1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it possible to make new NPCs for PS:T?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by 8people, Oct 28, 2002.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was a-thinking and would like to make an NPC for this game, I have read a few things on the subject though most of them refer to BG or IWd - what I'd like to know is is it possible for this game?

2. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

With all the time I've spent with the game, all the people I've talked to, all the things I've read and what I know myself the only way I can find to make a new NPC is to take a current NPC's 'base' if you will and edit it.

Of course, issues arise with this. Like, for instance, Morte's only weapon is his bite. Fall From Grace can't use any weapons. Dakkon is a mage / fighter. Nordom only uses crossbows etc. There are hundreds of problems with doing this.

I know of a man, can't remember who though (Platter?) that took Dogmeat from the Fallout series are put him into the game, using Morte as a template. Everything would seem to fit, the dog used bite as attack etc but still, it wouldn't work properly.

Basically from what I've seen, heard of and tried myself, it is extremely hard to do as the NPC you are making will have to be directly in proportion to the NPC's template you're using. But then, what's the point of making the new NPC?

Even if you do make it, there's an extremely slim chance you'll have the skills to be able to script it into the game. PS:T is so incredibly hard to change / delete / add to that it's just a dead end for Mods. Damn you Black Isle.

Herf.
    (No doubt Platter and Extremist will come charging in on their valiant steeds to correct me...)

[ October 29, 2002, 22:04: Message edited by: Herf ]

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I do hope so, I know a man in Scotland who made a few from scratch without removing any of the existing PCs - I lost his number and can't get to him again though :(

4. Platter

Platter Can I buy you a tankard or two, lad? Veteran

You can kinda make a new party member without replacing an existing one, but it won't really be very good, won't be fully functional. I have one on my website, "Fhjull the Party Member." It's pretty useless.

It is possible, however, to make one by replacing one of the existing ones (using it's template, as Herf called it).

My Dogmeat NPC is currently being made (I stopped working on it for a long time), and is/will be fully functional. He will replace Ignus, not Morte.
    The hardest part is how much the NPCs are integrated into the game - especially with scripted sequences like how they show up at the Fortress.

[ October 30, 2002, 10:29: Message edited by: Platter ]

5. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

great ideas (dogmeat:)), but admit that all the original npcs are too good for replacing, and you would cut a part from that wonderful story as well

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.