1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do I know I'm in Auril's Bane?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by deepfae, Nov 7, 2006.

1. deepfae Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I believe I installed Aurils Bane (I downloaded the "install Icon", doubleclicked on it, and pressed the button labled "install"), but so far my game has had no new items, spell scrolls, etc. Furthermore, I suspect that I'm not running an AB game, because I have no Cantrips/whatever the priest equivalent is. Did I install AB wrong? Is there a way to test if I did or not? Granted I only just completed the Kuldahar pass, so mabye I haven't encountered anyhting yet and I am just being paranoid?

[ November 07, 2006, 11:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The last time I realized that was in Auril's bane when the last boss and his helpers hit my cleric wearing an AB armor and "weapon ineffective" popped up every time they hit her. :confused:
    And when after "Behilfet - death" no end movie played, the demon reappeared, near death and with practically unlimited hitpoints. :nuts:
    And after my fighter/thief took out the cheesy axe and killed him again in a few seconds, my party got experience again and was left standing alone in the nothingness. No monsters to fight, nowhere to go. :mad:

At character creation there should be a lot of pregenerated characters with kits.
    With AB you should have cantrips from the start.
    Another AB change is a new wizard who sells spell scrolls in the tavern where you start in Easthaven.
    In Kuldahar there's a merchant in the Inn who sells new stuff.

So if you haven't realized any change yet Auril's Bane wasn't installed.
    Just try again and read the instructions, I had no problem installing Auril's Bane version 1.6.

It's much harder to get rid of it.
    Install it only if you know what you're doing.
    It is an interesting option if you already played the game and want to try out something new, but if it's your first time through the game stay away from it.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I liked AB, but I agree with Kmonster, it is hard to get rid of it. And that AB armor is cheesy, when you wear it most enemies in the game can not touch you:as unlike in BG2, IWD enemy attacks are considered to be 'normal' enchantment most of the time, including the last boss! (as there is no Pro from Normal/Magical weapons type spells in IWD, less mage cheese!)

Anyway, back to your problem.

Oh there is a problem. Your mod is not installed properly! You should have seen mage scroll seller in Easthaven, and new cantrips/spells allready!

How did you install the mod? Installing it via download link is not enough. Find the AB.exe and run it (it should be located in you IWD folder). It is a Weidu mod AFAIK, when you start AB.exe, a small window (like those of MS-DOS) should appear and ask you which components to install. Then you choose which components you want, and it installs them. It should say 'x component succesfuly installed' in the end. Then restart a new game and see if you have cantrips, and if a mage is selling low level scrolls in Griselda's best. ;) Hope this helps! Have fun!

4. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Thanks kmonster and silverstar, but I figured out what I'd done wrong shortly after creating this thread. I only unpacked the components, and I had to put them into the Icewind Dale program files before I could install it. :doh:

So now its installed

And its not my first time through, whcih is why I installed it. All those items and cool little easter egg NPC's are priceless: the bhallspawn-scouting drow in the root cellar made my night. Which raises the question-why is no one even a little disturbed by a couple of drow hangin' out in Kuldahahr? I mean last time I checked, they wern't the most tolerant bunch-they butcher all their half-breed children in IWD2. Then again, in IWD2 no one has a problem with Nym the merchant in the wandering village-I guess NPC's only have a problem when the PC's are drow...and only PC's have a problem when NPC's are drow...

As for that cheesy armor, I won't use it when it comes up. Its way too overpowered (from what I've heard). And hopefully my last battle will work? Or is it a guarenteed bug? Keep in mind I have v. 1.7

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The armor is sold at the Evening Shade inn IIRC. Do not buy it! And be merry!

I liked the drow guys in Kuldahar too, but I do not know why/how they are there. I like the BG2 aroma in it, but it does not make sense. Do they have a plot?

HINT:Try attacking them with your party fresh to Kuldahar! Have fun! :banana: PS:Save before doing so, just in case. :grin:

There is one additional quest in the exit of Dorm's Deep, but it is nothing spectecular. I was expecting something more.

New spells and items are nice touch though. :) But when you install AB you can not use DK, and this really bugs me! :(

I was able to finish the game properly with AB installed. Do not know the cause of Kmonster's bug. Hope you will enjoy your game! Have fun! ;)

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The endgame bug isn't that bad, you just don't get to see the demon dying and the end movie after you defeated him.

I took a look at the boards at the AB website. It's probably version related. I've the UK version with the defect disc.

7. deepfae Gems: 7/31

Well hopefully my version will evade the end bug. And thanks silverstar, I will have fun!

P.S. So far I ave no idea what the significance of the drow are. I just like the fact that they are there in the root cellar and no one else really cares :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.