1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I, Robot

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] ...was pretty damn good. :borg: One of the best I've seen in a while, actually.

I highly recommend it. Will Smith is starting to become on of my favorite movie stars, I decided, as a result of this movie.

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm actually planning to see this in a couple of days when it starts here. It'll be either this or King Arthur.

3. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

You thought it as good? me and everyone I saw it with thought it was incredibly crappy

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe! I thought this topic was about Alan Parsons Project's album 'I Robot'. Which I recommend to some of you.

I only saw the trailer and wasn't impressed. I'll check some more comments of fellow SP'ers before I watch this movie.

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've not heard of this at all...
    I really should watch more TV - some people please let me know what it's all about, or link me to a movie review. (don't be overly spoilish though, in case I decide I want to see it)
    :borg:

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I may be totally off here but what I saw of the trailer it seems to be about robots going berserk while all of Asimov's work is about how robots wont go berserk no matter what. It could of course be an illusive trailer but there were some pretty violent robots in the trailer. This of course might make a decent movie but goes against everything Asimov stood for.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You'd have to see the movie, Jaoquin. They don't go "berserk," per se. It's a pretty smart plot idea to why they turn on the humans. I thought it was good, anyway - apparantly I may be alone in this thread.

8. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

***Spoiler***********

They turned on the humans to protect them....pretty much they stopped them from hurting each other by wars...etc

9. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I noticed an interesting thing in the credits. The movie was "suggested" by the works from Asimov.

I liked the movie and would give it 3 out of 5 stars.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I've read a fair number of the Asimov stories, though not all, and his central thesis seemed to be that despite the fact that the theory of the three laws of robotics should insure human safety, there's ALWAYS a glitch in the system, or as Asimov showed, several glitches. Some robots would prevent humans from engaging in dangerous work because the human MIGHT get injured, some robots decided to take over so as to prevent a human from ever being hurt, using the first law to permanently overrule the second, and in one meorable story, a freak robot who had telepathy lied like a cheap rug to avoid causing emotional pain to the humans around him, which caused all sorts of havoc. While I doubt the movie will come close to Asimov's skill as a writer, I still plan on seeing it. Rented. About 3 years from now when it's cheap.

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Just saw it tonight. Thought it was really good.

*SNEEZE* Aw. Sorry. I'm allergic to bull****.

12. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

That is probably the funniest part of the movie Mystra ;)

13. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Will Smith saving the world perhaps ???

Where have I seen THAT before?

14. Leppi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Judging from the trailers I have seen for it, the movie looks like it will be cinimatic equivilent of digging up Asimov's corpse and doing unspeakable things to it. :flaming: :flaming:

Asimov's basic theory was that if robots ever curcumvented the laws of robotics, humanity would be destroyed. :wave: Bye-bye!

End of story, robots would simply and elegently eliminate us all.

But of course that isnt nearly as exciting as them running around like teenagers on a suger high. :rolleyes:

15. Iago Gems: 24/31

Ignorance is bliss. I've never read something of Asimov, so I was able to enjoy the movie without having the book-knowledge and the only true interpretation demon lurking constantly behind me. If it differs from Asimov's book, I don't know, I don't care. But I enjoyed that movie, except the product placement was a little bit over-done. I particularly enjoyed Bridget Moynahan as dumbest smart person.

16. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "I, Robot" is a collection of short stories by Asimov. The movie is loosely based on one of those stories. I am a fan of Asimov & Will Smith. I intend to see the movie. Friends that have seen it recommend it. If you've read Asimov's story just forget about it and enjoy the movie.

17. nior Gems: 24/31

It was entertaining.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.