1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD Technical Question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by InfinitelyTrue, Oct 4, 2006.

1. InfinitelyTrue Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hello again folks, it's me with yet another random question.

unfortunately, i ran into a game stopping issue. for some reason, whenever i get into fight scenes, the game slows down into a MAJOR crawl, with the cursor skipping around, people lagging around, etc.

strangely enough, this occurs whether or not i have opengl acceleration turned on, eax turned on or off, etc. every other aspect of the game runs beautifully, except when i run into a fight (which IWD is chock full of).

the issue theoretically isn't my computer's power, as it should have plenty of power to run IWD (2ghz, 1gig of ram, geforce 7800gs, etc etc). moreover, the only time the game lags is when i'm fighting something (tested this by summoning some undead in easthaven and beating up the townsfolk :p ), so i don't even think it has anything to do with video card issues.

that being said, i did install IWDTweaks from G3, but the only things i installed were the bugfix, staff sellability, weapon animations and wearing multiple magical protection items. out of that list, the only tweak that might have something to do with combat is the weapon animations fix, but even so, i don't see why it would create such lag.

if anyone here has a newer nvidia card, could you perhaps be so kind as to tell me what version drivers/forceware you are using, given that the game runs fine for you? or perhaps even better, might anyone have an idea why the game would perform so poorly, but only in combat? it's getting somewhat irritating trying to get the IE games to run right, which is saddening since there's a marked dearth of good CRPGs in this style and i need to get my fix somehow.

thanks!

p.s. the games were done as a completely fresh install, with all patches (well, just one patch) applied in the correct order.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Find 4+ years old Nvidia drivers and install those. The newer the Nvidia drivers, the more problematic IE games become, it seems. Though another problem might be that your card might not work with drivers that old. In which case, playing without any GeForce drivers installed might actually be the only solution. You could also try the DX "fix" stickied in the IWD2 forum, in case it helps. It might also be a DirectX issue...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.