1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Satiana Fearbringer, Oct 2, 2001.

1. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] I have watched people play PnP games, but have never really been involved in one. Not to mention, I would have so much to learn if I did decide to get in to one.

My question is really this. Is it worth it? Playing the computer generated games seems like much more fun. You get to SEE everything happen, in the PnP games you have to rely on imagination and the story telling of others. PnP seems to take up so much more time, and to do it right, you must devote time to it.

Who thinks one is better than the other? Why? And are PnP games really worth playing?

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31

I don't really want to compare. They are really two different aspects of roleplaying games. I enjoy both very much. So for me it's worth devoting time to PnP. And really the BG series also take a lot of time don't they?

The thing you add in PnP is interaction with other people and the fact that with a good DM anything can happen...
    You can also play cardgames or chess. Which do you prefer? With humans or with the computer? I would say that playing with your friends adds another dimension that you don't get in a computer game.

You could also mention another way to roleplay. Hmm, not sure what the english term is really but you dress up in fantasy clothes and act out the game almost like an improvisation theater, perhaps somewhere out in the woods. This third aspect of roleplaying is not my kind of game but some people enjoy that instead.

3. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] If PnP wasn't worth playing, why would tons of people play it for dozens of years already? Seems not that any computer game will give you the same degree of participation even with the most brilliant graphics, sound, and the least limited plot.

You cannot really compare pen&paper with computer games in the aspect of which is better - these are too different, but 'roleplaying' and flexibility are advanced to a much higher level in PnP, than it is in any computer game.

Must devote time? Basics do not take enormous effort to learn, and the rest, methinks, comes in practice. So much more time than computer games? You cannot have good fun without devoting some time to it, can you? :)

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Frankly, I much prefer PnP. I like the flexibility and creativity of a live session. Also, CRPG's lend themselves too much to powergaming as opposed to roleplaying. In PnP, the players have a lot more control over the action; they can change the storyline as the DM is forced to adapt to their actions. It is possible of course for a DM to channel players along just the way a CRPG does, but IMHO that's a second-rate DM. :)

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] I think PnP gaming is much better than CRPGs. As you said the DM is a major factor. A poor DM will make playing PnP less meaningful than a computer game but a great DM can't be touched be any computer game created yet. The creativity and imagination if a good DM can paint such powerful pictures and create situation that excite and entertain to a much greater degree than the computer.

How you ever been playing a CRPGs and said "I wish I could have done X". Well in PnP all you have to do is ask. There are no limits and the game never ends.

6. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

In my opinion too, PnP far exceeds what you can experience in a computer game.

7. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I prefer PnP. You get to roll funny looking dice! :grin: Seriously though, It allows more freedom in terms of roleplaying and frankly, a better stimulus for your creative juices than a CRPG. You get to interact with more substantial party members and recalling my last PnP, won't be limited to six. There are LOTS AND LOTS of spells, monsters, lore, cities, races, classes and kits that the Interplay Games don't feature, Forgotten Realms (BG, SoA, ToB, IWD, HOW) and Planescape: Torment included.

A good DM is important though. He or she doesn't really have to be a fantastic storyteller or have memorized all the rulebooks. In my view, the DM must always be good in preparing the adventure. It kinda gets boring when you catch your DM off-guard and he can't improvise. Heh, happened to me... :grin:

8. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I just started playing PnP after playing many CRPGs. I think they both have strengths. PnP is cool because your with others and your DM can make decisions on the fly to make the adventure better.

On the other hand you can play a CRPG any time you want. This a definite plus.

I would say try PnP. Most likely you'll end up doing both and start to dream DnD because it takes up all you waking hours too.

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I think it all depends upon whom you're playing with, Satiana.

You must have a good DM. And it helps if the people you're playing with are actually interested in role playing instead of just building up a powerful character.

If you have someone with a good imagination, who can think on his feet, then elect him DM. Then make sure that those playing with you are there to have fun, not to achieve some fatuous bragging right. ("I've got an uber-warrior with a stronghold that makes the Fortress of Solitude look like a retirement home. Grunt grunt grunt.")

I had such a gang in college, but, alas, not out here in DC. Their minds have been eaten by Magic: The Crack Party.

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

a CRPG is not the same as a RPG. At the moment all CPRG's miss two things:

1. The DM
    2. the chance to roll play.

With real D&D you have a way other view on your character. When you sit around a table and talk, you ARE that character. And you can talk, telling others what you think, what you want etc. That's a big difference with BG or BG2.... They say something and you can choose between 3 default anwers.... It's very different. Another thing is that you play a CRPG with more characters but you always play alone. No teamwork. You do what you want them to do. In D&D that is impossible. There you want to do something but what do your companions say? D&D is also teamwork, a CRPG isn't.

11. Caleb_Eveningfall Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Though you can't role-play to the extent that you can in PnP you still can chose to be good or evil, smart or studid, polite or nasty and that's more then most games give you.

12. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In computer game, all roleplay you do is done for you only. You can choose to be good or evil, smart or stupid, high or tall or maybe even a halfling. :D But whatever you do, and whatever decisions you make, in most cases, nobody would be able to enjoy it but yourself, while in PnP you can see your group react on your actions with real human emotions. :)

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited October 05, 2001).]

13. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31

[​IMG] Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I am going to give PnP a try, just to see what it is like, but not until I graduate in May. That would be way to much stuff going on at once!

I think it will be worth it, just to see the differences between the two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.