1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD: What would have happened if....(upd.06-10-04)

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Apeman, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

.....those six pesky adventurers died in the avalanche!

I'm currently making a fan fiction of the game Icewind Dale (I to be clear). It evolves around the characters that would have been the heroes if the famous adventurers would have died in that dreadful avalanche. I'm trying to make the story as professional as possible so it may take a while. I tried to personify the NPC as closely as possible but without that much Role Play in IWD I have a lot of freedom.

So, no unknown adventurers killing everything in their path. This time it's:

Erevain who didn't die alone in Dragon's Eye
    Mother Egenia who will join the party at Dragon's Eye instead of returning to town
    Hrothgar who won't die in the avalanche
    Orrick the Grey whom will never get his mythal if he doesn't get off his lazy butt
    Everard the selfish man who threw himself into the portal

The first parts will be the introduction of most characters so don't say there's no action or great conversation. It'll come in the future.

BTW this is my first entry in this forum so some feedback would be great; bad or good --> I can only learn. Also the story is bound to change along the way because I'm rarely completely satisfied with my work :)

Prologue:

Egenia was nearing her fifties, her once black hair was showing a few streaks of grey but she still had the look in her eyes of a twenty-year-old, especially when she was working in her small church. Although she felt her body becoming more and more tired, even now polishing the statue, she hadn’t lost the spirit that once drew her to the deity.
    Ilmater, the crying god, is the god of suffering, endurance and perseverance. Mother Eugenia made it her life quest to ease the suffering of the innocent. She wasn’t alone. A few years back one of the children in the village of Kuldahar showed potential to become a priestess of Ilmater. Amelia is her name and she entered the church as Egenia’s novice nine years ago. She was currently on a pilgrimage along the sword coast not unlike the one Egenia made 3 decades ago.

A gust of warm wind made her turn to the door. A man entered the small temple, Mother Egenia was a little surprised, no one had entered the village in the last few days as far as she knew, and the villagers mostly stayed clear of the temple if their business didn’t led them their.
    The stranger closed the two doors of the temple and walked toward Mother Eugenia, although to Eugenia it seemed the man floated towards her, his feet never seeming to touch the blue tiles. Disturbingly enough he seemed to float on a personal sea of blood. Part of his robes near his feet was dyed blood red. With every ripple of his stride it seemed a wave of blood came rushing towards Egenia. A sharp tint of blue was mostly present above the waist while the while the rest of his robes were white further accenting the ‘sea of blood’.

Mother Eugenia suddenly wanted to flee through the back of her little temple; quick judgement overruled her instincts though.
    Along his shoulders hung a shawl of an equally disturbing maroon colour with its ends formed as droplets ready to fall into the pool at his feet.
    His half long raven black hair was neatly washed and didn’t belong to a traveller long on the road. His sharp nose accentuated his angular facial features, but those black eyes were the worst, like there were no emotions behind them, dead, almost zombie like.

“I am revered brother Poquelin” He began in a shrill voice. A voice, Eugenia noticed, that seemed like it didn’t belong to this strange man.
    “I have travelled far from the Head temple of Ilmater in Waterdeep to investigate the rumours of the disturbances that troubles this region” he continued
    “I wasn’t aware of troubles here” Eugenia said trying to mask her nervousness around this man. Except for the abnormally cold weather we have been encountering the last days I haven’t noticed anything, were did you say you came from?”
    “From Waterdeep, a… messenger came into our fair town not long ago bringing grave news from the north” Poquelin almost whispered
    Mother Eugenia considered that pause; it was as if he had to come up with something quick but didn’t even bother to try.
    “Well it seems to me that nothing strange happened, maybe it was a prank of children back in your ‘town’” Eugenia said while emphasising the word town. Waterdeep was one of the largest and most prominent of cities along the Sword Coast last she heard.

“Mmm but there will be, yes there most certainly will be happenings here” he muttered under his breath that came out like a hiss. “hmmm…..I still would like to investigate here further, if you don’t mind I could use a place to stay for the night sister Egenia”
    “Mother Eugenia” she corrected “You can stay here as long as you want brother” she pointed at a room to her right.
    “I thank you for you co-operation mother but I will likely stay for a few days only” Poquelin said while walking to the appointed room.
    A few nights too long thought Egenia but kept it to her self.

