1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to kill adware and spyware

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Scot, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Okay, I've searched the boards and read the related threads, but haven't found the answer to my problems so here they are:

I’ve got some ad/spyware programs that my Norton Anti-virus program found but failed to delete. Some I was able to manually delete, but I’m having trouble deleting many of them. Here are four problems:

1. I try to delete the program and get this message. “Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.”

2. I try to delete the program and get this message. “Cannot delete ( file name) It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using it and try again.” All programs ARE closed when this happens.

3. I went to Add/remove programs, highlighted file name and clicked on remove program then clicked on OK, but nothing happens and the program is still there.

4. Anti-virus program identifies location of ad/spyware as C:Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ Content.IE5 but there is no Local Settings folder in the Owner folder

I've got: Windows XP, Norton Anti-Virus, Comcast broadband and a Firewall.

Thanks.

2. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

#'s 1,2 and 3 happened to me as well. Have you tried the programs or browsers mentioned in the other threads, like Mozilla, Adaware or Spy Sweeper?

For #4, I think that file is hidden. You'll have to make it visible or just erase your temp internet files.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You should have the option to run ad-aware when you next log on so that the item can be deleted before its used by the other program (when everything is starting up). Have you tried microsofts anti-spyware program? Its really good.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Load up in Safe Mode and then delete them.
    If you don't already; use FireFoxas your browser. It blocks most of this crap.

5. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Spybot (Search and Destroy) is also good for killing spyware - and some adware.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah, Spybot search and destroy combined with adaware has always worked for me, and they're both free!

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Like Cesard said, Microsoft's Anti-Spyware (Link) is surprisingly good. Ad-Aware (Link) is also very good.

For the other problems, like Barmy Army has said, try doing it in SafeMode. And instead of FireFox, why not try Opera (Link) instead? :)

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That is because M$ bought the best rated company soon after the reviews and renamed the program. ;)

9. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Barmy Army has the best advice. Boot into Safe Mode.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Now why does that not surprise me? :p

11. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Don´t use Norton. I used Norton a LONG time ago, and I had nothing but problems with it. I use Avast now, and since I switched I haven´t had a single virus, trojan, adware, whatever you wanna call it. I had 8 adwares that Norton couldn´t remove or quarantine. It could see them, however.

5 minutes after I installed Avast, 11!!! adwares had been found and removed + 1 trojan that Norton hadn´t discovered.

The oddest thing was that Norton could not remove these, even though it was able to see them. And Norton was fully updated. I initially tried Spybot. No good. They were still there when I rebooted, even though Spybot gave me the message that they were deleted before I shut down my computer.

But Avast did the trick with virusdefinitions that were 2 years old. But even after I updated Avast, there was no more crap on my computer. And I haven´t had any alerts ever since that. I have no faith in Norton anymore.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, yes, my PC seems to be virus free since I installed Avast.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.