1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD2 or NWN?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Lockesley, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Lockesley Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have a question as to which game I should buy (IWD2 or NWN). I have a limited budget and will only be able to get one of them this fall. My specific question is which one has a better and more complete single player game. I don't play multiplayer, and I would like a satisfying single player game. I really enjoyed BG and BG2, for the combination of stratigic combat and storyline. Most of the reviews of NWN I have read have been very mixed concerning the single player, and I haven't heard very much at all about IWD2. I would like some honest opinions on which game is better.

2. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I say get broadband and download both ;)

But seriously, what do you like the most, 3D games or did you fall in love with the infinity engine as I did. If you are no fan of 3D games, go for IWD2

3. Lockesley Gems: 1/31

Well, I like 2D and 3D games. I bought Morrowind and liked it, but in my mind 3D graphics do not make up for a buggy game with an inferior storyline. I loved BG2 and the Infinity Engine, in my mind that was an extremely artistic game that drew me into it in a way that no 3D game ever has. I guess my real question is, having never played IWD, and having heard it was very linear and hack-and-slash, and having heard that NWN sold out to the Diablo crowd, I am wondering whether IWD2 will provide a good storyline with more stratigic gameplay, sidequests, etc, than NWN.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] If you don't play multiplayer there can be no doubt! While I own NWN but not IWD2 - since it isn't released here yet - it's a safe bet to say that the campaign in IWD2 must be better than the one in NWN because the one in NWN was... bad. :cry:

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. GMA Gems: 1/31

I own and play both quite a bit. I think it really comes down to whether you like party-based play or 2-player play (NWN allows you an AI controlled henchman). IWD2 has a well written story and beautifully painted 2D graphics. I find its interface a little clunky, but worth the play. NWN has nice 3D graphics, but the tilesets can get a bit dull. Since buying NWN I have downloaded over 300 quests and campaigns. Some of those have been of better or comparable quality to anything produced by Bioware or Dark Isle...ever. Also, the editor allows for unlimited creation of scripts, monsters, character classes, graphics, and tilesets. When you're finished playing IWD2 you're done, period. As far as I'm concerned IWD2 is worth buying because it's an incredible and well crafted game. However, NWN will be around a lot longer, and the quality of user made enhancements will only improve. I love IWD2 for the beautiful handpainted graphics and the ability to create a full party (there are also some races NWN doesn't have). However, NWN has a lot going for it, and has as much role-playing as IWD2 depending on the scenario or campaign you are using. Never compare NWN to Diablo unless you're playing a badly crafted scenario. Based on the above, decide what is most important to you in an RPG and get gaming.

7. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I love both games - and would give both 9 of 10. The multiplayer in NWN is so .. good with friends and a good DM. Gather some p&p friends for a weekend, create a module and play, play, play!

IWD2: I just bought this game and is in the middle of chapter 1. In the start were there many quests which were all great (those I've completed)

I've loved everysingle game that Black Isle and Bioware has made. I really don't hope they stop using the infinte engine. Because, every enviroments is beatiful. The animations are cool and the spells look the way they should.

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] It's not like you can just whip up a module in NWN. It is hard work and takes lots of time. If you can find friends to play with I think a regular session of face-to-face pnp D&D is still much better.

The SP campaign in NWN can't really be considered to be anything than 1-player. Claiming it to be 2-player based on the henchman is like saying that you can have an in depth conversation with your dog. :p

Ok, so if NWN will be around so much longer, then why not wait with buying it until something comes along that makes NWN good. In the meantime play a game that is good right now - IWD2. :)

[ September 05, 2002, 01:55: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

9. GMA Gems: 1/31

I never cease to be amazed by how simps will become attached to one game over another, or one bag of chips over another brand. Man. Wierd to lack objectivity over such things.

10. Lockesley Gems: 1/31

I think I will probably go for IWD2(first), and wait to get NWN until around spring 2003. IWD2's party system really appeals to me, and I like the 2D graphics. Also, hopefully by next spring there will be some really excellent player created modules for NWN, and the (to my mind) outrageous price will have dropped some.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If single-player is your main concern, I agree, go with IWD2. It's campaign is far larger and more entertaining than the one that ships with NWN. While both are great games, I find IWD2 to be much more relaxing with its SP campaign.

Don't be swayed by the mods and such with NWN. It won't be long before people start modding IWD2 as well.

12. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

IWD2 is better as long as i played it :D

13. newfiesailor Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Okay boss I would take NWN because it is a breakthrough game for D&D on the computer. IWD 2 is old hat, same ballgame different park. The toolset in NWN is awesome when you get to it allowing u to build your own game, and how many of us real D&D players never dreamed of building our own module. The story line is great to. Get NWN

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.