The next morning the room was empty and Mother Egenia found no sign of revered brother poquelin. As she walked outside to see if someone of the village had seen the man, Conlan, the towns blacksmith came running from one of the huge roots yelling his son was missing.

The blizzard had been forming snow for not more than half ten minutes now, yet Erevain was positively soaked through to his bones. The freezing winds had been eminent throughout the entire trip from Neverwinter and were growing fiercer still. This was his yearly trip to the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale. His Elven seniors wanted to have clear updates of the region every year. Ever since the Great War against the dwarves centuries ago the elves were ever weary of the region. The scars of that Great War had never truly healed. Although they had no current quarrel with the Dale dwarves they were curious, if not borderline paranoia, about the whereabouts and dealings of the small folk.

The Elves had lost one of their major outposts in the North during the war. Nowadays not a single elf knows the exact location of the ruins. One of the purposes of this trip was to exchange information with the northerners, specifically if an adventurer or otherwise had by accident stumbled upon the lost fortress. Perhaps the fortress wasn’t as prominent or important as was Myth Drannor, it was still full of elven secrets and artefacts.
    According the ancient legends of the elves the fortress was constructed in the shape of a hand, with each finger symbolising a different elven deity.

A sudden extremely sharp gust of wind pushed Erevain back in his tracks. It was August now and it was unusually cold for this time of the year. Erevain thought nothing much of it though, early winters were not unheard of in the Dale. He had to admit though that the storm was getting to close for comfort.
    How he longed for one of Grisella’s finest and a nice warm bed at quimby’s.
    After an hour of wrestling through the snow he arrived at the outskirts of Easthaven. Easthaven was one of the smaller towns out of the ten. Laying on the shore of Lac Dinneshere it profited from the rare fish in the lake. Knucklehead Trout they were called, and it’s an eatable fish, yet the real profit comes from its bones, which are frequently used by sculptors.
    Dusk was setting in as he walked through the town’s only major path. The blizzard had turned full force now and there were no villagers outside. They were probably gathered around a nice and warm fire, Erevain thought jealously while he increased his pace.

He quickly passed pomab’s emporium and the Snowdrift Inn on his way to Grisella's pub. He fumbled a moment with the door handle of the pub. He hadn’t felt his fingers for a long time now and they were trying their best not to submit to Erevain’s will. Finally he managed to open the door and stumbled inside, hands leading with their palms open towards the warm fire. He didn’t notice the scarcity of customers in the pub. This time of year and around this time of the day the pub should have been filled with merchants from the south and the other towns.
    “Ha Erevain, we was fearin’ you weren’t comin’ this year with the weather and all” said a familiar dwarven voice. Erevain didn’t turn around to face him for he had longed too long and too much for this warmth. Without even turning his head he said: ”It takes more than a little blizzard to deter me from my yearly duties”

They weren’t actually duties. Erevain was at least as curious as the Elven council and needed no urging to make the long journey.
    His hands were slowly returning to their natural colour and he looked around for the first time. There were indeed very few patrons in tonight. In fact he only recognised townfolk from Easthaven. He turned towards Hildreth Highhammer and said: “I guess I’m the only one who shares that sentiment, what’s going on?”
    “Haven’t ye noticed the weather out there on the way over Elf? It’s no summer breeze out there ya know!”
    “Sure enough but these storms are not uncommon in the Dale, in fact I’ve had worse in my previous years travelling the same route” Erevain answered.
    “Hrmph, what you’ve been through today is nothing compared to the storms we’ve had so far this season. We’ve got more runners arriving everyday to announce that their caravans will not come this year. And that’s from the merchants who actually care enough to send runners. Fisherman in the village are getting anxious, they are missing badly needed pay”

Erevain listened stoically, yet he had to admit it was one of the worst journeys he had ever made. No need to worry yet though, he thought while he sat down at Hildreth's table. He only hoped that some would make their way over here, otherwise he was forced to travel deeper into the dale for information.
    “Where’s Grisella?” Erevain asked. I’m starving and I could use a glass of wine”
    “Wine! Hrmph still not into the only real drink there is are ye Elf” Hildreth put some extra force into his argument by downing his brew and slamming it on the table. “Anyway she’s downstairs battlin’ the vermin. Hargh, without them adventurers killin’ the bugs every season she’s been into a fit ever since”
    They both had a good laugh picturing the bulky figure of Grisella locked into a deadly battle with the mice in her basement.
    “Where did our ancestors go wrong Hildreth? We’ve been friends for positively years” Erevain asked the laughing dwarf.

