1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I can not find a game to play heeeeeeeelp me

Discussion in 'Playground' started by guguma, Jun 8, 2007.

1. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hello and good days,

There is something that is troubling me, I have some free time and I cannot find a game to play, let me open myself to you and you suggest me somthing if it is suitable for you,

what I have already played (even played a couple of times and loved) are Fallout series, BG series, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale series, hitman series, jagged alliance series, might and magic series (VI VII VIII), total war series, diablo series, heroes series starcraft.

what I cannot or wont play are

-NWN 2 (and NWN is too much hack and slash and buggy to play it is full of useless dialogs and chest hunting NWN 2 looks like a nice rpg but my computer fails)

-Elder Scrolls Series (hate them and hate bethesda I am sure they will kill fallout series too with their useless open endedness where you just sight see and bear their intolerable dialogues where there is no character to them)

-Pool of Radiance RoMD (level limit is too low)

So what can you suggest for a game player like me,
    It may be a FPS with some reason in it (like hitman), it can be an frp-rpg like BG or IWD (but I think there is none)

in short I want some action rahter than completely blowing my brains out for strategy or story folowing (or house memorizing like in M&M series)
    but it should not be hack and slash

thanks all in advance

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If your computer will run it, try S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl, or F.E.A.R. You could also try the Thief Series, with Thief 3 Deadly Shadows being the Latest.

3. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Try some of the Blizzard games like Warcraft III.

...And shouldn't this be in The Playground?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Battle for Middle Earth 2 is cool.
    Company of Heroes?
    Don't be so quick to rubbish Oblivion, pretty cool game that.
    Medieval Total War 2 is wicked as well.

Plenty of good stuff out there. The RPG's of old are dead as the dodo, so don#t be looking around for a replacement.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Try Vampire Bloodlines, it's a very good game with enough variety to keep you interested plus it should be cheap by now.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Definitely recommend the Thief series. Never played the last one, but the other two are excellent.

I would say ToEE but you mention not wanting something too tactical. Arcanum might do, you don't need to follow the story too closely (just wandering around doing things is a lot of fun) and combat mode can be turned to real-time.

Knights of the Old Republic is not bad. It's less hack and slash than NWN, has a better story (still tends towards predictable though), and is generally a much better game, even though it was overhyped IMHO. I've not played the sequel (yet) but have heard good things about it as well.

Aside from these, most other games I would suggest are waaay older, so unless you don't mind that I won't list them.

7. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

When my exams are over I'm gonna get a few games for any rainy days in the summer. These are what I plan to get so they may interest you:
    -Company of Heroes
    -Star Wars Galaxies
    -Tomb Raider Anniversary
    They should keep me busy for a while. Also you said you had the Total War series, the new patch fro medieval II makes the game much more challenging especially on the campaign mode, stainless steel is also a good mod to try with it.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    RTS:
    - Civilization 4 (plus expansion, though a new exp is coming out in the fall)
    - Battle for Middle Earth 2 (plus expansion)
    - Age of Mythology
    - Company of Heroes (best RTS I've ever played)
    - Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (plus latest expansion, but don't get the 1st expansion too, the second has all of the 1st's content)

RPG:
    - Knights of the Old Replublic (1 is great, 2 is buggy but good)

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes I agree that Knights of the Old Republic was a very good game - well both of them but I dont think I ever finished the second.

10. guguma Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hmm, I think I will go for Thief 3, Arcanum and Bloodlines are wonderful suggestions indeed but I have played them too (sorry forgot to mention :rolleyes: )

but still more suggestions are welcome if it does not bother you

Thank you all...

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Heck, let's get old-school:

Deus Ex
    or
    Anachronox
    (From the people that brought you Thief)

Heck, you could even go really old school and try Ultima Underworld. (I or II or both) Again by our man Spector. :D

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Civilization IV rules. I would give that a go.

13. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    If you liked Fallout and Arcanum you may enjoy Lionheart Legacy of the Crusader, it's far from being as good as Fallout but it looks better than Arcanum and it's enjoyable nonetheless.

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The biggest problem I have with playing the older game is finding them; if you can find them than buy them if the price is right. Nox is another great game to play, but finding it is another story.

I recommend trying out Sacred Gold as it is still available and is a reasonable price.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've been amazed at how many older games I can find on Amazon and Pricegrabber. Pricegrabber moreso, actually. There are a lot of independent game stores across the country (at least here in the US) who also market their wares online, which are then picked up by market search engines like Pricegrabber.

Give it a shot.

edit - just found NOX on pricegrabber (through Amazon, actually) for 54.99. That sucks. :( But at least it's there.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Another vote for the KotOR series here.

Also, try the Max Payne games. Matrix-style shooting with a heavy "film noir" theme? What's not to love? :p

17. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, there is something free that can easily waste your time: Wesnoth.
    It's a free, turn-based fantasy strategy game with funny graphics. The mechanics are quite simple, allowing you to concentrate on the game. Supports 28 different languages, has 6 campaigns included and more can be downloaded from the web. It's free, so there's nothing to lose.

Can't remember the site adress, but it should be easy to find with Google.

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Another game to try is...play a console RPG. That keeps entertain if I get bored or played out the fun of PC RPGs.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Geneforge series - cRPG that is quite similar to Fallout in how it handles things (non-linear wise).

Deus Ex - definately try this if you're interested in mixing action with good storytelling and action.

Max Payne - I'll second this, though I found it annoying how linear it was. Still very good.

Mount and Blade - action RPG with an emphasis on the action. It's a sandbox game without any plot, but is a very enjoyable medieval combat kind of game.

The Geneforge's and Mount and Blade are shareware, so you can try them easily enough before buying.

20. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i hihly recommend an adventure game called

Day of the Tentacle, a small, kinda old game that is absolutely hillarious!

other than that, i second(or third or whatever) the Vampire bloodlines

what about No one lives forever? and 80-ish james bond like FPS, great fun and still a bit of tactics

Empire Earth 2 is a good RTS

for complete carnage, violence and saving the world : Serious Sam 2

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.