1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How good are online games???

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jeb, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jeb Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] hey all, jeb here. I have always been interested in online games. i can't recall the amounts of times i have played games like Galactic Battlegrounds and Civ III over the net. and i was just wandering, have any of you played a online game, and could you just gimme a rundown to see if it was any good. also, if anyone is interested in having an online game, my MSN user name is

Slimes_mckensie@hotmail.com.

I look foward to some replies!!

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The best online games that come to mind are Joint Operations:Typhoon Rising and Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory.

Both are quite awesome, and feel free to drop me a PM if you are up for Wolfenstein. By the way, Enemy Territory is free.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Enemy Territory is just regular shoot'em'up like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, Science & Industry, Frontline Force, The Ship, Firearms, and a few others I haven't tried.

Thus I have ended up back to playing Natural Selection despite the fact that it is quite unbalanced at the moment, and the update speed is horrible (basically "something" once in a year).

4. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I tried Everquest, what an annoying waste of time.
    I also tried the games like Socom. Ever see the commercials in the US were these guys are playing as a team and one by one they get picked off. One of the guys says into the mic, "Who are these guys? (refering to the other team)." Then the camera shoots to a group of marines playing somewhere, just laughing. Well, the online games I've been in have NEVER been like that. Most of the time everyone is just running around like morons shooting everything. No team cooporation at all.
    Sports games are another disappointment. In most times I've played, if I started winning, the other player would just quit. Grrrrr.
    Fight Night 2004 for PS2 had a lot of players cheating and uping their stats and cheating in infinite help and stanima. And how do you think he got over 100,000 wins?
    I'm just staying away from online games.

5. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I'm new to online games, as I just got a connection fast enough to use them. The most fun I have had has been with Medal of Honor; good banter, good servers on Gamespy Arcade, co-op if you want it and a lot of poorly spent time. I also play Starcraft online and some other oldies, but I'd love to get into Battlefield. I tried NwN MP but it wasn't much fun and it lagged a bit for me and I was pushing almost 2.0 MB/sec. I gues I like my RPG experiences to be more personal, too.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

For online games, I've only been able to play two (slow computer): Diablo and Quake.

Diablo was IMO the best online gaming setup. Bnet was simple and easy to use, seamlessly integrated with the game, and the gameplay suited multiplayer to a T. I enjoyed multiplayer Diablo immensely and was hooked for years. I would put Diablo II here too, except I can't run it well enough to comment.

Quake was also good fun. Fast furious action, which is what multiplayer 3D shooters should be about. The ultimate party game. Too bad Quake 2 and 3 ruined the series.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Can't say I've played too many online games. Only DiabloII, but I must say that this is what the game is all about. You can play it 1-2 times on your own and its still good, but when playing multi-player it takes on a whole new perspective.

I have played games like Command&Conguer, Warcraft and Half-life multi-player across a local network. This was brilliant and a much more enjoyable experience than playing single player.

8. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Unreal Tournament, one of the best games for modding and customising and having large multiplayer games; a great online shoot'em up. It may not have the legth and depth of a strategy game like Civ or RPG like Diablo, but what it lacks in that, it makes up in pure excitment and adrenaline and you can start and finish a game in under 5 minutes!! Head shot!! MMMMMMONSTER KILL!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.