1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it feasible to install IE games on a slow USB drive?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by SlickRCBD, Jul 3, 2006.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm shopping for an external USB hard drive for my computer. However, this machine is old and as far as I can tell still uses USB 1.1. Would it still be feasible to move the Baldur's Gate (1, & 2) and Icewind Dale (1 & 2) games to the new, larger drive? As far as I can tell, the games would just take a little longer to load the areas when I change screens, just like if I'd done a minimal install, but I could be missing something as the HD indicator light is hard to see on my machine given the location of the computer relative to where I sit. I just thought I'd double check.

Also, would it be recomended with the speed of a USB 1.1 interface to use a full install, or a minimal install? I have a 40x CD-ROM, though most of the time it seems to only want to read at 24X, at least when I'm trying to make a backup of a CD that's what the copy program reports back.

Oh, one final question. When moving Baldur's Gate (either 1 or 2) to the D drive(or whatever letter it winds up being, considering that D is currently my CD-burner), what's the easiest way to do this with all the patches? Do I have to uninstall the game and reinstall it on the D drive, or is there a way to simply copy the folder over there and get it to work?

[ July 03, 2006, 05:36: Message edited by: SlickRCBD ]

2. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Have you considered upgrading to a USB 2.0 card? Its pretty easy to do.

I've been told a lot of programs wont work on an enxternal harddrive. They have to be installed on the drive that your operating system is on. When a program runs, it will also use other files on your harddrive. When you install a program onto a drive, it assumes those files are on that drive and will direct the software to a location it thinks is where the files are at. When it gooes to load those files, it wont find em and the program will crash.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

3. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

When I had an old computer I got free from work I installed BG2 on my mp3 player and ran it off that. Yep, it had slow load times, but it ran in the main game at full speed, and was perfectly playable. Definitely do a full install if you have the room.

The simplest way would be to uninstall then reinstall. Otherwise you'll have to edit registry keys, and that can be painful if you don't know what you're doing.

I do recommend getting a USB 2.0 card, though. They're not very expensive.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.