Erevain contemplated on the issue for most of his life and every time he and Hildreth met here in Easthaven he couldn’t rightly understand it. There were little differences between him and Hildreth. Sure there’s the fact that Erevain is an Elf and Hildreth is a dwarf but their fundamental differences were easily sidestepped.
    “I’ve said it before friend” Hildreth took a long pause building the silent tension. ‘Twas most likely the elves”
    That drew a smile from Erevain, he indeed had heard it before.
    “So you headin’ to Kuldahar any time soon?” Hildreth asked
    Erevain thought about it for a moment and asked: “The whole dale has been having problems with the weather?” He knew the answer before he asked it but was curious none the less.
    “From what little news coming to this town I’d have to say yes”
    “Then I have little choice left but to go” Erevain sighed in resignation, he’d rather avoid the hamlet all together. Kuldahar, as nice as it is, was little in the hope of information. Yet with this weather it’s the only town left reachable for him.

“Best to wait a few days then, rumour has it Hrothgar’s assembling a party with Kuldahar as their destination” Erevain looked up at this and simply asked: “why?”
    “One of the few messengers that did came through arrived from Kuldahar. He literally stumbled into town bearing a message from Archdruid Arundel. Kuldahar, along with the rest of the dale, is having serious problems with the weather”
    “….and this is different why?” Erevain asked a bit impatiently.
    “Well…you didn’t hear it from me but evidently Arundel somehow convinced both Hrothgar and Everard, through a letter that is. Some stuff about the balance being distorted” he said. You know how those pansy druids react when they are worked up.”

“Through a letter?” he asked incredulously. It would take more than a simple letter to gain Hrothgar’s immediate attention” Erevain said while looking if Grisella had worked her way up again.
    “Well the messenger died the same day” answered Hildreth. That got Erevain’s attention as he looked at Pat with questioning eyes. “Sheer exhaustion, they told us. You know as well as I do that it ain’t no difficult trip from Kuldahar, and even if it was it wouldn’t be enough to cut a man down in his prime”

Erevain agreed with his friend and got more intrigued by the second when suddenly they heard some muffled cries and curses from what could only have been the basement. A few seconds later a bulky figure ascended from the stairs behind the counter.
    “Finally got that little bugger!” Grisella almost cried in victory showing a tiny mouse bungling from his tail in Grisella’s big hand. When she spotted Erevain among the crowd she came sulking over.
    “How many left Gris?” Erevain joked
    “A few scores no doubt” she said humorously. So how long are you in for Erevain?”
    “Longer than I had anticipated” he sighed.

[ October 06, 2004, 13:28: Message edited by: Apeman ]

2. Smyther Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This is very good. I've never played Icewind Dale, but I've heard its hack-and-slash. If you can combine some good fight scenes with more of the role playing (for lack of a better term) that you have expressed here.
    A few tips: type it all up on Word (or Apple's equivalent) for a good grammar and spellchecker.
    As has been suggested to myself numerous times, you should put blank lines between each paragraph. It makes for easier reading.
    Describe things a little more. It's all fine and well to let the reader form their own images in their minds, but a few desriptive words work wonders.
    I know I am very familiar with the Forgotten Realms, but others aren't. Give a little description of realmsian things when they occur, just to give a sense of what you're talking about or comparing to.
    So apart from these minor things, you've got a great thing going. Try reading a favorite FR novel and emulate their style. There's nothing wrong with doing this, as often you find limitations with their work and you begin to develop your own better style.
    Keep up the good work, and keep posting. This is excellent now, and will be more so if you try a few of my suggestions, especially when the action and dialogue really get going.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Thanks Smyther.

Well as I said the action will be coming as this is more an introduction of the characters. I thought about doing a more extensive overview of the area but that would be boring for the people who know the setting. I'm actually thinking about a scene where they sit and talk about things in general and their views of society instead of the coming journey, this would be in the sense of the movie 'reservoir dogs'

I actually already have written 28 msword pages but I'm rewriting the entire story because again I'm almost never completely satisfied.

Anyway glad you liked it and thanks for the comments. Expect an update this weekend.

4. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

You could also use Hildreth (sp?) for your band of heroes, she's a dwarf you can meet in Grisella's pub.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

28 pages? Bloody hell, I got a lot of fan-fics, but none have I gotten so stuck to that I have continued for more than 10 pages. Kudos on that one.

Great story, also, but as Smyther said, spacings would be welcome.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

@fallen paladin

Actually that is (maybe temporarily) Pat, I rightly couldn't remember her name so I changed her a bit. But I might change it later.

Great to see you enjoy it and I'll include spacing next time.

7. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

This is really good Apeman. Its a great concept to write about what could have happened, and I really enjoyed reading it :thumb:

8. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Do you think Hrothgar might have been a Paladin?
    There is also that female priest apprentice in the Easthaven temple. Everard may send her along with Hrothgar.

The elf, dwarf and priestess might be sent to clear the orcs.
    Also I dont think Orric will agree to join the party till Arundel is dead. Considering he should already be a high level mage that wont be a problem later on.

Are you thinking of including the story from HoW and TotLM?

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

No I'm creating Hrothgar as a fighter type because he wields an axe.

I'm actually not sure if I'll include the orc cave. It is a good way to show some action in the beginning though.

About the priestess in the temple. I already have Egenia as a priest so... I am doubting to take Everard with me because it will be hard to remember him in the end after all that time.

I am thinking about including HoW for story reasons. Aihonens sword for example and a dragon is always nice. But I'm not sure how to weave it into the story.

Next updat will include new characters and the orc cave with at least Hrothgar Erevain and Hildreth.

[ September 28, 2004, 19:10: Message edited by: Apeman ]

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What was later? :)

11. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

More please. This is well written. Keep up the good work.

12. The Kilted Crusader

Hrothgar's a lvl 13 fighter (it says it somewhere in the manual) and I thought he used a sword?

@Lawless: Hey!

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Small update I'm afraid. I'm swamped right now but my weekend starts today so I'll have the orc cave ready this weekend. A reply would be convenient for this weekend so I won't have to edit this post. Thanks!

Horthgar and Everard

“We have a problem” Everard said the moment he opened the door.
    “And a good day to you too” replied Hrothgar jovially while stepping in the modest temple. Hrothgar did not visit the temple too often with the exception of official town business. A pity he thought, for it was a remarkable place. The largest building in town stood out among the other cabins like a blue eyed frost giant among a score of hobgoblins. The three story high building was made of grey stone with huge ice blue stained glass windows on all four sides. The inside was even more impressive. A depiction of Tempus, standing on two battle ready steeds holding a two handed sword with just one hand, stood in the back as if ready to charge anyone who entered the temple. On the sides, adorned on pedestals, were eight ancient looking weapons. Hrothgar knew they were from eight different legends who either died in their last battle wielding their now legendary weapons, or were never heard from again.

Everard led him towards the staircase and bade Hrothgar to go first. Upstairs it was a desolate place. Little or no furniture adorned the room and while it should have been bright in there, it was dark and grim. Layer upon layer of snow, which had assembled on the outside, blocked out the little light there should have been. Everard walked over to a small round table with two chairs and lighted a pathetic little candle, which did little good to illuminate the room. In fact the only thing it accomplished was to make the room even more depressing.
    Just like the expression on Everard’s face, Hrothgar thought. He didn’t really know the old battle-priest that well. Hrothgar knew that settlers from the west discovered the temple, abandoned as it was, a century ago. Those same people settled down around the temple and named the town Easthaven. Word spread concerning the temple and it did not take long for a priest of Tempus to man it. Everard replaced his predecessor a decade ago and never really mingled with the town. He was a timid man and usually only made an appearance on town meetings where he didn’t voice that much input. That all changed last week when the messenger from Kuldahar died in his temple. If this sudden change of demeanour resulted from either the actual death of the messenger or the message he carried, Hrothgar couldn’t tell.

