1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just a bit of snow then...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    We have some light snow here, only a few centimeters. The problem is that most of it fell yesterday and is now hard, making the bicycle trip to the train station quite an adventure :)

2. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    hehe, it snowed maybe two time now here in Ottawa, and everytime it all melted. We usually have snow at this time of year. Maybe our snow all went to England... :D

3. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hmmf. Thanks for that Tri

The Americans do have it worse than us though. Well, their reporters do anyway....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  4. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    England? Read 'UK'. Despite what the English news would have you believe, it is rare that the snow is worse there. Of course, because it is less common, it seems to get more fuss (based on what I've seen, at any rate).

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    That's the thing really.

I've grown near the Alps and when I was a kid we used to have one meter of snow at times but it's been years since we had that much snow...

Do you guys in the UK have enough snow-ploughs? Be careful and don't drive without proper tyres unless you really have to and if you do remember, when you're not used to drive on snow the most important thing is to be very gentle. Whatever happens try to remain calm.

6. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

We don't have nearly enough snow ploughs or grit or proper tyres but there's no point really. It's really exceptionally rare for us to get weather like this, for all of my life snow in the winter meant a light dusting for a day or two at most. There's no point buying equipment for a week and half when it could be rusted before you even get to use it.

I had to get help to push my car into its parking space tonight. I made it ten miles fine but couldn't do the last three yards. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow if I can't get it out again.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Canada we call it a "snow day" and don't go out. Of course, by law (the "Winter Is Most Problematic" law, or WIMP for short), we need at least 23 feet of snow falling over 2 days to do that, so it only happens a couple of times a year.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I live in California. I took my family for a walk tonight. We had to put on coats. It was weird.

9. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    We've got mud and snow tyres on the pick-up and we're used to driving it round muddy fields. It's suprisingly similar

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was in a town in the UP of Michigan and saw the street signs. The normal street sign was at ~seven feet and their was a pole attached to it going up to ~20 feet with a smaller version of the sign. Right then and there I decided I did not want to be in that town during the winter. I'm just fine with the 4-7" predicted for tomorrow.

11. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

We were about 2 feet of snow I reckon so that wouldn't have worked :lol:. Besides I'm already way behind where I should be with my work as I've been trying to do someone else's job as well as she claims she can't get in.

---------- Added 0 hours, 23 minutes and 4 seconds later... ----------

From the BBC

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I live in the sub-sub-tropical north end of New Zealand, so no, no snow here ever. I'd have to drive 5 hours south to find snow, and even then it would be at the top of a mountain. I'd have to go much further south to see any snow at sea-level.

13. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

How to check how cold your place is...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The problem for us Dutch is that all the snow in the last 10 years mostly melts before it hits the ground, making the period from November to February one big rain period In which we sink into the mud for 20 cm. We were happy with a few days of frozen water just for bit of difference. It has to do with the sea climate we were told.

So we ignore winter tyres since it only last one or two days until last year. OK we know that once every 10 to 20 years we have one of those winters, so a lot of us think that will be it for the next years. Well, it is not.

Once of our clients is Yokohama. No need to tell how stressed the tyre pickers are.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.