1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hitler's Bunker

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I recently was watching a Discovery Channel special where they were at the parking lot built over Hitler's bunker. Apparently after several attempts to demolish it, there is still part of it remaining.
    So my question is, and I am hoping those on here from Germany will respond, what should be done about it?
    It is archeological evidence of the past. As a scientist and naturalist, I am against destroying archeological significant sites or artifacts. I know it represents something terrible and tragic that has happened.
    But should it be destroyed? Or should it be preserved? What about other similar sites throughout the world?
    If it should be preserved, how do you preserve something like that in a way that doesn't give the appearance of a shrine to someone like Hitler?

2. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

When the Taliban destroyed those millenia-old Buddhas in Afghanistan, I got really upset. It was pointless destruction. Artifacts such as those help us to remember the past, to study it, reflect on it, and learn from it.

Conversely, there are some things for which we need no reminder, some things we will never forget. I see no point in preserving a reminder of it.

[Edit: Spelling]

[ February 18, 2003, 14:21: Message edited by: JohnnyRTFM ]

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Preserve it, as a monument for human stupidity

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Good point Morgoth.

5. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Being from Berlin, I must say that we have enough "monuments for human stupidity" here. The one most prominent are the remains of the "Emperor (Kaiser) Friedrich Remembrance Church". Its rather high and looks like an hollow tooth (actually, it's even called this way by the berlin people *g*) because it is one of the last remains of the destroyed city. It reminds us what war can do. There are other ways to remember: The Jewish Museum, the Holocaust Museum, the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen not far from Berlin and the holocaust monument which is currently under construction. There are several TV documentations about this part of history. And several movies.

The remains of an old bunker, even if it has been Hitler's, doesn't carry that much weight. BTW, it is an monetary question. Our city is currently a little bit short on money.

Greets.

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

While I would not want any real scientific or historic evidence to be destroyed, it is, at the end of the day, Just a bunker. What can be learned from this place that cannot be learned from Dachau or Auschwitz (sic)? If the Berliners need the room and/or the money, ditch it and move on.

7. Aces Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] After they destroy it, they can put up a plaque:

"Here stood the last remains of the Thousand Year Reich, which came up nine hundred and ninety years or so short."

8. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Now there's a good idea, aces. :D

Unfortunately, any atempts in comic coming from germany in this matter were rather...weak. :rolleyes:

MfG

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.