“We have a problem” Everard said again.
    “Which would be?” sighed Hrothgar. Ever since they started preparing the expedition to Kuldahar there was a different problem every day.
    “Pomab visited the temple this morning and to say it lightly he was not overly happy”
    Hrothgar’s face contorted to a grimace when he almost yelled “Pomab!”
    He relaxed a little when he saw an accusing look on Everard’s face. Normally pomab would venture to Hrothgar for aid. Although it was not a big surprise that Pomab would come to Everard now, Hrothgar thought. Last time Pomab came complaining to him it did not end up as was expected from a town’s representative. In fact that kind of behaviour was not even expected from a Dale barbarian. Luckily Pomab was not seriously hurt in the incident. But to Hrothgar’s delight it was enough to deter pomab from ever approaching him.
    “You shouldn’t spend your valuable time on that Calim****e” Hrothgar said. We have more important issues to worry about”
    “What about supplying your caravan Hrothgar?” Everard pointedly remarked. Does that stand on top of your list? For once Pomab has a real problem which actually affects us and not his own purse”
    “Alright already, just explain the problem and the reason why you involved me into this” Hrothgar said in almost defeat.
    “The caravan from Bryn Shander has not arrived yet. It was due two weeks ago” Everard explained. Without it we haven’t got any supplies for our mission”
    “Hmm, that is odd” Horthgar thought out loud. I received a notice from my friend Bron a few weeks back explaining that they, despite the weather, would definitely make the journey as usual”

“And there is no way the roads along Lac Dinneshere are snowed in” Hrothgar continued.
    “My thoughts exactly” Everard said. That leaves us with negligence on Bron’s account…..”
    “Not in my lifetime” interrupted Hrothgar. Or his for that matter” he added quickly.
    “…Or” said Everard trying in vain to finish his sentence.
    “No, it must be something else” Hrothgar thought out loud again. Everard looked Hrothgar in the eyes with mock anger.
    “I’m sorry” he said. You obviously came to the same conclusion yourself. Have you also a plan of action stashed under that grey canopy what you call hair?” Hrothgar said with a smile.
    “As a matter of fact I do” he answered. We need to send a small party along the trade route in search of the missing caravan. I’d figure a party of three or four should be enough. With you leading them it shouldn’t take more than a few days to find it”
    “Sounds fine to me” Hrothgar replied. “I’ll assemble a few lads from town and we’ll set out tomorrow in the morning”
    Hrothgar got up and walked over to the staircase. He stopped suddenly, turned back towards Everard and said: “If we find that caravan it’s ours right?”
    “Do you really want to stir up more problems with Pomab” Everard asked. Seeing the amused look on Hrothgar’s face Everard quickly changed the subject.
    “Worry about getting you party together. Do you have someone in mind?”
    “Well I heard Erevain arrived in town, together with Hildreth he makes a great team. With you and me on their side it should be enough”
    “Oh…alright then, keep me posted on the progress” he said while blowing out the candle. Darkness settled in the room once more when Everard suddenly realised what Hrothgar said.
    “Wait, what do you mean ‘you and me’?”

14. The Kilted Crusader

This is shaping up well. I can't wait for your next post.

15. Lawless Gems: 6/31

Great stuff. Im liking this. Keep it coming.

16. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Next update. I'm afraid the orc cave isn't included yet. I've been having too much fun writing the clues that lead to the cave. It's great to write alongside a main story line that is so thin you can actually do everything you want. I took me longer than I thought to get out of Easthaven, that may mean that some other place get's cut (temple of the forgotten god or Vale of shadows)

Next update will include the orc cave :cool:

Early next morning with the sun behind them the four of them were on their way. It took little convincing to enlist Erevain and Hildreth. Both of them were anxious to get the expedition on the way. Hrothgar did have a bit more trouble convincing Everard to join. He kept insisting that his presence was needed in town and that the mission needed more preparation. To Everard’s dismay Grisella stepped in and promised to take care of the tasks that needed further attention. So with much reluctance, and fully armored, he fell in behind the others this morning in search of the missing caravan. For the first time in days the sky was friendly with actually a few rays of sunlight creeping from behind the clouds. They followed the road leading out of Easthaven keeping Lac Dinneshere ever in sight. Hrothgar himself has travelled with the caravan numerous times and knew the safest and most swift path along the lake. After an hour Hrothgar led them to a halt at the point where the path led either wide around the lake or it seemed onto the ice. Lac Dinneshere has many points where a brave, or dim-witted, person could cross the ice in the winter and thus save precious time.

