1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ignorant of DVD burning

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by dmc, Jul 1, 2006.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So I have this spiffy digital camcorder (Sony, DCR-HC90, with bells and whistles) to which I take hours of film and download with the enclosed software to my computer. Lo and behold, the enclosed software (Picture Package) does not recognize my SONY (!!!!) DVD +/- R dual layer, double layer drive (DRU-810A). Love that third party outsourcing for the software.

I dig a little further and note that, even if the software did deign to recognize my flippin' SONY drive, the best I can do is burn something called a video-CD, which, to my relatively unsophisticated mind, is suspiciously different from, say, a DVD.

Some more digging seems to lead me to the conclusion that I need to buy some stuff if I ever want to hope to have the ability to decently edit my movies (Windows Movie Maker seems a bit, ah, weak) and burn them to a DVD that I could send to my folks to play on their DVD player attached to their TV.

So I say to myself ("self, you're a fool for not doing the research, say, BEFORE you spend the bucks on the hardware"), don't make the same mistake twice. Thus, I ask the learned members of this board -- any of y'all have a clue as to what I need to decently edit my stuff and then burn it to DVDs so that someone without a computer can watch it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I know I'm a bonehead, so no need to rub that part in.

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Your suspicion is correct, a video CD is not a DVD, but a CD. Most DVD drives will still play it, but its capacity and the quality of the video are far below a DVD (for obvious reasons - being a CD means it can only store 700Mb).

I have no idea how Picture Package works, but if there is some way you can get it to write the output to an image file, rather than directly to the DVD drive, your problem is solved. What you would be looking for is something in the software that allows you to choose which drive you want to use to write. If you get something like "image" or "ISO" or anything other than the Sony drive, you can then create an image of the DVD (a file on your hard drive that is an exact replica of what the DVD would be), and any DVD burning software (Nero, Roxio, Alcohol, etc) can then burn that image into a proper DVD.

Failing that, I'm not very knowledgeable about video editing software. Final Cut Pro is the most famous one, but it's made by Apple, and I'm not sure it's ported to Windows. Combustion (Autodesk) is a very professional software, and as such is not easy to use (not to mention it costs a small fortune). Aside from these two I've got not idea.

Sorry.

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hmm. Whenever I get anything done right with DVDs etc it is all happenstance.

But where's Kitrax the All-Knowing?

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Huh? Someone rang?

Sorry dmc, DVD video capture and editing is not my specialty.

IMO, at this point in time, anything Sony is trash...save for their lcd/plasma TVs. See if you can take it back for a full refund or at least exchange it for a better brand that comes with software that actually *works*. :thumb:

Failing that, IIRC, Nero Burning Rom does a good job of buring pretty much anything. Hop on over to download.com and search for DVD editing tools. I'm not sure, but the newest version of Nero lets you edit DVDs as well... You just can't go wrong with Nero. :thumb: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.