1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hurrah for Seattle - Down with idiotic ads

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Nov 30, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    According to Infoworld, a company selling a spyware/adware/whatnot protection program has been forced to pay money in settlement after being sued for inducing Internet users to believe that they had spyware on their computer whereas no detection had been performed. That and some fear-inducing gibberish. All in all, the fun has ended for them. Clicky. IMHO it should be a criminal offence to lie in advertisements, anyway.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    AFAIK, it IS illegal to lie in an advertisement. The charges is, appropriately enough, false advertising. However, while we have the FCC that does a pretty good job at watching out for things on radio and TV ads, they don't seem to do a very good job with the internet.

Then again, this is an example of just flat-out lying, and not really false advertising. False advertising is when you say your product does something, when it in fact does not do it. So maybe there does need to be some improvement in the law. Then again, they are saying that their product detected spyware on your computer when it didn't - so that would fall under the law of making a false claim about your product.

Another example that I find to be tantamount to lying is the web service called "FreeCreditReport.com". They are so popular that they even advertise on TV. Upon seeing that name, the natural supposition one would make is you can log on to that site and get a free copy of your credit report. Well, it doesn't really work that way. They will provide you with a free credit report - on the condition that you sign up with their credit monitoring service at the cost of about $20 per month. That definitely seems to be blurring the line of truth to me. It's free - if you're willing to pay for something else. To me, that makes it not free.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have not seen the specific ad in question but that type of ad always seems to sneak in a weasel word so that if you read the warning closely it actually says that you "might" have spyware on your computer.

I am not saying that I like that type of advertising, it exists solely to take advantage of the fear and ignorance of the majority of computer users, but I don't think I would go so far to say that it is false advertising.

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

One question - how or why do mcdonalds and other tacky 'restaurants' get away with their misleading advertisements? Their posters show huge juicy burgers, but thats not what you get.

5. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, Cuchulainn - I can tell you how they can get away with saying their 'burgers' are made with 100% Beef™.

"100% Beef™" is the name of the company that supplies them their 'meat' or cardboard/sawdust/ground cartilage/etc. :skeptic:

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

That's why the english needs to make a distinction between free (as in no strings attached, no requirements need to be met exept perhaps to get the free thing), and cost-free (as in the example above: you need to do something to recieve that extra "reward"). In Swedish we have the words "gratis" (free as explained above), and "kostnadsfri" (cost-free as above). There has been a few cases in Sweden where someone has used the word "gratis" instead of "kostnadsfri" in their advertisements, and suffered legal consequenses because of it.

[ December 15, 2006, 22:13: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    We could call it 'deliberately deceptive' advertising and split the difference ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.