1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HP only increases by 3 on level up

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by DrowKiller, Sep 13, 2009.

1. DrowKiller Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Although I've got 18 Constitution, my Human Fighter/Theif (Theif to lvl 8, dueled over to Fighter, now level 12) has only ever gotten 3 HP per level up. WTF?

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

After fighter classes (fighters, paladins and rangers and all kits) hit level 9, they no longer roll a d10 at level up, they always gain 3 HP per level up thereafter, and CON modifiers no longer apply. It is a rule of the 2nd edition system, and unlike 3rd edition, high level heroes can not have absurd amounts of HP, like 300+.

So a thief dualled into a fighter will have low HP as he spent his 'good' levels for HP gain at thievery. You started gaining HP for fightership after lvl 10, and since you are past lvl 9, you will only gain 3 HP per level up. CON does not make a difference here, it is more like a skill at avoiding damage and death, from now on.

Clerics and druids also gain only 2 HP after lvl 9. Thieves gain 2 HP after lvl 10. Mages only gain 1 HP after lvl 10. (and are bound to have the least HP as usual)

Hope this helps.

3. DrowKiller Gems: 1/31

Wow that sucks. I guess it's to balance things out a bit, and I suppose it does. It's just strange, because I never noticed it before this game.

Well, thank you very much for such a quick response.

EDIT: So, another question, then. Does that mean that there's no bonus to picking a Fighter/Mage/Theif class, as opposed to Mage/ Theif, especially if I only plan to use short blades? Access to long bows/ composite bows would be nice, but would I get penalized HP gain?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Fighter levels will always benefit from CON score of greater than 16. But multi class characters will have their HP divided by the number of their classes at each level up, so it balances things out. A 18 CON (actually a waste, as M/T does not gain benefit from CON higher than 16) M/T will have 7 HP at lvl 1, and F/M/T will have 9, thanks to benefit of 18 CON and fighter levels.

In any case, HP should not be your main priority. Any class combination with mage levels are superb at avoiding damage all together, if you have stacks of mirror image, stoneskin and protection from magical weapons spells, plus spell protections, HP is irrevelant, you will not be taking any damage at all, even from the most damaging and deadly attacks.

On the other hand, a F/M/T will have access to fighter high level abilities and will eventually have much more terrific fighting moves to use in combat, becoming much more effective meleer than a M/T can ever hope to be. A F/M/T is actually very fun, with dual wielding thief weapons+Improved Haste to double attack rate+Mislead spell to be perma-invisible+Critical Strike HLA and backstabbing, you can have 4-5 attacks per round, each doing x10 damage. :p

A M/T will have higher lvl spells and more thief skills to compensate. It is all balanced eventually, and is only left to your own choice, preferance, and party composition.

5. DrowKiller Gems: 1/31

Oh yeah, F/M/Ts definitely look like fun. I just started one, and, oh man. Half elf, 16str, 18dex, 18con, 15int, 18wis, and 9?cha. Think I'm going to be a backstabber, primarily. It's looking good so far.

Thank you very much again for your replies.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.