1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Jan's Inventions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Master of Nuhn, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Jan Jansen, the Boo-hunting Gnomish thief/illusionist with the big family and an even better way with words, is said to be an NPC who would invent some items during the course of game. I'm almost in Suldanessellar and all I have seen of this sneaky person's inventions is the Jan Jansen's Flasher Master Bruiser Mate (TM).
    Does anyone know some other of his 'promissed' inventions?

2. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Only the stuff on him I guess for the course of this game. His not that bad though. But I dont know if he is in shape for the final battle.

[This message has been edited by Alienboy (edited January 12, 2002).]

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Alien, do you mean the items he has on him when you get him? If so, I think Master is talking more about items he makes during the game...

As far as I know of Jan doesn't. I've had him in nearly every party (as you said, good with words and turnips :D )

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The only items Jan invented in the game are the equipment he has on his body when he enters your party: His robe, gloves, goggles, crossbow and these skulls it fires. He can reproduce ammunition for his crossbow as an innate ability though. That's it.

5. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

His bruiser mates are very useful because they stun the victim which makes it easy for your melee fighters to chop your enemies down. Jan can make 5 bruiser mates once per day!

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

His "mates" are pure sh*t because of no enchantment. Such bolts can't even scratch half of opponents in the game.

I'd suggest you to dump all types of bolts except +2 ones.

7. zaknafein Guest

i like his mates. what about bolts of electricity? why dont you want them?

8. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Jan's bruiser mates are great esp. companied with Greater Malison.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I've already said what I should.
    Bolts +2 are the best bolts to get in SoA. Other bolts are not enchanted (except +1 ones).

And without enchantment - no damaging the opponents.

Arrows and bows have wider variety (i.e. arrows of detonation or self firing bows). The bullets are also nice - Sunstone ones are +4.

Recap: Crossbows in SoA are crap. That doesn't mean Jan is crap - if you know how to (ab)use that guy... But to keep Keldorn for crossbows...:rolleyes:

10. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

bleah, Jan bruiser mates does not to deal out damage. It just has to hit the person and stun it so your melee fighter can chop it down to size. It just a stun attack!!! So i dont think they are sh*t. Stunning the victim is great!!For example the celestial furry just a formidable weapon with out that stun ability it won't be as good as it is now.

11. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] You can't stun no enemy with those if the enemy is immune to normal weapons, pal!

How many times must I repeat this?

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found these mates quite usefull in the early game, but it didn't take long before I thought they were crap. And with them the Flasher Launcer +1.
    But what about the Jansen-Brand Techno-Thieving Gadgetizer gloves (pick pock/lock +20), or Jansen-Brand Metal-Repellant Adventure wear(dryclean only!)? and the Spectroscopes?

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited January 14, 2002).]

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True, Jans bruiser mates arent very useful. And the lack of enchanted bolts can also be pain. The bolts of biting are great but the lack of enchantment make them useless in any encounters.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Sometimes you guys astonish me .......... :grin:

hmm, just a stun attack ? You mean an attack that leaves your opponent help- and defenseless against further attack ? Perhaps with agnazar's scorcer, flame arrow, acid arrow, fireball, cloudkill .... (just to name a few) .... :rolleyes:

Actually my about favourite spells are non-damage spells like emotion, chaos, feeblemind, hold person, confusion, domination, idiocy and later the symbol and powerword spells. Sure, I learn defensive and armor spells as well as offensive/ countermagic stuff as well, but I think the best way to keep a mage safe and a fight easy is to disable your enemies. To dislike a spell or weapon effect (like Jan's bruiser mates) for it doesn't cause damage IMO is lacking long-sightetness.

Otherwise I'm with Extremist: Bolts +2 are very effective and about the most effective alltround bolts.

However, bolts of biting have the advantage to cause acid or poison (which one ?) damage that is handled just like a magical attack (given you hit). IIRC Jan's bruiser mate damage is handled the same way: when you hit it works like a spell - when you hit the target has to save or be stunned, when it's immune to magical weapons till +2 this doesn't really matter ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 14, 2002).]

15. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] I know we're getting a little off topic here, but I have to say that the lack of enchantment is not always a problem. A mage with stoneskin, for example, can be easily taken down with the bolts of lightning as the extra lightning damage bypasses the protection, thus interrupting spellcasting. Of course, Extremist is right in saying that +2 bolts are the best all around. However, we were given three ammunition slots for a reason; just because a weapon/spell/character/tactic/whatever isnt a regular workhorse, it doesnt mean that there isnt some application for it.

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have an aversion against spells that have a save. It seems like all enemies ahve ridicoulus low saving throws. Greater Malison doesnt lower it that much. I prefer straight out damaging spells and weapon effects.

17. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Greater Malison doesn't lower it that much? Opponents under influence of this spell make all saves with a -4 penalty! IMO, it quite a lot. Imagine 3 GM's in a Trigger/Sequencer (which?)...

And Ragusa...bolts of biting do 30 poison damage in 15 seconds, save vs. death for none. Just to answer your little question. :)

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited January 14, 2002).]

18. Lord Sarevok Guest

Greater Malisons stack? I wasn't aware of that...hmm. This could lead to some intresting spell sequencers for my Assassin/Mage :idea:! I don't think any spell would fail with 2 or 3 greater malisons in effect...

Ok if this is true, here's what I'm going to try:

Stuff 2 greater malisons and one Spook in a Spell Sequencer! I believe spook starts with a saving throw in the negatives and goes all the way down to -6 at higher levels. Could be great fun if used on a dragon!

19. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] But Greater Malison effect is not cumulative, so don't waste.

[This message has been edited by Laksol (edited January 15, 2002).]

20. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorry guys! :heh:
    Didn't know Greater malison was not cumulative. I usually put Greater Malison and Lower resistance in a sequencer and it works great!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.