dead American soldiers were honored and remembered, what about the hundreds of innocent lives forfeited in the "Mog"? (I hope I have not offended anybody.) But, in fairness with Hollywood, I also have to mention that the US National Forces (or whatever they are called) actually have a department that deals with movies. Any movie that would depicts any modern war with US soldiers (probably starting from WWII) must be screened by them. Simply put, the movie must not put the American soldier in bad light. In short... US is protecting it's image. Now, where the heck did I get this info, if I remember correctly, it's from an episode from Discovery Channel.

A lot of Russians are complaining about the innacuracy of Harrison Ford's K19. Jet Li's Hero was a depiction of one of China's greatest emperor, the one who built the Great Wall and united the warring empires of China. How the emperor was portrayed was a subject of debate, and obviously, like the US National Forces, "image" played a part. Even our own local movie about the life of our National Hero, Rizal, have also been tweaked by our own movie makers.

In short, if you want historically correct movies, get cable and watch Discovery Channel or National Geographics or Hallmark channel for more accurate portrayal of non-fiction stories. Commercial movies... research and readings required.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Gladiator - according to a doco I saw about a year ago now, it WAS based partly on historical events but (this is the only thing I recall from the doco clearly) in truth Commodus did not die in the Arena as depicted in this film, he was actually poisoned by his Senate. Mind you, my recollection may be cloudy.

A enjoyed Braveheart and have actually met a descendant of William Wallace and a descendant of the family who harboured Robert the Bruce in their cellar. It was only after the fact when I found out that they basically completely changed William himself - not to mention everything else including the vehicle in the background - that I got a bit miffed.

As for Pearl Harbour, what a freakin' joke THAT was. I do hope nobody took it seriously that 2 guys 'won' that battle on their own.

18. Takara

Media:
    For pearl harbour, I always though Tora Tora Tora was a lot better. It really focused on the japanese a fair bit.

Also, on vietnam movies, I felt that We were soldiers attempted to portay the vietnamese as humans, rather than evil killing machines, like in films like platoon.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ned Kelly was quite bad in this aspect. (Hell, the director didn't want the actors to have beards! Ned Kelly without a beard?! Phooey.)

20. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

as far as i know the 13th warrior is not a historical movie, it's losely based on the historie of ibn fadlan and the Viking poem of Beowulf. fore instance the Burial scene in the beginning is correct, ad least it is how Ibn Fadlan described it in his report to the Kalif. And the Female worshipping barbarians has also some historical correctness and the Vikings speak Swedish and Danish by the way, which is also correct(well kinda they spoke old-danish, which sounds somewhat like swedish)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.