1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Game Freezing

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Asmodeus, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I don´t know whether it´s one of IWD´s extra features, thereby adding a little chill factor to the game ;) , but the game frequently ´freezes´, causing sometimes the whole system to freeze. (how applicable to the game isn´t it)
    This happens at variable locations and actions. I do have HOW installed as well as Trails of the Luremaster on win 98. I have the latest drivers for my geforce2 videocard and I only have this problem during IWD not with BG or BGII.
    Anybody out there with suggestions ?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Playing on resolutions above 800*600 can cause problems, and so you are told if you choose to unlock the higher resolutions.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  4. Thalantyr Guest

[​IMG] You need the patch even when you have Trails installed?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well obviously. Trials isn't a patch. But you need to patch HoW before installing ToTL, so that might be a problem...

6. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

MMmmm, when you install Trails of the Luremaster, it automatically installs HOWpatch v1.42, that´s one version above the one mentioned.
    ( See also http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/how_exp.php )
    At least, that´s what it says during installation, could there be some glitch ?
    And I´m playing the game in 800*600 res, that´s one of the great features in How.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  7. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] No, it must be right if it says so in the installation. There was some talk months ago that it probably won't contain the patch, but it obviously does. (I have ToTL on my HD but haven't installed it yet...)

8. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep, Trial o' the Luremaster is a patch. Or at least, it has a patch in it. Which is the latest patch you can get for IwD/HoW.

Anyways, that lockup issue is scrood. I've played all different configs, on my laptop and desktop, and never had IwD lockup once. But, I am using Win2k on both machines.

I'm going to have to go with either swap file space (IwD likes swap space), or vid/mainboard drivers. Drivers suck if you're using AMD, because ntel makes the standards for all the components.

9. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

That might indeed be a problem since i´m using AMD Athlon.
    I could try to experiment with the swap file space mentioned by ejsmith as well trying to download the latest mainboard drivers.
    I will let you know if things work out.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Asmodeus: I have an Athlon and Asus a7v133 and GF2 Ultra. My mainboard doesn't like the new 4.36 4n1 drivers; I'm lucky to get 12hours uptime before it locks up. I think my card does ok with the 23.11 detonators, because I have all the 'extra' options cranked up and IwD cranks hard.

You might try the 4.32 drivers, and the 16-21 detonator drivers if you have a Nvidia. Then, one by one, up each until you're unstable.

11. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

12. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

Ejsmith, the strange thing is that the system only freezes while playing IWD. (By that I mean more frequently than other Win 9.x situations :lol: )
    And i'm using my PC for a lot of other things (Such as BGI, BGII, ToB ;) )
    But I've updated my mainboard, Transcend AKT4/a and I've been playing IWD for 8 hours straight, no technical freezes (If you know what I mean)
    Thanks again for all the help.

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited December 23, 2001).]

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Asmodeus: I'm glad it's working for you.

Just like the ump says: "Play the game, kid."

14. jesper898 Guest

i think you should uninstall and reinstall

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.