“We’ll have to make a choice here” said Hrothgar. With the weather the lake has been exposed to lately there is a good chance the ice is thick enough to risk a caravan crossing it”
    “The alternative?” asked Hildreth. She wasn’t overly fond of water, especially when it was the kind you could walk on, or even more important you could break through.
    “The alternative would be an extra three hours travelling” replied Hrothgar.
    Erevain closely examined the transition area between road and ice. “If a caravan crossed here this week there are no signs proving it did” he said. But due to the heavy snowfall I have to admit it could have”
    “The real question would be if your friend Bron is desperate enough to cross the ice” Everard put in.
    “Considering that for every time I joined them we, if feasible, crossed the ice,…I would say yes” Hrothgar answered.
    Hildreth seeing where this was going, vainly tried to steer the conversation away from the ice: “But we’re not sure right? Maybe we should be splittin’ up and make sure both options are covered”
    “Too dangerous splitting up the four of us” Everard quickly answered. If our fears are grounded and the caravan was attacked, we should be together when we encounter the supposed attackers”
    “Hrmph” Hildreth snorted. Who am I to worry anyway. I’m not the one carrying around my own bodyweight in armor.

This morning Everard donned his old full plated armor for the first time since a decade past. The armor was expertly crafted. The blackened steel, intertwined with leather strapping holding it together and making it adapt to his body parts, covered all starting at his ankles all the way up to his neck. It was well kept but underneath the shiny exterior the marks of battle were evident. Several dents and scratches surrounded places where, had he not worn the armor, death would have been certain.
    “Judging from your armor Everard, I’d say you’ve had your share of battle” Erevain said while lightly stepping on the ice.
    Everard carefully, very carefully, stepped on the snow-covered ice. Putting some weight on one leg testing the ice he said: “These eyes have seen battle, yes. But that was years ago and I’ve grown quite content with my role in the temple”
    Satisfied that the ice would hold his weight he followed Erevain in his steps. Behind them followed Hrothgar and at the end, trusting only the parts where her fellow companions tread before her, followed Hildreth.

With several inches of snow covering the ice it was relatively easy going. The only problem was the wind. Without cover of trees or hills the wind was blowing fiercely, spinning the gathered snow in the companions faces. Several mounds of snow blown together were scattered across the lake. With their vision limited by the snow being thrown in their faces, they arrived halfway across the lake where the banks of snow were fast turning into viable mountains. On that point the wind blew from both the east and the west pelting the snow against the ever-growing mounds. Unfortunately it divided the lake into two mountains of snow with just a small ravine-like pathway.
    “Going around it would take more time than going around the lake would have been” Erevain shouted above the wind.
    “Then Bron most likely would have gone straight through it” Hrothgar shouted back. Let’s head on, but be careful if an avalanche got them, it could turn on us also”
    They followed Erevain single file into the pathway. With the wind blocked of almost entirely, the only snow falling down was the snow crumbling of the three story high walls.

After a small while the pathway broadened to a width where three carts could easily travel next to each other with room to spare on both sides. Still they walked single file while staying in the middle of the ravine. Erevain was steadily looking for some tracks of the caravan when Everard said: “Look over there”
    He pointed further into the ravine where the walls on the east side suddenly gave away a small opening to the icy lake. Erevain followed the gazes of his companions when the ice under his foot gave away. His right leg submerged under the ice, he felt a thousand needles stabbing into his foot and leg. Shocked from the cold and overbalanced as his leg slid further into the water he fell hard, torso first, on the ice. Everard, who was closest by, quickly reacted, grabbed Erevain by his shoulders and dragged him away from the gaping hole. Hildreth seeing her friend in trouble ran towards him and passed Hrothgar, whom was looking deliberately at the ground. Seeing Hildreth passing him he grabbed her shoulders and dragged her down to his feet.
    “What are ye doing?” shouted a bewildered Hildreth.
    “Look there” he said calmly while pointing at another hole in the ice directly onto Hildreth’s path towards Erevain. In fact when she looked more thoroughly the ice was filled with holes. The snow and abysmal temperature had formed a thin layer of ice over the holes, blending them in with the rest of the ice.
    “No one moves” Hrothgar shouted. There are dozens more”

