1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I need fantasy other than Dragonlance

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Saber, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Sure, I've read other fantasy than Dragonlance, but not much in the big picture. I love Dragonlance, and I would like similar type books (as in, elves, dwarves, dragons, etc), but something that is... better?

I've read a bunch of other things by Margaret Weiss, but how about other things from other authors? Any recommendations?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, there's Lord of the Rings (I assume that you've read it but you never know). The Shannara books by Terry Goodkind are kind of a knock-off (at least in the beginning - they get better).

Ray Feist's Magician books are rather good, but they go downhill eventually.

Joel Rosenberg's Guardian of the Flame books are reasonably well-written.

Those are books with the classic dwarf/elf/human elements.

If you want to stray a bit, there are some good books by Steve Brust (Jhereg series), Glen Cook (Dark Company series, although his Garrett books have the elves and stuff), Michael Stackpole writes some interesting things (Once a Hero comes to mind), Guy Gavriel Kay is a very good author (Fionavar Tapestry series and others).

Then there's epic fantasy like Robert Jordan's never-ending series or Terry Goodkind's never-ending series. People here swear by George R.R. Martin's recent series (I'm less wowed, but whatever).

There's more gritty fantasy such as Roger Zelazny's Amber books.

Good lord, I could go on and on. . . .

3. Saber

I really didn't like the LotR books... way too many descriptions... I got bored after he spent 15 pages describing the Eye of Sauron...

So nothing like Salvatore, or anything? I've heard a lot of people talk about him here.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    saövatore has his god points, I prefer his FR stuff over his originals, although ther Spearwielder books are pretty decent.

there´s the Deathgate Cycle and the... Darklsword trilogy my Margaret Weiss and Tarcy Hickman of the DL fame that I definitely recommend..

mercedes Lackey is also a pretty good - especially her Valdemar books.

5. Saber

Thanks guys (so far).

Ara, I've already read the DeathGate Cycle (great!), and the Sovereign (sp) Stone Trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman... I'll look into Darksword.

Which of Salvatore's FR stuff should I read? He has quite a few of them...

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Salvatore? Now, there are two - no, three - schools of thought about him.

Some think he's an utterly bad author whose books are endless strings of quite often pointless battles fought by characters that have personalities like wet socks and are on a clichee race with each other.

Others think that he rocks, because they can find themselves in the endless whining of his most prominent character.

The people in the third group mostly think that Salvatore produces nice little books which are easy and enjoyable to read (once) but are not worth talking about.

Okay, rant over. (Sorry, I try to restrain myself every time I read the name. Sometimes it does not work.)

If you really want to try him out, then get the Dark Elf Trilogy out of a library. His best work so far, it still falls IMO short even of Weis/Hickmans Dragonlance Chronicles that are no high point in literature, either.

I recommend Keith Bakers novels "City of Towers" and "The Shattered Land". The first one is not that well written, but his writing improved a lot in the second.
    The setting has some nice twists compared to ordinary fantasy, but has all typical ingredients.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm in that group, but I also feel exactly the same way about Dragonlance books, so if you want stuff that is in the same vein as Dragonlance, then I guess Salvatore is your man.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Saber, how old are you? Yes, that's on topic, really, because some of the things I would recommend with no reservations are, ah, not exactly suitable for younger folks.

Anyway, if you think you can handle crucifixions and assorted other brutalities, check out Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and Glen Cook's Black Company. Note that elves and dragons and such have little to no role in these stories.

If you like Salvatore, you'd probably like Michael Stackpole. I'm not a huge fan of his, but I used to be--at the same time I was a huge fan of Salvatore. If you like Dragonlance, you'll most likely enjoy Stackpole.

9. Saber

I'm 16 years of age, and I [believe that I] can take pretty much descriptions in books of anything. Of course, I could be wrong.

I haven't read Salvatore.

And I prefer fantasy that are similar in structure to Dragonlance... not similar to them, but I like reading about battles amongst different races... reading about humans gets boring.

Thanks so far.

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you go with Salvatore try the first book in the Dark Elf Trilogy called Homeland. In my opinion its his best book and its chronologically the beginning of his neverending Drizzt/Drow stuff.

It was actually written after the Icewind Dale trilogy but it is chronologically before Icewind Dale. That's a good thing, since I thought Icewind Dale was somewhat disappointing. Salvatore was a much better writer when he did the prequel Dark Elf Trilogy.

Homeland is a short read and you can decide for yourself whether Salvatore is worth pursuing. If you like it you're all set - the guy writes books like bunnies breed. ;)

BTW age does generally matter. Your 16, and since you dislike Tolkien it is probable you'll dislike some of the more wordy authors like George Martin and Tad Williams. When I was 16 I thought Terry Brooks and his Shannara series was the height of modern fantasy. Lots of wars, very violent etc - you should check him out BTW, ElfStones of Shannara specifically. I read 3 or 4 of his books recently (now I'm 36) and I see the difference between Brooks and Martin or Williams very clearly. I'm guessing you love Salvatore now. Give it a try!

[ March 23, 2006, 17:13: Message edited by: ToddMcF2002 ]

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yeah, I'm going to chime in with a "listen to Todd McFarlane!"

Read Salvatore, read Stackpole, read Brooks. After you're done with them then read stuff like Martin and Erikson and Hobb and Cook and...yeah.

12. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

You could give Michael Moorcock's "Elric of Melnibone" series a try. There's six books and none of them are longer than 150 pages, iirc--perfect reading if you're a teenager with a short attention span (like I was).

Plus the lead character's sword is sentient and devours the souls of its victims! What more could you ask for...

If you can find it, there's also Harry Turtledove's "Misplaced Legion" series. Nothing in the way of elves/dwarves/whatever, but it's got a nice alternate fantasy setting and some good battles.

By all means read the Amber series. I was 16 when I first read it, and I've probably re-read it seven or eight times over the years (I'm 38 now).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.