1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Industrial Metal recommendations

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Disciple of The Watch, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

My recent lack of interest for DM/BM made me want to try something different, and one gal I know is into Industrial, and while she is more into Industrial than Metal, she lended me a Ministry albums. Pretty good stuff, actually. I admit I was very skeptical at first, but DAMN, "The Land of Rape and Honey" has absolutely destroyed my expectations.

I'm looking to broaden my horizons a little more in the field of Industrial Metal, so if anyone has some solid suggestions, I'm all up for it.

And I haven't turned away from DM/BM... it's just that it does not reflect my current state of mind.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Only band I really listen to regularly that fits the genre is Static-X, not sure if it's up your street but can't hurt to check them out, they hav a fair few music videos online.

I also listen to the likes of Genitorturers, some Mushroomhead and a little Nine Inch Nails, I don't like half their stuff though, they're a very 'pick and choose' band I've found.

I can try and get hold of some decent videos or tracks if you want.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Try Shotgun Messiah. I used to listen to this band a lot while driving until I realized I was speeding a little more than necessary. I feel like listening to violent new breed just now.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tend to use Stainless 316 if it's going to be around sea water. Stainless 304 for mot exterior applications. Cold rolled steel is good for interior. Monel and inconel for extremely harsh environments where corrosion cannot be tolerated (nuclear power plants).

I guess you were talking about a different kind of industrial metal.

5. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Marylin Manson had kind of a Black Sabbath meets Nine Inch Nails type of feel. It's worth checking out. I second the recommendations of Static X, Ministry and Nine Inch Nails.

Also kind of obscure, but I have an album from a band called Angry White Mob that's pretty good. My Life With the Thrill Kill Cult had a good album in the Early 90's too.

I listened to quite a bit of Industrial back in my drug days...

6. Disciple of The Watch

Yuh, peeps, Static is right up my alley -- Wisconsin Death Trip, Shadow Zone, Monster... I also liked the cover of Ministry's "Burning Inside" Static did with some guy from another band like Static, anyway it was pretty cool.

I've also heard a tidbit about Genitorturers, new home of David Vincent, ex-Morbid Angel. Rather unusual place for a death metal bassist to end, I've heard, but then again, it makes sense when you think his wife is also part of the said band.

Mushroomhead... supposed Slipknot clones. True?

As for NIN... damn, I had TOTALLY forgotten about them.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] It's obvious Mushroomhead looked at Slipknot and went "Hey guys, that looks pretty cool" :xx: but I've not heard enough Slipknot to make a decent comparison really. They both aim at the same audience, Mushroomhead seems a little more... melodic to me.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hm, I guess you could try a bit of Rammstein since it might fall nicely into industrial metal. (Don't know if it counts, but they've got cool music videos, here's a couple of samples:

Du Hast

Ich Will

then there's this oldie from the 80's or so, kmfdm, but I'm not that impressed about it. Make your own judgement though.

I've always liked Ministry's Psalm 69, it's at least a few chuckles worth.

NIN's good, go for it :thumb:, especially the older stuff.

Not much anything else comes into mind right now, but I'll update some recommendations when I'll get at least some half decent stuff in my hands.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Fear Factory.

Also, Mushroomhead are musically much more diverse (i.e. better) than Slipknot.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Skinny Puppy anyone?

Filter

Then there's some industrial dance acts which comes close: Haujobb, Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Frontline Assembley, Die Krupps and last but not least And One.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've no idea what industrial metal actually refers to, and I have to say that this topic isn't making things any clearer for me. For instance, saying Front 242 is making any kind of metal must be stretching the definition of metal rather uncomfortably, but whatever.

KMFDM is nice, but it's a bit pick and choose between 'meh' and 'good stuff'.
    Rammstein (is this industrial metal?) is very good, as is Fear Factory.
    I've been told that Disturbed makes industrial metal as well, and they have some really good songs, especially among the older stuff.
    I've not heard many songs of them, but from what I've heard I'd say Deathstars is pretty good too.
    If you're trying to broaden your horizon, Chimaira might be interesting as well. I think it's grouped under the trash metal header, but it sounds very good nonetheless. And this is coming from someone that prefers DM and BM as well.

At least these definitions make sense. I was not aware you were such a metal connoisseur, T2B.

12. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Yep, Ramsstetin is often classified as an industrial-metal band, although that classification fits better to their older material...

13. Disciple of The Watch

Awright, so I got Ministry's "A Mind is A Terrible Thing To Taste", which appearantly is a fine follower to the excellent "The Land of Rape and Honey".

On the Fear Factory side, I've got "Soul of A New Machine" and "Obsolete", good stuff, though it stands more on the metal side than on the Industrial side... so far, so good, though.

I have yet to find anything that sounds like Ministry's "The Land of Rape and Honey"... I mean, just listen to tracks like "Stigmata", "The Missing", "I Prefer" (SICK intro!) or the classic "The Land of Rape and Honey". That's what I'm after.

14. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Try Treponem Pal. I don't like industrial but I remember that their albums got very good reviews in early '90s.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  15. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

My favourite of their albums is Reise Reise. From that album, I like Reise Reise, Mein Teil, Keine Lust, and Moskau. Rosenrot is also pretty good, Benzin, Rosenrot, Ohne Dich and Stirb Nicht Vor Mir are all awesome songs.

Some of their older stuff, like Du Riecht So Gud (spelling probably way off) are also cool. Du Hast is a good classic. And Mein Hertz Brent of course.

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    A bit of thread necromancy, but since nobody's mentioned this yet, I'd like to recommend Pigface.

Should be solid enough, the guys at Ministry whipped it on at the time of the Mind Is A Terrible Thing to Taste -tour...

Check it out.

17. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Damn, most of the Industrial stuff I like has already been mentionned!

I used to follow Nine Inch Nails almost religously, but I stopped around the And all that could have been period. But if you're interested, I can sure help you out with older NIN.

Skinny Puppy, Front 242, Frontline assembly are excellent bands, although more electronic than say Rammstein.

I'm also a fan of Ministry, and I though Psalm 69 was enjoyable. I especially like Jesus built my Hotrod... :)

There's also White Zombie that could partly fall into the industrial category. The Astro Creep 2000 album is very good! Meat Beat Manifesto is another good band. I also heard good things from Pigface and Coil but I have bnever heard the music.

18. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Yeah, Jesus Built My Hotrod is a classic, heh... :D

19. Disciple of The Watch

Not sure what to think of Pigface yet. Maybe, like Ministry, it needs some time to sink in.

My all-time fave Ministry track is a tie between N.W.O, Thieves, The Land of Rape and Honey and Stigmata. All impressive in their own rights.

20. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, I really like Theives too. It's a great song.

Is it just me, or is there some kind of hommage to the Doors? He says at one point "Is everybody in? the ceremony is about the begin" which is a famous line off of Morrison's solo/poem album. And the melody of the chorus reminds me of the chorus of the Soft Parade song...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.