1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Installing patches correctly

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Aerie's Number One Fan, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    How can you install the patches correctly ? I've tried installing the patch for version 1.5 a couple of times now, but it never works, and I'm still stuck with 1.3. What could be going wrong ?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    For starters, do you have both the game and the expansion?

3. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I only have IWD. I don't need the expansion for these patches.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Considering you were going on about patch numbers which don't exist and multiple patches it was anyone's guess what you were talking about.

There is only one patch for the non-expansion IWD that you need to apply (unless your game crashes in Lower Dorn's, for which there is another specific patch). The patch is "Official Icewind Dale Patch v1.06" at http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/IWD/index_misc.php

If you bought IWD in a pack with the expansion and IWD2, however, the game is probably already patched. In which case you shouldn't install the patch.

5. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I don't see how anyone with a brain would be unable to work out that my problem was the patches were not installing correctly.

And that is one of the patches I've tried to install.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] On the subject of people with brains, you're obviously lacking in that department when a) you can't install a single (one) required patch, as I outlined, and b) insult the first person who helps you.

And what you mean by "patches were not installing correctly" is again anyone's guess. But I guess I'm not worthy enough to hear a more detailed explanation, or just too plain stupid to understand what you mean.

7. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    Yeah, the condescending attitude was a real help, so thanks for that.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    The only problem is you started with the condescension ("I don't need the expansion for these patches.") and I actually did try to help you, but with this kind of attitude it really makes me wonder why I bother.

Did you at least get it working now? Luckily I've developed the patience of a rock over the years here and I'm still prepared to help, providing you can the rudeness.

9. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    How was that phrase condescending ?

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] It was condescending because it was your attempt at telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about, where in reality it was just the reverse, as evident by your posts. And if you want to argue this further, take it to PM. My only interest here is in helping you, but if you intend to leave with a flaming trail, be my guest.

11. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If you're playing IWD without the expansions, you need this patch here (it's v1.06 as Tal posted): http://www.gamexperts.com/index.php?patch_id=10

Just double-click on it and follow the instructions, and it should install fine.

What troubles are you having installing it?

12. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I double click on it, follow the instructions, and after rebooting and loading up IWD, it's still the original version.

I dont know what is wrong with the other patches, as I updated SoA in the very same fashion, and that worked fine.

I tried that patch, and it too did not install correctly. I'm doing every as I should, but it just doesn't seem to want to work. I don't know why the IWD patch isn't working, yet the SOA one did. Thanks anyway.

[ February 24, 2005, 01:33: Message edited by: Aerie's Number One Fan ]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] If you messed it up somehow with incorrect patches (because I can't think of any other reason why patching wouldn't work), try uninstalling the game and reinstalling and patching again.

14. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The patch may well have installed correctly...

Look at dialog.tlk or chitin.key in the game folder and check when they were last modified. If it was when you installed the patch, then it worked.

15. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I uninstalled IWD, reinstalled IWD and the patch. Still no luck. Any more helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    And there should be a patch.txt with details in the install folder after a patch is installed.

Edit: So which version exactly does the game say it is? And does patch.txt list 1.06 being installed?

17. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I get the patch.txt file, but the patch isn't installed.

It's the original version of IWD, v1.3 and then a bunch of numbers. I got it when the game first came out.

The .txt file lists 1.06 as being installed, with details of everything that it fixes.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    We're running out of options to check here... When it uninstalled, it might have left the override directories and some files still there... Try uninstalling again and then manually deleting everything left over in the install dir. Then reinstall the game first, look up the exact file size of IDMain.exe, then install the patch and compare the size after the patch's been installed. Both size and date on it should be different after the patch is installed. It could be that just the version is getting displayed wrong, but I've never heard of that happening...

Edit: This would work providing the patch modifies the executable, which I'm pretty sure it does, but if anyone can confirm it, it'd be nice. If it doesn't, copy the original Override directory somewhere and compare the contents before and after patching.

19. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    It now works, so thanks for the advice.

When I check the .exe file, it says File Version: 1.3.0.1, and in the game, when you pause, it says V1.3.062915. I assume it's working now due to my taking out everything IWD related, but I don't know why it would still show it as being the original version of the game. Well, at least the patch works.

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah well, as long as the patch works, that's all that matters. I'm glad you got it working.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.