1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IE games and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Uytuun, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Simple (quite probably stupid) question:

Do all IE games run in windows XP? I'd hate to find out I have a kick-ass new system that can't run my favourite games.

[ August 16, 2004, 17:07: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They better, since I just ordered a new system.

Actually, Windows XP definitely runs BG2 (based on threads in the ToB forum), so I would assume it runs others as well.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I'm still able to play X-Com UFO: Defense on Win XP, and that came out in 1994!!! So I doubt you'd have trouble with any of the BG/IWD games...

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

all I tried runs in XP or else there is always the compatible mode, so you haven't wasted your money. I think XP is the best windows ever, it actually works ;) ...well 3.1 worked to

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

As Equester said, there is an option in windows that let's it treat program the way earlier versions did... if you need detailed info on how that works please PM me and I'll give you a step-by-step walkthrough of the entire process.
    :borg:

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

They run. There is only one problem with BG2/ToB but it is solved by the latest patch, so don't forget to install it.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I have yet to find any game made after about 95 or so that won't run on my XP Pro system. I've never used compatibility mode.

All the IE games run fine on it.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I had to use Compatible mode on Fallout 1. without it said I needed 20 mb more free ram to run this game ( I had 80 GB free ram ad that time :) )

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Ok, thankies everyone. :)

10. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Rastor, you've had better luck then me for running older games. Daggerfall, Grand Prix Legends and International Cricket Captain Ashes Edition all haven't run to well for me on XP. Thankfully I also still have 98.

11. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

L what is the problem with the games, how exactly aren't they running well?

12. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Daggerfall is a weird case because it's actually a DOS game. Playing it under a true Win95/99/ME system can be a hassle because you have to manually tweak certain system variables (like forcing Windows to treat long file names differently under the DOS shell). So I'm not surprised that you have trouble making it work under XP - it barely limped along with the earlier Wins.

But Morrowind plays just fine!

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

???

Yes. Of course the Infinity Engine games all play well under XP. They play well under Win2k. Even Planescape works under both OS's, although you might have to "trick" it into installing, depending on the version you have.

For all you retros who, for reasons unknown, decended upon this thread:

There's the Application Compatibility Toolkit, which came out shortly after Win2k was released. Version 2.0 in it's original "official" incarnation for Win2k. It's built into XP, natively, with an upgrade to 2.5 (which is ONLY for XP). Both service packs have expanded on it's list of known executables, which is why so many of the older games work out of the box.

Fallout 1 and 2 both need a config line that read something like "diskfreespace=0", and Xcom1 works a little too well. I had to crank the screen-scroll option all the way down, and even then I had to use the keyboard most of the time for "fine control". I remember on a Pentium2 where I had to crank it up from default.

NTcompatible has a whole slew of tricks available to get the majority of your games to work. Some absolutely have to have Dosbox/VMware/WineX, but others can be tweaked and coddled to run. Still others have been PORTED. Scumm engine games have their own emulator available, and work most outstanding. Starcontrol2 has been updated, with the 3DO music and graphics mixed into the PC configuration.

If you have an old game, whether it's Mechwarrior2: Mercenaries, Xcom1, Master of Orion1, Tomb Raider1, Mechwarrior1, Battletech1, Prince of Persia1, or Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter:

It is most likely playable, in some form or another. You will have to seriously hunt (in hellish gopher repositories where Mother Teresa would not have ventured) to find something that hasn't been ported, emulated, translated, updated, or converted.

14. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Equester, if you can get to get to the initial menu on GPL you've done better than I ever managed using XP. I didn't fare much better with Daggerfall either.

Not sure about ICC actually, I was positive I'd got it running earlier, but not recently when it kept hanging all the time. Perhaps a new driver there.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.