1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale novel

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Khazraj, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How similar or not is Salvatore's Icewind Dale books' story to IWD? Are the places similar? Events related?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No, they are not. The Salvatore books are about Drizzt travel to the north not about the game.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The IWD books encompass a wider area than the game... But yes, some of the places appear both in the game and expansion and in the novels. The Ten Towns especially. You don't get to see all of them in the game, but some. Events are mostly not related though. Different timelines.

[ March 15, 2003, 12:01: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The Crystal shard is Crenshinibon which Belhifet's got in Icewind Dale :)

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, the game is set like 100 years before the Icewind books. And from what I understand (I've only read like a couple of pages of the trilogy, and decided I didn't like it), Belifhet is in the trilogy somewhere. Because he says he "languishes for a period of 100 years", and IwD is set 100 years before the books.

And the crystal is in there, somewhere, too.

I mean, I'm not calling it an awesome story or anything. But everything that I've scanned over the years fits it in fairly well to the Salvatore books and storyline. I have yet to see anything that makes me even remotely think they were smoking crack cocaine when they figured out the story and plot of Icewind Dale1. I give it two thumbs up, even in the Vale of Shadows, and all the running back and forth.

I should probably look up a plot summary, one of these days, on the novels...

6. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I have to say that I have read all of Salvatore's books, and besdes the city you start out in most of the places in the game are not in his books. Also, the storyline has nothing to do with his books.

7. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IIRC, the demon in Salvatore's books is Errtu. He is a balor that Drizzt and Guenhwyvar banish for a 100 years (thanks to his newly-acquired scimitar of frost).

I really enjoyed that trilogy. Like the game, the novel has a lot of hack and slash in it. Salvatore seems to really flourish at writing combat scenes.

I think I read somewhere that the game takes place about 80 years before Drizzt came to the surface.

8. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

@ Quicksilver: His scimitar of frost is called Icingdeath, hence where I get my name.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.