1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HOW- The black mirror

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by dalkiel, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dalkiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Just finished HOW. One thing I didnt fathom was the Dwarf (I forgot his name) in the Ice cave in Gloomfrost told me to bring back the mirror (that I used on the dragon/barbar to reveal his true self) so he can tell me more.

I went back to the wylfdene's main hall and searched but didnt find the mirror. i also refered to a walkthrough on gamefaqs but that had no details regarding this possible side quest.

Thoughts?

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The mirror always disappears after you've used it on the dragon. It's a pity, since the abilities it gets after upgrading are quite useful.
    Maybe they had different plans in mind which didn't make it to the final version.

3. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You probably just misunderstood what he said. He said to bring back the mirror to Wylfdene, not bring it back to him (the blind dwarf).

4. dalkiel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Nope i went to see him after defeating wylfdene. You have to press him for more info and then he'll reluctantly tell you to bring him the mirror.

I think the other poster was right when he said the creators of the game probably decided to do away with that for whatever reason

5. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

Well, you guys are right. Tiernon will actually upgrade the black mirror into an amulet, it's good, but not the best:

Mirror of Black Ice Amulet

Wrapped with serpentine twine around its corners and tapped in place by Tiernon's hands, this mirror of black ice may now be worn around the neck. It still serves the same function as the original black ice mirror, but it feels much lighter now, and the reflections within the mirror seem both sharper and duller at the same time.

The power of the Mirror of Black Ice lies in its ability to confound the sight of an attacker. Merely wearing it provides a boon to the wearer's defenses, as attackers will discover the wearer suddenly isn't where they thought he was when they first attacked. By concentrating on the mirror, however, the wearer may alter what others see when they look at him, distorting his image to make him harder to hit, or splitting his image into several reflections of himself, further confusing attackers. The mirror contains only a limited number amount of energy to perform these greater feats, but when the Blur and Mirror Image powers are gone, the passive defenses will remain.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class Bonus: 3 vs. Missile Attacks
    Armor Class Bonus: 2 vs. All Physical Melee Attacks except Crushing Attacks
    Special:
    +3 to Saving Throws vs. Spells and Wands, Staves, Rods
    Cast Blur
    Cast Mirror Image

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    So is it actually possible to do this in-game, or did you get the item description from the game files?

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

You can get it upgraded when you return from the seeer and have a high int character talk to Tiernon.

But since the mirror disappears after fullfilling its purpose in the barbarian camp its use is limited.

8. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31

Actually, I got the info from Dale Keeper. I tried to acquire the black mirror from the cheat console (after the real one disappeared after revealing Isacaracht) but it turns out the cheat console don't work no more... don't know why. So I acquired the mirror via Dale Keeper. After I had the mirror, I took it back to Tiernon, but no matter what I do, he doesn't upgrade it. If Kmon says you have to talk to him with a high int char... I could've sworn I let all of my chars talk to Tiernon, including my high Int wiz... then that must be the way to upgrade it.

If you try to search for it in DK, search under "jewelry", and the mirror in "misc"

9. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Perhaps you only get the dialogue option between visiting the seer and returning to the barbarian camp.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.