1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

In need of 411 on PS:T

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Frog, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ok I'm new to this Planescape stuff. It seems anything other than the material plane freaks me out.

I just have some questions:

1)Is Planescape: Torment an acceptional RPG to have. (Of BG/Fallout Calibur)

2)What plane are you actually on? (Just curious, its killing me!)

3)Lady of Pain? Can she be touched? Is she some kind of deity? Or is she of flesh and blood? Can I romance her? Get her number? A little bit of pain is ok by me.

4)Where can I get this game? I can't find it anywhere!

5)What rules does the game use?

6)How do you rate it?

2. Deth Guest

[​IMG] PS:T is in my mind a good CRPG

Sigil-The plane of portals to other planes.

The only time I saw the Lady of Pain was when she imprisoned me. So we didn't talk much.

To find the game, try www.half.com (if you have an ebay account, that will work there). I got mine at a used software store.

As far as I know D&D rules.

I liked it.

Any help? Probably not, but then what ever does?:nono:

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] 1. You mean exceptional? Yes, the best of the bunch for many of us.

2. The Planescape "multiverse" is the setting for the game - but setting is actually a misnomer... the Planescape multiverse is actually composed of a series of "planes" (other dimensions) that rotate around a central city, Sigil, like spokes on a wheel. The city of Sigil is the central fixture of the Planescape multiverse. Also called the "Cage" or the "City of Doors", it's unique in that scattered throughout its labyrinth of streets are portals (some hidden, some obvious) that lead to anywhere in existence, provided you hold the proper key. It is neutral ground and watering hole for races and creatures from across the multiverse, all under the watchful eye of the Lady of Pain, the enigmatic ruler of the city.

The world of Planescape is a more adult, hard-core fantasy setting compared to other AD&D worlds. The architecture, the people, the creatures -- everything has an edge to it. Belief, emotions, faith, and other abstract concepts actually make their presence felt in reality. In the Planescape multiverse, belief has the power to reshape worlds, kill and resurrect beings, and change the laws of physics.

3. She cannot be touched. Yes, she is "some sort of deity", exactly. Though no one knows for sure. You can get killed or mazed by her, if that answers your question.

4. You can and must get it from SP. It is your duty to support SP! Hehe, well, if you want to: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/index.php

It gives me a couple of percents and helps me keep the site running. Besides, SP is the best resource for this game on the net.

5. 2nd edition D&D rules with some exceptions that feel like 3e.

6. 10/10. Read http://www.sorcerers.net/Main/Articles/torment.php

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Thanks for the straightforward enlightenment. I wasn't expecting such comprehensive answers. I don't know what else to say other than I want this game!

5. Deth Guest

I guess that some think I'm pretty stupid. And I must be not to think about getting PS:T thru here. Sorry:bigeyes:

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Just wanted to add that Sigil is in the Center of the only neutral plane on "the Great Wheel" of planes, The Outlands. And is therefore in some way the Center of the Multiverse...

7. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I tried out PS:T and liked it but dropped it for some other games that gave more instant gratification. I should get back to it, though. The game is really artful, wonderful to look at and you can run! The dialogue is cool and the story is unique. But, it doesn't give the instant gratification, its a real connoiseur's game.

8. Frog Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Seems like everytime I die, I start back on the rack and have to escape which always results in one Dustie getting his head snapped. There must be a pile of them by now.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The place you'll appear depends on area you're currently on. You are obviously still in Hive. Wait till you reach Burried Village - there you're transported in a certain house.

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"it doesn't give the instant gratification"

Had to think about that one for a minute. Yeah, you're fairly right. There's a whole bunch of quests, which aren't exactly side quests, but aren't exactly *essential* to the game.

To top it off, there's almost a little discontinuity in the story line; but not so much as to cause problems with figuring out a quest.

PsT is still an awesome game.

11. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Them be fightin' words!

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

What discontinuity? I didn't find any in the main story line in any of my times through?

Anyway, yes, this is the best of all the games that use the Infinity engine, and has better character development than any game that I have ever seen.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"What discontinuity"

This is a really delicate topic, so I'm going to be brief. The timeline where the Uro professor is killed, the records being burned in the advocate's place, and Dionerra's death/abandonment are a little wobbly.

But it's still a good game!

14. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

Aelwyn tells you she saw (and killed) what was obviously the Paranoid Incarnation about 50 years ago. Which is also when Fin the Linguist said his father was killed (by the Paranoid, as later you find out). So the Uyo teacher thing makes complete sense.
    Now the Deionarra thing could go either way. It's true most objects from the Practical Incarnation say they are centuries old and stuff, but that doesn't mean that's when he died. He could have lived long after that. Remember Hamrys was alive when the Practical killed his father. So the Practical was probably right before the Paranoid, and the Paranoid did not live very long. The Practical was probably alive up until just over 50 years ago.
    So imagine Iannis was 20 when Deionarra was born and Deionarra was 20 when the Practical killed her, then add the 50-55 years since then (they both died in the Fortress). That would make Iannis about 90-95. Completely plausable, especially in the Planescape setting. Iannis might even be part Elven, you never know.
    The only thing that doesn't really make sense is when Iannis talks about all this happening recently, including the fire. That's definitely not right.

[This message has been edited by Platter (edited July 17, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.