1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jackson's Trial

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this... For those of you living under a rock, check this.

Does anyone still think MJ has even a snowball's chance in hell of getting out of this?

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Maybe... If he's cash enough to hire some big lawyers, then anything's possible. Besides which, we can't get all the subtle nuances of the court case from press reports alone. God only knows whether he's guilty or not. He seems from another planet most of the time; the guy has never had a normal life and consequently can't be normal.

Molestation's a whole other level, though. There's so many past incidences that have raised tough questions, you have to wonder why he's kept putting himself in the firing line, with things like the Martin Bashir documentary. Either there's a compulsion to be near kids for all the wrong reasons, or it's sheer naivete.

I can't know for certain, but like a lot of people I suspect the worst.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think that in the court of public opinion he's guilty until proven innocent because we, the people demand a scandal...

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Does Jackson stand a chance in hell? Sure, if his lawyer plays it right and drives the fact that you can't trust the victim or his family as far as you could throw them. Even if you manage to throw them pretty far... and throw them I shall! (Damnit Minsc! Back in your cage!)

For me he's innocent untill proven guilty and the only hard evidence we have is from a family who have been known to lie under oath and accept money in place of not reporting felonies.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

For me he is guilty untill proven innocent. He has said himself that he slept in the same bed as these kids, and the kids have obviuosly admitted it themselves. There is also proof for other wierd stuff, not to mention the case before that was settled (with BIG amounts of money)

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

celebrities live on news, feed on news, breath with news, good or bad, they don't care. i no celebrity, i ignore useless news.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    While I don't know anything about the trial itself (couldn't care less), the people flocking to MJ's defense and protesting outside the court hourse are vastly amusing. A local radio station interviewed a few of 'em during its morning program, and damn...

Let's just say these people are nuts. Some quit their jobs and intend to remain unemployed until the trial finishes. Hell, a few folks flew over from Europe to spend the next few months protesting. When asked what they hoped to accomplish by protesting, one man said (almost verbatim, can't quite remember) something along the lines of "We're sending positive vibes to him while he sits in that courthouse, letting him know people love him"

And on and on and on. Crazy, crazy people.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Just goes to show, AMaster, that some people have no idea how a legal system works. It's why I sometimes hate the idea of a jury often being people with no legal experience what-so-ever. Some of these people struggle to tie their own shoes in the morning let alone be capable of lining up facts and being able to work on a non-emotional level.

9. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think Jackson is a bit of a weirdo and im not sure if he did molest these kids but there is a point i want to make.

The kids whom he was said to have molested claim he gave them "jesus juice." If they had drunk enough then the might not know what happened so Jacko may not have molested them.

It was just something that occured to me. Then again it would not suprise me if he did it.

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

So far I'm not convinced that he's guilty of the charges laid. Weirdo, sure, but there's no law against that. The 'victim' and family are hardly the most reliable witnesses by all accounts.

Stand a chance? Sure, at the moment proof is scarce. Later we'll see, but there is always a chance. OJ anyone?

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The interesting thing to see is if he will be convicted of the charges concerning providing alcohol to a minor. As far as I can tell, no one is making that big of a deal, but the evidence seems somewhat strong on that, with third party corroborations and all, and it's a crime. He could wind up being sentenced for, I think, six years if convicted on all charges about that alone.

My understanding is that the judge is a recovering alcoholic, so I would not expect much sentencing leeway if he's convicted on those charges.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I will be totally surprised if MJ doesn't flee sometime before the verdict. My wife is hoping for a OJ style chase, but I figure one day he will board a private jet and that will be the last the United States will see of him.

13. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

If he is going to go Roman Polanski, let him do it soon and save the taxpayers a bunch money.

I really hope you are right Snook!

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The big difference between OJ and MJ is that one relied upon circumstantial evidence and the other one relies upon direct testimony.

A lot of things explain OJ's not guilty verdict. No direct testimony. The crime lab apparently f***ing up the forensic evidence. Judge Ito has been criticized for playing to an audience, which no judge has any business doing. Johnny Cochrane having the jury go around in circles about this thing about forensic and circumstantial evidence, and that thing about forensic and circumstantial evidence, and so on. And let's not forget OJ being allowed to try on the glove. Way to go Christopher Darden.

Here, we've got eyewitness testimony. Then again, your quote highlights a possible point where MJ may very well end up getting an OJ. If there are known and definite problems with the credibility of the eye witnesses, and I haven't heard of them as of yet, then MJ's lawyer may very well be able to exploit them on the way to a not guilty verdict.

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

No doubt, the losing lawyer is going to get raked over the coals.

The camera may well change the case. If the lawyers, judge and jury can keep their minds on the case, not the cmaeras, justice can be served...

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Heck, think about what will happen if Jackson is innocent? Imagine the shame the 'victims' family will feel. Basically the whole world knows they're not to be trusted.

17. Istolil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It all seems like one big publicity stunt to me. Michael hasn't really been in the news since that whole baby dangling incident ( If I remember correctly) and since the Janet boob thing, he's been forgotten. I wouldn't be surprised if some publicist decided to capitalize upon his weirdness and hired the family to come up with all the stories just to get him back in the spotlight. Sick as it may sound it is possible in this day and age. Don't be surprised if there's a mistrial or settlement before the end.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I heard that earlier today, the boy who MJ was accused of molesting was put on the stand. He admitted that he had a meeting with a guidance consellor (or something like that) in school. He was directly asked by the consellor if he had been molested by MJ, to which he answered "no". I don't trust this testimony completely. Yeah, MJ is crazy, but I'm not sure he's a child molestor.

19. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Aldeth,

I agree with you in that he may not be a child molester, but there is definitely something mentally wrong with him. Given the cost of his previous admitted behavior of sleeping (in a non-sexual way) with young boys, and his inability to cease this behavior, I believe that he definitely has some compulsive behavior and fixation on young boys. It may not be deviant, but it isn't healthy either (for him or the young children he is influencing with his behavior).

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    AFI - if a guidance counselor asked you anything about your personal life back when you were in school, especially if it were something shameful like this, would you have told him or her the truth?

I'm not saying anything other than I don't put much emphasis on what a kid told a guidance counselor, as there are plenty of issues here that would tend to go against a guilty verdict on child molestation.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.