1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How many times do you replay a game?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Ofelix, May 6, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    If you find a game REALY good, how many time will you replay it? I think I've replay BG1 3 times only for Xzar, he's one funny ones!

[ May 06, 2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It depends on the game. I've replayed BG1 3 times, IWD 2, BG2 I've played through a little ways and started over about 7 million times. But then there are games that I only play through once and have no desire to do so again.

3. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Death Rabbit is right, it really depends on the game. A game may be good, but you still don't want to replay it, eg. NWN (well, I tried it very often :D ) but other games like Diablo 2 (I think I replayed it for 10 times :D ) I replay very often. It really depends on the game :)

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

'Til I get a new one. ;)

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I know i'll never again replay NwN offical module.

And i know i will someday run BG2 again and finish it again the 4th time.

Some games are just not made for many times playing and others are. In some you can go through as many times as you want but you'll get nothing new from it so that is a futile thing to do.

All-in-all > depends completely on the game.

6. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Depends on what game and how good it is.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Until I am done with it.

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

God knows how many hours I've spent in Icewind Dale. And Star Control 2. And Thief (um, yeah; Thief2 as well. it's grown on me).

By far and large, those three games have gotten my money's worth, and they some.

After that, it's kind of a toss up. I'll reload a game I've not played in a year or more, like Curse of Monkey Island, or Alpha Centauri, or Mechwarrior3, or Jagged Alliance2. I'd say games like those have been worth the money, definately. But not crazy kind of worth it; just worth it.

The advantage to making a good game (like Tomb Raider or Thief), is that more often than not you can just reuse the engine. Make some tweaks here and there. But the second time through, normally the bean counters win out, and the plot and story are just abyssal. There have been times when they have not, but those are the defination of a Good Game, and are the definate minority.

This will change in the future. When the technology gets crazy enough, companies are going to have to seriously pick and choose their think tanks. But for now, there's still plenty of bad games to make the world turn about it's axis.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Alright I'll get through the list from one of my first games to one of my last games.

1) civilization: you don't want to know but that number goes over the hundred, games started that is.
    2)Heroes of might and Magic 2: the official campaign about 3 times but single maps go into the fifties
    3)Secret of mana: about 8 times
    4)Settlers: about 3 times but if you count hours, pfoeh
    5)Baldur's Gate 1: more than ten times

This is but a grasp of all the games I played but it gives an image. As you can see these are all classics so it really depends on the game.

10. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, than I will do the same thing as Apeman

-Secret of Mana ( :D ) : 13 times
    -Illusion of time : 3 times
    -Zelda-A Link to the past : 4 times
    -Final Fantasy VII : 3 times
    -Silver : 2 times
    -BG 1 : 2 times
    -Secret of Mana 2 : 8 times
    -Planscape Torment : 2 times
    -Diablo : 3 times
    -Diablo 2 : Far too much ;)
    -NWN : 2 times (that was really hard work :D )
    -BG 2 : 2 times

like I said before, it depends on the game, for example PS:T is a wonderful game and I only played it two times till the end.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I think I've replayed Diablo II LoD from normal-Hell around 50 times in multiplayer. And killed Mephisto more than ten thousand times, if he counts as replayability. Bleeh... *is slightly mad*

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I play the game as long as it is on my shelf. Once I finish it, I let it be there for a little while and start it anew when I feel like it. ( :doh: :) ) At least until a new, incompatible OS come around... (like Linux, soon)

13. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Chrono Trigger is probably the best JCRPG I've ever played. My first time was some 6 years ago, and since then I've only played it through 1 or 2 times more.

So what does that say? It says it depends. For games like Fallout can and should be played through multiple times to get the most fun out of them. But because the linearity of many console games the experience you get from them lessens every time you play them. So in order to save the best pieces for memorization years later, you can't play them too often. If I hadn't played Final Fantasy VII those 10 times through back when it came out, I could still pick it up from my shelf today if I wished and get an incredible gaming experience.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.