1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is IWD2 really that much better?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was wondering, and I know the answers are going to be biased, but is IWD2 really better that BG, BG2 or IWD. I've never played IWD but the BG series were good because they had a story line. whats your view?

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, it has some primitive form of storyline, but I still prefer IWD1 in this regard. The good thing is dialogues, but again you're not getting much of them even if you're not fighting, which doesn't happen often :rolleyes: 3E character development is something new and nice to try, a flavour in itself, making up for the general boringness of longing plot fragments.

Less playing than SoA, more than IWD1, something quite enough for you to bear it, because if it had been longer, no human endurance would suffice unless one of a Lawful Neutral monk with INT and WIS at 10 each.

Go for it, if you like. It's not that really bad if you have nothing better to play. But if you have forgotten enough of BG2 to have some fun playing it again, then play BG2 again.

If you're still interested, I'm ready to discuss your initial party development with you, the most captivating factor to the game.

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I agree with Chevalier. The funniest thing with the game is making your characters. You should play Icewind Dale 1 before taking on this baby.

If you don't like Icewind Dale 1, you will hate this one.
    If you like Icewind Dale 1, you will enjoy playing this one time only.
    If you loved Icewind Dale 1, you will like this one.
    If you loathe Icewind Dale 1, you are going to get arrested for wiping out the whole Black Isle development studio. :D

4. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Eugh, I hated IWD2. It's all Hack, Slash, Hack slash some more. While the 3E rules are wonderful (I love subraces.. mmmmm!), the game sucked in my opinion. I'd much rather remind myself of the "good old days" by planting myself down in front of the Story-immersive Planescape: Torment, or Baldur's Gate.

5. S0litude Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I haven't played the game through yet but in my opinnion this game isn't that good.
    Its storyline sucks(only one way to go most of the time), you're fighting all the time(hack&slash), while the combat isn't that enjoyable(combared to DiabloII). I have heard great things about BG series - I'll propably go to them next.

6. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like systems. Everuwhere.

I like IWDII because of 3e.
    I dislike IWDII beacuse not everything from 3e is implemented.

The "Matrix" effect of stopping the game and giving commands to all characters is great. It's flaw is, that you cannot "turn" and "zoom" the world - to see the battle from all angles, to evaluate the situation properly.

I think that role playing here is fine and sucks. Fine - you can create your party and manage members. Sucks - no reputation goals, no story branching (according to what "have we done or spoken"). No penalties for paladin doing some nasty things. I know, there are some such places and events - but they are few and they do not change the story - they have only local meaning.

I will play it to the end. Maybe I will try Hof - maybe - to achieve more XP and levels. Maybe I will try with another party (currently no druid, monk and ranger).

Overall I like IWDII. I could imagine IWDII++ where everything would be better. But as a programmer, I know it would be harder to do it (all 3e implemented, with all skills, feats, ...). I can imagine a "reputation system" where the possibilities open for a party would depend on "what we have done in the past" - but this would be a hard task for designers and story developers.

7. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

It's not a bad game but the first was better. Then again, neither was a patch on the BG series.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I like IWDII better than BG II because I could create my own characters. BGII has more quests and variety. Interesting that the prior posts see more fighting in IEWDII but there are areas where you can use diplomacy, bluff or intimidation. The story isn't much. I miss Boo.
    A lot of the dialogue in BGII got on my nerves. I am not a dedicated AD&D Player or role player. I may look at the game differently from dedicated players. I think I would like a game that is a cross between BII and IWDII. Maybe not possible.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Since when havn't you been able to creat your own characters in BG2?

The only thing I like about IWD2 is the character creation with 3E rules. Apart from that fact it was terrible. Pathetic story, all hack'n'slash, no joinable NPCs.

10. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I liked the game, but as a couple od people here have written, the story wasn't good and it was too much hack'n slash. But i played through the game and i liked it. Although i'll probably never play it again.

This game is a "one-time-playing-game" sort of thing :)

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I bought it and started playing it with my friend, 3 chars each. When we got to the "Timeloop place" it bugged out and we couldn´t get past it. So we got pretty pissed and I haven´t played it since.

IWD1, BG1 and BG2 are far much better.
    But I dont think that IWD2 is a lousy game, be sure to get the latest patch however before playing.

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, you can create your own characters in BGII and I did an aborted game with my own characters. I didn't like because in my not so humble opinion BGII (single player) was written to be played with the NPC's provided. I also like the idea that as long as I can keep any one of my characters alive I do not get tossed out of the game. The two games are different. Each one has it good and bad points. Play them all. IWDII fun to play. Story weak and short. It is linear which I also like.

13. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Here's what I think :

Baldur's Gate 1+TOTSC Rules
    Baldur's Gate 2+TOB Rules
    PS:T Rules
    Icewind Dale 1+HOW Rules
    Icewind dale 2 Rules
    Pool of Radiance is baaaaad....mkay?

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Dungeon Siege was a bad game, IWD 2 is a lot like Dungeon Siege, which is to say that it wasn't a very good one...

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have played some of it, and found it an OK, if very straight forward game. Too many PC problems for me to run it properly however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.