1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If gandalf and elminster fight....

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Fat Egg, Oct 9, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If Gandalf and Elminster were to battle, who would win? Name your reasons, and what spells they might use, plus anything else you want to say.

I think It'd be Elminster because he has more destructive and fighting type magiks, such as fireballs, lightning attacks, death magiks, etc. While Gandalf has more illusionary and summoning magik. Although Gandalf is cooler and I like him more, I think elminster would triumph. Gandalf could use shields, invisibility, and he could summon many different creatures.

2. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] yeah Eggman, good topic.

i dont know too much about Elminster, but i am pretty sure he is mortal, therefore he can die. on the other hand, Gandalf is a Maia or a spirit who can't die. i am sure we all remember the battle he had with the Balrog on the bridge in the Moria mines. after that battle, Gandalf the Grey returned as Gandalf the White.

what good can offensive spells do against an opponent that is immortal. Elminster might last a while, but in the end i think Gandalf would prevail, slicing through Elminster with Glamdring as if he were warm butter.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Where'd you read that Gandalf was a Maia? I know my Tolkien quite well but I've never heard of this before.
    Neither have I seen it mentioned in any of the books. And there are only a few I haven't read, so I'm really curious...

4. Wingfoot Guest

i got that from the Silmarillion. Gandalf was know as Olorin in an earlier time which he mentions to Frodo in LOTR. so i looked up the name Olorin in the Simarillion's "index of names" and this is what i got: "a Maia,
    one of the Istari, see Mithrandir, Gandalf.."
    i wouldn't post on a topic like this with out doing my homework first.

Taluntain you got off topic there, what do you think of The Fat Egg's topic?

[This message has been edited by Wingfoot (edited October 09, 2000).]

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

[​IMG] Wingfoot, once again you best me in your knowledge, kudos. You are completely correct! I stand corrected. I feel such shame *sob, *sob*, just kidding, but good job in finding that!

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Well, Gandalf is immortal, and i don't think he has a limited number of spell slots ;) so unless it was fought with only so many spells each day Elminster would be toast i think. But doesn't anyone think that Elminster is becoming overused in the Realms setting just now? Lately I've seen Elminster here there and everywhere in relation to D&D.

7. Wingfoot Guest

well Egg, i might know quite a bit about Tolkien, but this knowledge wont get me a job that pays 300,000 dollar a year; which is a present goal of mine. you seem to know quite a bit about PCs from what i have seen on these forums, and knowledge of that sort will get you a fine paying job.

BTW, when is your site going to be up? i am eagerly waiting to see what the EGGMAN's site will be all about.

8. I would like to point out that there's a difference between immortal, as in "god or similar status, can change reality as they see fit" and immortal, as in "cannot die due to old age, disease, etc.".

The second type of immortality is usually bestowed upon elves and other races in fantasy stories. Just because they don't die of natural causes, that doesn't mean they aren't suseptible to a dagger between the ribs...

Even if Gandalf is the first type of immortal, gods themselves may die. Especially since Elminster has magics to go toolin' about the planar dimensions with no harm to himself. He could be wicked with his extremely high level spells... Gandalf, conversely, fell off a bridge and came back, and you think that's impressive? Any mage in the Realms could cast a featherfall upon themselves and float gently to the ground. If nothing else, Gandalf might have cushioned himself with the Balrog's body.

So, Although I like Gandalf more, I really have to question whether he could win a magical duel with Elminster (whch is a STUPID name, Ed!).

Also, Gandalf may be an immortal mist, but Elminster is a chosen of Mystara (or whatever her name is), so I would think El has a pretty good lock on the immortality bit himself. After all, he is over 500 years old...

[This message has been edited by Lord Balduran (edited October 10, 2000).]

9. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Yes Gandalf would win, 'cos he doesn't have a finite number of spell slots to memorise per day ;).

10. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What type of spells would Gandalf cast anyhow? At least in AD&D, you know the spells from the handbooks and the like, but Gandalf? In LotR, they described spell effects, but does anyone know the names of those said spells he was casting, the duration, the damage, the effects?

Syl...

11. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Didn't Gandalf say something along the lines of "I have walked down roads that I shall not name." or something like that? I kinda got the impression that Gandalf died and went to hell, then came back to redeem himself. Maybe he was just in Purgatory (JRRT was Catholic you know).

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorry for the delay Wingfoot. Couldn't reply sooner. :p

I have no idea how you can possibly compare the two mages. One has completely nothing to do with d&d, was made up 80 years before d&d even existed and doesn't follow any rules or guidelines that apply in d&d.

Gandalf was an expert swordsman beside being the best mage in Middle-Earth, a good hint for you that comparing him with Elminster, which has been uplifted to the God-like status is very silly. Plus, none of the spells Gandalf used (and there was very little detail about any of them) could be equal to Elminster's.

Elm follows the d&d rules (more or less) where the amount of damage, range etc. is detailed to the inch.
    Gandalf's importance therefor wasn't in his spell-casting ability but in wisdom (yes, wisdom, not that intel for mages d&d sort of thing), which he accumulated over the years.
    That's my take on this topic.

13. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Yea, I had the impression that Gandalf has more of divination magics, could see the future, etc.

Most of his role seems to be giving advice and planning tactics.

And his magic is arcane in the extreme, not like in AD & D where you know the casting time and range etc.

14. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

I agree, AD&D aand ME have different magiks so its hard to compare. How about Sarauman the White against Gandalf? Definetly Sarauman, he's the leader of Gandalf's order, and he is older, wiser, and most likely more powerful.

15. hooligan_inc Guest

Now Sauruman vs gandalf would be a great big arseburger of a fight.

16. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] The result of such a fight is obvious, Saruman would get his wimpy ass whooped. His mighty fortress was beaten by a bunch of Treants. He was a decaying relic who faded into nothing, not even close to being a match for Gandalf. Gandalf's magic is totaly different to Elminster in that Gandalf doesn't have to memorize from a spellbook. Rather he can use whatever spell he wants, whenever he wants.

17. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually when Gandalf fights Elminster, i reckon Gandalf will win...as Gandalf used a flash spell that killed loads of goblins when he took Bilbo to the cave in The Hobbit

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Actually those were orcs, not goblins and he only cast one lightning bolt. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 26, 2000).]

19. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gandalf's magic system is like a battery. Some of his spells use more energy than others. He will be exhausted after a few high power spells but he could do the same amount of magic missle and not be affected. When his power supply is drained he is useless until he has time to recharge his batteries.(That was just a theory) Have any of you read R.E.Feists books? I think that Pug could kick both Gandalf and Elminster working together.

20. Boon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I would put my money on Gandalf as he is out of the two wiser. Gandalf saw is mission as one of advicer and guide, he seems to have avoided position of leadership and displays of magic in case it lead to temptation, remember how he refused the One ring which he had the power to master. Besides lets face it Elminster is a third rate imitation of Gandalf that should be killed off.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.