1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make a wooden sword?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DragonRider SkyWard, Jul 3, 2002.

1. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Does any one know how to make a wooden sword? Something simple that will be easy to make but that's real in size and weight. Anything that could point me the right way to fight with a sword too.

2. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm, what type of swordfighting do you want to do? Theatrical, or the freestyle type? I'm a member of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, a Middle Ages reenactment group, and I can tell you a bit on how we do sword fighting. Wooden swords are risky; due to the fact that when they break, they tend to splinter. Also if you hit too hard, you can do major damage.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

1) Find a Stick
    2) Pick up stick
    3) Swing it wildly over your head howling like a Barbarian
    4) Repeat

;)

4. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

I needed that lauch Mathetais.

I want to know how to swing a sword like in Middle Ages. Maybe defend with a sheild too. But I need to learn the basic's.

I thought about wrapping the sword in lots of duck tape soften the blow and prevent splitering. If your wondering, no I'm not going to try and fight any one.

Any info that you can give me I'd be happy to learn.....Theatircal, freestyle???

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Why don't you try taking Fencing Lessons?

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I've taken fencing lesons. Fencing is pretty similiar to stage-fighting in that you wouln't fence or stage-fight if you were actually trying to stab the person. So if you want to learn something that looks pretty cool then fencings ok but if you want realism then i wouldn't suggest it.

7. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Fencing should be rather cool...I think, never taken it before, but...

Is it fast? Furious? Blah?

8. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Q: How do I make a wooden sword?
    A: Don't

Buy the cheapest real sword off Ebay; wrap a towel around the blade, then wrap tape aroud the towel. It works for me; plus, the extra weight will help build muscels depending on how big the towel is. :rolling:

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31

Get two planks and nail them together. Then off you go with your friends and pretend you're some great heroes.

10. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Fencing Lessons???? No. I want to learn to fight with a sword but I dont want to take lessions unless I get to use a bradsword.

Kitrax, ya that is a good idea. If i want to get arested. I'll keep that in mind when I become a fuitative.:lol: No really my parents are very much agenst buying things off the net. And haveing a real sword in the house is not a great thing.

Volar belive me when I say I've done that enough already. Still do:roll:

11. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have a woodensword that I made in school. Really nice. Me and my friend made two swords at the same time. Course, woodenswords are a bit dangerous. You can always make a "boffersword" just to learn the swordthingie. You take two thin sticks. wrap them in silver, or other, tape. Put a stick across the other ones. A very early prototype of a sword. Newbies that have just started with live RPG often use those, they are very easy to make and easy to fight with. They don't hurt anyone, but they are very fragile. They are called "Bofferswords" just because they sound BOFF when you hit something with em.

[This message has been edited by Eilonwy (edited July 03, 2002).]

12. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Fencing is fun :) Two of my friends are in the British junior fencing team :D

Of course it is nothing like proper swordfighting - the weapons are completely different for one, and so on :)

[This message has been edited by Wildfire (edited July 04, 2002).]

13. I once made a blade of wood and the hilt of iron

I then painted the wood with some paint I found.. It looked real.

14. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    :lol: Go visit the SCA's main website www.sca.org. What you're describing in what you want to do dovetails quite nicely into what the SCA does. Find the group nearest you and find out when they do fighter practices. Go watch one week and see if it fits what you want to learn. With proper safety equipment, you can go beat on other people with your sword... of course, you wind up with some very interesting to explain bruises.

15. Id advise using Bamboothat is if you ahve any nearby. Cut it near the base, strip the leaves, and cut to desired length, let dry for a couple days, and then have fun.

Caution, do not play with the Bamboo if it starts splitting.. trust me, you dont want to be hit with that.....

16. Take a big piece of wood.(1m about.)
    Take a knife,axe,carpenting equipmentetc. and make a line of how you want the sword to be.(Lond sword=double edge,katana style=bending edge.)After that take three smaller pieces of wood (The one must be double the size of the other two.), and do this:take the two smaller part's and clue,stick,nail them together on the bigger pieces sides.Glue,stick,nail the two part's together or get a book on craftmanship.

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited July 04, 2002).]

17. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

If your dad won't let you use the saw/drill/hammer etc, it helps if, like me, you know Karate.

Hiyaaah!

Also, you can pick up wood from dumps. I got a lot of cool stuff from dumps, including splinters.

18. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31

Stefanina, what Kingdom are you in?

I think I'll make a wooden sword just for fun.

19. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I hail from the Barony of An Crosaire, in the kingdom of Triamris. AKA Gainesville, Florida... :grin:

20. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Hey!

If you make a wooden sword then Zarakinthish's aluminum chain mail will work just fine!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.