1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Iceland and Fuel Cells

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Feb 13, 2006.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    [​IMG] Will Fuel Cells Make Iceland the 'Kuwait of the North?'
    Any thoughts on this? Last I heard, Iceland was planning on making all gov't vehicles hydrogen powered by the end of the year and was concidering legislation to convert all private vehicles to hydrogen by 2015, but I heard it on a radio news broadcast and can't find a link to that. Any thoughts?

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If this is going to be true, then great. My concern, as a layman who has heard this from elsewhere, has to do with what is considered the fundamental stumbling block to the whole idea. The problem is you need to invest energy to break hydrogen ions apart from stable compounds in order to kickstart the process. The article alluded to an abundance of hydroenergy, but its relationship to the problem I identified wasn't explained. Are there any chemists here who have any insight to offer?

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd think the relation is simply that while, yes, it does take as much energy to create the hydrogen for the cell as the cell puts out, but if the energy is coming from water rather than fossile fuels (coal, oil), that overcomes the real stumbling block. After all, hydropower is renewable and clean, while fossil fuels is not. Even if there's no net gain to the energy efficiency of the vehicles, there is a net reduction of the environmental impact of the vehicles. And, after all, wasn't that part of the point of fuel cells?

I hope that's clear, though I doubt it ;)

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Think of the fuel cells as more like a rechargable battery than fuel. You invest energy into the cells by breaking water into hydrogen and oxygen. This is already done in many industries that need those two in pure forms. This can be done in a plant powered by any kind of electrical power source. The hydrogen and oxygen are then pumped into your fuel cell seperately, and you get power by re-combining them. From what I've heard, the milage is about 3 times that of gas, but it currently costs 3 times as much to buy, and that's in Iceland. For them, it ends up breaking even, with the bonus of not needing to fill up as much, but how much does that same fuel cost in America, or France, or China? The process may need to be made cheaper before you see this outside of pure water rich nations.

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Somehow, everytime something like this comes up, ends it in nothing. Big cars companies had started similar projects long time ago but always end in a demostration at some car show; the problem is always the same: big petrol companies/countries. Imagine all the changes we have to have to achieve such improvement. So, if one day we don't need anymore fossile fuels, how Esso, Shell, OLP, etc., will survive?

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Yea, but Iceland is in a great position to actually do it. Abundant natural energy, little natural oil, water everywhere, and small enough to not hurt the big companies. Not to mention they have big pollution problems.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I sure hope fuel cells come around... we need to start conserving for the future (fossil fuels, that is).

My question: Isn't there an even better way, that gives more energy than it uses in cost?
    For example: A turbine in the car gets pushed by the wind of the moving car. That kinetic energy is stored in a battery. At 30mph, the battery turns the turbine on, which starts spinning, creates the energy to keep itself running, as well as energy for other battery functions a regular car needs. The turbine also acts like a regular turbine, pushing air out the back (creating thrust), and pushes the car that way.

For the first 30mph, obviously, another system needs to be devised. Perhaps a hybrid, hydrogen-turbine system.

Note: I created this idea (or, at least, I think I did. I didn't look about it online first, or anything), and I assume there are problems with it. I know this is sort of different than hydrogen-fuelcells, but it does have to do with energy...

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whoa. I presume you're a youngster Saber? Wait for your highschool physics class; you'll get a chuckle out of that post when you do, so save it ;)

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

:doh:

Sorry BTA, I am 16. No physics yet. I don't see what would be a problem... weight? Energy needed to start the turbine? The force isn't great enough, or far too great?

Please, enlighten me :)

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, you surely have heard that a so-called perpetual motion machine is impossible right? Well, basically what you've described is exponentially more impossible; you're using far more energy (enough thrust to push the car including the turbine blades against a 30mph wall of air, plus energy to run the car's electrical systems, not to mention all the frictional forces of the system and losses due to various energy conversions) than is being put into the system (air pressure on the turbine blades).

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think you'd get anywhere near enough power to move a car out of a system like that, even if all the car systems were ultra-efficient and adjusted (which is another SF dream at this point)...

Oops... hey BTA :D :wave:

12. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    And those pollution problems mean that the net energy situation remaining unchanged is just fine so long as the pollution problems are addressed--and using renewable hydropower to provide the necessary energy for the production of the fuel for the cells would most definitely address those problems.

...wow, that's a really long sentence.

13. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    The problem with Sabers post is something called Conservation of Energy. What you're describing would mean creating energy, which would be great if we could, but its impossible. Energy into a system minus energy out of a system equals energy stored in the system.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.