1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's in the bargain bins

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Fat Egg, Oct 16, 2000.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] Just today I was looking through a bargain bin, and I saw: Grand Theft Auto: DC for only $15, C&C: Red Alert for $10, F1 & F2 $10 & $20, M&M Archives for $20, Civ 2 $10, and most amazingly a forgotten realms archive, featuring all those good 'ol gold and silver box games for $10. I already had all these games, but I ended up buying the forgotten realms archives, then selling them on ebay for $130! Amazing, isn't it? I actually made a profit of nearly a day's work for $10! You guys should get in on this! :)

2. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] what stores are you going to Egg? the only games i come across in the bargin bins are Deer Hunter and Golf. i would love to find a copy of forgotten realms archive, thats the only reason i check the bargin bins. 20 bucks for F2 alone. you can get the F1 and F2 package for $20 off the shelf.

3. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

You can? Hmm. Anyway, I go to my closest used game store, thats right, a used game store has bargain bins, its actually fairly expensive for a used game store, but it has all those good 'ol classics. Try used game stores. Basically idiots give away their good games, to buy crappy new ones, although not all new ones are crappy, many are. I saw some guy bring in stonekeep, diablo, warcraft 1,2,Expansion , and die by the sword all for two fairly crappy games, tomb raider 4 and sydney 2000. Just because they were new. I tried to convince him not to do it, but the store manager said he would kick me out if i didn't shut up, but i had already bought the game i wanted to buy, and so I just went on raving like a lunatic, i got kicked out, but I managed to scream "you'll both rot in gaming hell for this" . I then began singing "damn it feels good to be a gangsta". True story.

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited October 16, 2000).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Eggman,

Every time I read one of your posts I get thinking your have a soft yoke :) But for real I do agree with your thoughts if not your actions. I think a lot of the old games are better than the new ones. They were just better stories. I too have the FR collection. I saw if about six months ago for $17. I'd pay $10 just for PoR so the other games were a dallor each. Not a bad deal. But I don't trade in my games. Once I have them I keep them forever.

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

Only doimg what's best for gamers. That owner knew that he was ripping the guy off. Maybe the rot in hell part was a bit much, or maybe not ;)

6. hooligan_inc Guest

The wierd thing is, GTA costs £5, but GTA: London costs £10!

Wuh?

7. Eggman, Fearless protector of of Life, Liberty, and the Right to protection from Crappy Games!!

I am soooo sick of hearing people say "back then they really made great games", with some idiots even going so far as to say that games were more focused on gameplay back then because you couldn't really do anything with the graphics.

Get off the drugs, folks (or in some cases, start taking them).
    Nothing has changed between then and now except the graphics are better. Nothing.
    Bitching about companies cranking out tons of identical RTS or FPS clones? I remember when it was Pac-Man and Space Invader clones, shoveled out the door as fast as they could be burned (and later covertly buried in a landfill, or so they say...)
    No one is focusing on the story and/or gameplay anymore, it's all about the graphics? I heard this 20 years ago.

As far as quality, it doesn't seem to me like much has changed since the days of the first consoles and PCs, with roughly the same percentage of good to bad games. However, the jump in gameplay has been phenomenal. Things that wouldn't even have been dreamed about not long ago are becoming commonplace. Today's games, when done right, are unmatched in depth and scope. We have sports games where the players are beleivably animated, even between plays they'll talk to each other and move around. Games like Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex and Half-Life really pull you into the story and allow you different ways to interact with the games.

Getting all nostalicgic is great (I have a ton of the arcade classics games for the Playstation :D), but don't let your good memories blind you to the fact that there were PLENTY of turds back then, and there always will be. Greatness is something everyone aspires to, but few actually achieve.
    I really like the occasional trip down memory lane, but even better I like the frequent rush down the "here and now" highway, where Baldur's Gate 2, Age of Empires 2: Conquerors, and Diablo 2 await me...

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Lord Balduran,

In regards to your feelings about old vs. new games you made a few good points. Today a lot of game are trash and in days gone by a lot of games were trash. The main difference is that today's trash looks better. My only point is that the games that were good, that still get played today, have a special quality that made them great. Their graphics are not as good, their sound is not as good, but they are still fun.
    I'll be the first to say that a lot of new games are the best thing I have ever seen. But some of the classics are just as fun, and if we use 'funness' as the desiding factor as to if a game is great some of the old ones still qualify. 20 years from now people will still play some of the game were are buying today. Most will be forgotten and thankfully so, but some will last the test of time. This is the case with some of the classics.
    I think a great deal of this 'funness' comes not so much from the current quality of the game but from the memories connected to its original playing. Well always remember the good things about old games and sent the trash to the landfill. So let's not spend time saying what games are better let's just use then for what they are made for; to have fun. :)

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited October 23, 2000).]

9. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I don't know.

Most games I play either get lumped as distractions (good or not so good) or sheer genius.

I'd go for a compelling story over graphics and the bang factor anytime.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I've got one thing that really bugs me! Y'know the ring of wizardry in BG? Well, its ment to be in the Friendly arm Inn with the co-ordinates X=2546 Y=3507 or something like that. Anyway, when i get to one of those co-ordinates, it mucks up and says X= -1 Y= -1 and this really pisses me off! Does anyone know where that ring is? If so can you please tell me? And can you also give me some description of its location etc.

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Erm...isn't that a post for the BG board?
    Incidently it isn't in the Friendly Arm Inn, i think it's in Candlekeeps crypts, or is that the ring of fire protection? Either way, it's not in the Inn.

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited October 25, 2000).]

12. Myrthos Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well it is in the wrong forum, but there used to be a ring of protection in the Friendly Arm Inn area, but it has been taken out in the patch. I know there should be a ring of Wizardry in the town Baldur's Gate (AR1100, X=1716, Y=2498). As far as I know this is the only one. But then again I'm not sure it is the only one.

[This message has been edited by Myrthos (edited October 25, 2000).]

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Again that questions has been answered in the BG section but yes you are right. There was a ring of wizardry at the FAI. It was outside in the lower left hand corner. As you stand on the path facing the gate to was to your right at the edge of the trees in a dead tree stump. Again I think is was taken out in the patch. The ring doubled your first level spells. Go check old posts in the BG section for more info.

14. hooligan_inc Guest

[​IMG] You get a ring of wizardry in chapter 3, from the guy in a room above Feldpost's Inn who tells you where the bandit camp is.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

No you don't, you just get a ring of protection+1 those things are common enough...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.