“Are you okay” Everard asked Erevain who’s shock was wearing out. Hrothgar in the mean time slowly and carefully advanced throught the hole filled area.
    “I’ll be fine” Erevain answered. But before my leg turns into an icicle I could use a blanket to shield it from the elements”
    Hildreth, after an extensive exploration of her immediate vicinity, approached Erevain and handed him a blanket she brought in her duffle bag.
    Hrothgar knelt down by one of the holes. Around the holes Hrothgar discovered various crude tool marks. He walked on, passing the opening on his right. A quick glance brought him a view of a small island in the middle of the lake. He continued forward still, keeping his eyes on the ice. Suddenly the holes seemed to run out, making way for barely visible footprints and wheel marks. Hrothgar examined them and quickly came to the conclusion that the weather conditions would make it difficult to make out what exactly happened here. There were no signs on the side where the party came from. Hrothgar tried to play out the scene in his head. The caravan, after making the decision to power through the funnel-like pathway, encountered this field of holes and decided to head back. Probably influenced by the lost time and horrid weather, they deemed it non-profitable to double back and take the long way to Easthaven.
    “Blast, they are sitting in front of a warm fire by now” he whispered to himself.

“Now this paints a pretty picture” said Erevain, startling a contemplating Hrothgar in the process. Erevain, favouring his left leg for the moment, had wrapped up his right leg with the blanket.
    “Looks like we found our missing caravan…” Erevain began
    “Yeah, well guess what, they are currently warmi…” Hrothgar tried to say.
    “…and they ran into the same trouble, or hole” he chuckled. As I did”
    Hrothgar suddenly not so eager to continue wisely held his tongue.
    “Look here” Erevain continued pointing at some obscure footprints. “These prints here lead exactly towards that hole, and a certain cold swim. These two sets of prints here are further apart and only the ball of the foot is visible, which indicates they were running”
    “Identical situation we were having just earlier” Hildreth put in.
    “Exactly” Erevain said. One of their men fell into this hole and his companions tried to drag him out”
    Erevain wiped some snow away from a place next to the hole. Frozen water appeared from where the snow had hid it.
    “Judging from the amount of ice here, I’d say he fell in completely” Erevain said.
    “That would mean they had to warm him up by a fire” Hrothgar said almost smugly.
    “Indeed” agreed Erevain. The trails of the carts carefully avoided the holes here….and here” he said pointing at two rather thin lines in the snow.
    “They are leadin’ towards the opening and into the lake again” Hildreth observed. I’m bettin’ they headed for that small island in the middle”
    Feeling quite embarrassed Hrothgar meekly said “I was gonna say”

The party avoided the holes and headed, through the opening, towards the island. It was a pitiful sight. The small island had a few dead frozen shrubberies and there was barely enough room for a caravan consisting of two wagons. The wind was raging full again as they followed the tracks towards the island. A small campfire had been built in the middle of the island, a bit secluded from the wind by a ring of bushes. Outside that ring the wind had blown away most of the snow, revealing frozen mud and more prominently frozen blood. A few broken crude weapons lay scattered about. Next to the fire lay the frozen solid body of a man.
    “That must be the unlucky fellow who fell into that trap” Hrothgar said. I think it’s safe to assume this was an elaborate trap set by the ones who created this carnage.
    Hildreth, concerned for her friend, immediately tried to get the fire going again. Everard and Hrothgar surveyed the scene and found wagon tracks leading away from the island in the direction of the shore.
    Soon Erevain’s leg was warming next to a fire and the party took a small reprieve before they went in pursuit of the hijacked caravan.

17. Lawless Gems: 6/31

I really like this. It's a great take on the icewind dale world. Great work.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Apeman
    Even if you have taken Everard to the orc cave, I hope you dont intend to take him all over the place. The guy just wont go on such a long quest.
    Hrothgar seems to have gleefully accepted being the savior leader of Easthaven.
    But Everards reason for coming to Easthaven was to get away from his former life. He was weary of his past violence. For him to go on an extended quest would seem OOC.

:lol:
    I never really knew till now why Pomab the Calim****e was thought to be a piece-of-****.
    :lol:

19. The Kilted Crusader

I thought Everard couldn't go out and fight because he's part of the "Broken Sword" order?

20. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Well, this is very good Apeman! :thumb: Though you might want to revise the dialogue of Hildreth to make it more dwarvish (ie. using word like ye, ter etc.). But other than that its really good. I enjoyed it very much!

[ October 18, 2004, 02:03: Message edited by: Rolsuk Fryulee ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.